NWN2 NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer rubberbadning?

Neverwinter Nights 2

Fnord

SasqWatch
Even though my experience with the (fully patched) original NWN2 (with other expansions installed) was less than pleasant (seriously bugged AI, camera getting stuck in the ceiling (which was said to have been fixed in an earlier patch, but I still had issues with it), boring story and so on), I've heard enough good about Mask of the Betrayer to give it a shot.
And right from the get-go I've started to run into a pretty annoying bug. Basically, when I move around I'll sometimes teleport back a few steps, similar to rubber banding in online games. But I'm not playing this game online, I'm playing it offline, in single player, and I can't figure out what is causing this. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem to this, and if so, is there a known solution?

*edit* I've found several other people reporting a similar issue, but none of their solutions seem to work for me. Restarting my computer did nothing and nor did the client extension program. Click to move solved the issue, but I found that control method awkward in NWN2.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. I've come to accept as a game engine flaw. Almost 6 years later and the game still is a resource hog.

It is pretty unplayable for me, I'm rubber banding back far too often. No other slowdown or anything is happening, the game runs smoothly... apart from the constant rubber banding.

It happened to me frequently in character mode. As far as I can remember it doesn't do it anywhere near as often in the overhead camera modes, especially if you click on a spot on the ground to move to rather than using click and hold.

Yes, that was my workaround. Don't move around too much in character mode. Use overhead as much as possible. As that was my preference anyway, the rubber banding didn't annoy me, too much.

BTW, it's an engine problem. The OC, and all expansions have this issue.

I don't remember having issues with this in the OC. Then again, I found so many other issues with it that I might not have noticed minor things like that :p And I really can't seem to get used to the overhead view. I have no problems with the isometric mouse driven controls of say Baldur's Gate, but here I just think it feels awkward.

There are a ton of settings for each of the views, and I had to tweak them to death to get comfortable. It was a major PITA but worth it. I could show you my settings, if you'd like to look.

I rage uninstalled the game late last night when all my tinkering just made things worse, and felt that I could do better things with those ~10gb that the game takes up. :(

I play game since it came out and I completed lot of playthroughs and I have never experienced any of those problems or any major bug on few different PCs(as I changed them over the years) and for my friend who bought game so we can play coop game was hardly playable for him.I guess game engine is full of gremlins who randomly decide to ruin game for someone.

Last edited:
NWN2 is the only modern D&D series I've never finished, and this is the reason why. I was always hoping that maybe the community would create a patch to fix the multitude of issues it still has.

It's a shame because I hear MotB has a great story...

This is the first I've ever heard of this bug. I'm lucky I guess played the OC through twice with no problems I can remember. Only ever made it half way through MOTB. Didn't like the spirit hunger thing, found it more annoying than innovative.

I play game since it came out and I completed lot of playthroughs and I have never experienced any of those problems or any major bug on few different PCs(as I changed them over the years) and for my friend who bought game so we can play coop game was hardly playable for him.I guess game engine is full of gremlins who randomly decide to ruin game for someone.
Yea, I guess that is the case. I've come to accept the fact that most great & innovative titles have its fare share of bugs, but few major releases seem to have as many potential game breakers as NWN 2.

It's a shame because I hear MotB has a great story…
People have said that it is the closest thing to Planescape since Planescape, and that is really the highest level of praise a story can get. Had it not been for this, I would never have bothered with getting the game (I did not like NWN 1, its story was really bland, and its portrayal of the setting even more so)

I've had similar issues, but never to the extend that you just experienced. A shame, as MotB is a good game. Speaking of which, I should replay NWN2, MotB and SoZ one of these days..

Back
Top Bottom