The Witcher 2 - Gameplay Video @ GameStar

The graphics look really amazing. Nice how they were able to pull off the scabbard on the back. That seems to be a tough nut to crack. Also liked how the guards looked a bit fat and stupid. It's nice when they have a few different models for human characters so it's not based off of one stereotype npc.

Jumping looks like it's only at designated spots. Why not let the player jump when he wants to? Feels a bit limiting but I guess it's due to level design.

The combat looks alright I guess. Didn't look that different from W1 to me. You do seem to be able to block, was that in W1? If not then that's a great addition.

Wow!!

Hehe, putting out all those torches reminds me of Thief. Funny how nobody thinks its odd that so many torches would all go out at once.

NO LOADING TIME! Yeah, I think they learned their lesson from Witcher 1. And then some.

I wonder what the censorship story will be this time around? Will we have the option of hearing it in Polish with English subtitles?

The visuals are exceptional and there's no loading time.This is the first time I saw the covering system and the new fighting system and I must say that I'm impressed.

The graphics look really amazing. Nice how they were able to pull off the scabbard on the back. That seems to be a tough nut to crack. ....
The combat looks alright I guess. Didn't look that different from W1 to me. You do seem to be able to block, was that in W1? If not then that's a great addition.

Actually they didn't really pull off the scabbard - you can see major collision issues when he pulls the sword out and sheathes it. But at least there is a scabbard there and not a mysteriously floating sword. That's definitely a step in the right direction!

In TW1 Geralt performs blocks automatically provided you aren't issuing countermanding orders, you can't actually make him block by pressing a button.

One thing I like that seems to be a big improvement is that several guards realistically went down with one or two strikes, rather than stand there and take 5 minutes worth of punishment with a huge sword.

What's the deal with that annoying red light just to the right of the center of the screen?

The visuals are exceptional and there's no loading time.This is the first time I saw the covering system and the new fighting system and I must say that I'm impressed.

This is looking like a real winner! What I would really like to see is more realistic damage mechanics. In most/all games when an enemy is hit, you see maybe a little blood and/or a number of hit points floating around. I would like to see cuts and gashes made into the body of the enemy. When a critical hit is made, maybe an arm or tail falls off...

Actually they didn't really pull off the scabbard - you can see major collision issues when he pulls the sword out and sheathes it. But at least there is a scabbard there and not a mysteriously floating sword. That's definitely a step in the right direction!

I think it looks quite good, and the game isn't finished yet anyways.

What's the deal with that annoying red light just to the right of the center of the screen?

I was wondering the same thing. Some kind of glare, or reflection on the monitor?

Ah ! That's one of those games I've missed at the GamesCom.

The graphics look really amazing. Nice how they were able to pull off the scabbard on the back. That seems to be a tough nut to crack. Also liked how the guards looked a bit fat and stupid. It's nice when they have a few different models for human characters so it's not based off of one stereotype npc.
That's the trade-off isn't it. Either you use the same stock model for all characters and make the characters look unique on the non-standard parts (face, clothing, race). Or you make some 20 detailled models and use them for 200+ NPCs. This is not a problem for main/important quest characters whose models will be used only once, but the nameless louts, fighters and guards whose models are used for more than 1 character will stick out like a sore thumb because didn't you just see that same drunk fat dude next to that bearded tatoo'ed dude in the fighting ring in the last inn? Atleast, that's the way it was in The Witcher (1). Ofcourse kudos on the main characters being unique, but for the commoner characters it would be best not to make them too unique, because the more unique something looks, the more likely it is that you'll end up seeing their twins and clones everywhere.

Jumping looks like it's only at designated spots. Why not let the player jump when he wants to? Feels a bit limiting but I guess it's due to level design.
Would be neat, but since this game probably has cinematics that need to be triggered, allowing parkour-like gameplay would probably cause players to scale walls and end up somewhere without triggering the proper trigger.

That's the recording light of the recording camera of GameStar.

They weren't jacked into the video stream, but cammed the footage, you sometimes see a hand in the screen.

Last edited:
Great footage, thanks for passing it on.

That looked excellent! I loved the scabbard, collision or not. So tired of floating back weapons lol. Thanks for sharing the link. The gritty feel to the dungeon was very nice as well.

To bad I don't enjoy games that much with such fixed protagonists. I am almost tempted to try it anyhow - game looks great.

I think the red light is a reflection of the recording light from the camcorder recording the video.

Hmm, I couldn't make out too well what was said in the background.

It looked sort of rough, in terms of the combat animations and how they impacted the opponents.

Did they happen to mention if it that aspect was finished?

Did they happen to mention if it that aspect was finished?

They mentioned a lot of times in the GameTrailers cam walkthrough that they're still working on combat and it is in no way final.
Which is good because it was nowhere near impressive in the video, since it was neither visceral and action-y or tactical.

I'm expecting really good things from this game anyway.

They mentioned a lot of times in the GameTrailers cam walkthrough that they're still working on combat and it is in no way final.
Which is good because it was nowhere near impressive in the video, since it was neither visceral and action-y or tactical.

I'm expecting really good things from this game anyway.

That's a relief, and I had the same reaction as you!

Back
Top Bottom