Eldritch - Interview @ Greenlit Gaming

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Greenlit Gaming interviews David Pittman of Minor Key Games for a quick Q&A session.

Q: Whenever I hear about Eldritch the words “Roguelike”, “Roguelike-like” or even “Rogue-lite” tend to be not too far off in conversation. Do you feel these adjectives are fitting? In what way does Eldritch contain “Rogue-like” elements. (For those who don’t know, a Rogue-like is a game categorized by an incredible amount of randomization, procedural generation and permanent death. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike for more info)

I’m not a stickler when it comes to roguelike terminology, and I’ll usually call anything with random levels and permadeath a roguelike. But I recognize that many roguelike enthusiasts have a stricter definition of the term, so I usually speak about Eldritch being “inspired by” roguelikes instead. Eldritch is an action-oriented first-person game which contains roguelike elements in its use of randomly generated worlds and permanent player death.

I have tried to balance Eldritch such that it appeals to roguelike fans and non-fans alike. Eldritch is not immediately as difficult as other roguelike(-likes), and I hope that it may serve as a gateway for newcomers to the genre, or for anyone else who feels intimidated by the concept of permadeath. But there are also hidden secrets which exist to challenge veteran players, and I strongly encourage voluntary conduct-based challenges. I did a vegan/pacifist run once while testing the game, and it was an incredibly fresh and exciting experience.
More information.

keeping an eye on this one .. anyone here have impressions?

I do, I'll post them here in a bit. For now, I say you should wait before getting the game. The game is extremely short, I've beaten the game in two hours and some have beat it in an hour or less. The game is short on content, so it's not really repayable. The creator said he might add on more after the release, but for now that's only a maybe.

was about to buy it actually, holding off now. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom