Age of Conan - Interview @ CVG

Inauro

Watcher
CVG talks to Erling Ellingsen, Funcom's Product Director, about Age of Conan and the curent state of the MMORPG industry.
What's gone right for the genre, and where has it gone wrong over the years for the MMO?

Ellingsen: Things have definitively been moving in the right direction for the genre. We've seen a tremendous progress, and while there have been certain mistakes, I think they were necessary in terms of making sure there was a healthy evolution for the genre. The market has expanded dramatically thanks to World of Warcraft and more people are aware of these types of games today than when, for instance, Anarchy Online launched.
More information.

can we get a link to the interview???

Some interesting stuff in the brief article:
There are people who believe WoW has had a negative impact as millions are playing purely Blizzard's game and ignoring new titles released. What's your take on that opinion?

Ellingsen: I can certainly understand that perspective, but I would only be speculating if I commented on the validity of it. From personal experience, though, I can confirm that when you start playing these games you simply do not have the time to focus as much on other games.

That is an interesting thought - one thing that has kept me away from MMO's or even extensive multiplayer that requires any commitment (e.g. Guild Wars) is my desire to experience multiple games ... it only makes sense that the inverse is true as well.

Back
Top Bottom