Fallout 3 - Faults in Oblivion that Bethsoft Must Rectify

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This is a topic that has been visited before. Gameplayer has a 6-page piece of Oblivion faults that Bethsoft needs to fix for Fallout 3:
Open World: Oh yes, Oblivion had a friggin’ massive world alright – around 42 square kilometers in fact. Unfortunately, this sense of openness and exploration was a little bit of an illusion. After witnessing the surrounding forests, roaming animals and sequestered fortresses, it became quickly apparent that everything started to repeat itself, ad nauseum. Oh yay, yet another bloody cave system, and then another fort with exactly the same interior. And don’t even get us started on the Oblivion gates….actually, they’re next.
More information.

Welcome to the party, guys, you're about two years too late.

Looking forward to reading all of the A+++ 10/10 5/5 reviews for Fallout 3 which will ignore all sorts of major serious faults, which will finally be discussed two years later when Elder Scrolls V is about to come out.

For some reason I can only view the first page of this article, I can see no link there to view the other pages.

I agree with article, but I do not believe Bethesda will fix all this. Well, actually I don't think anything important will be fixed. Beth is dumbing down the games, because games like that sells better. Well, times of Morrowind and Fallout are behind us. And the worst thing in Oblivion - level scalling - will be also in F3. I lost the link but they said already there are four difficulty levels: "Easy", "Medium", "Hard" and one that scales to player's skills.

I anticipate Bethsoft saying, "Oblivion made huge profits, let's copy and paste as much of it's game elements as possible in order to rake in as much cash".

Really, it will likely be a FPS, post-apocalypse, action-fest, with tons of explosive eye candy, and very little development & depth WRT NPC's and dialogue. The latter 2 elements require more thought, artistry, time, money and resources than a greedy MegaCorp is willing to provide.

Besides, a dumbed-down gaming populace is easier to herd and hype.

Fallout may have been innovative, but for me it was an extraordinary borefest. Oblivion was an okay-but-not-good game, so those two would probably make an awesome couple.

Well, if you preferred Oblivion to Fallout 1 & 2, then you are at least partly responsible for the degeneration of RPGs into first-person, eye-candy clickfests. And the monopolizing corporate mainstream thanks you.

It's true, and the truth hurts. The Morrowind/Oblivion RPG model has eradicated the Baldur's Gate / Fallout / Planescape : Torment / Arcanum / Ultima models via corporate conformity and industry monopolization.

One's purchase in the RPG marketplace is a vote. Get enough people voting for dumbed-down, first-person, eye-candy clickfests, and that's exactly what will dominate the current RPG paradigm.

But apparently, some LIKE it that way.....

I bought Oblivion :[ Actually I thought it's a better Morrowind, but I failed in that and bought cRPG* that I didn't want :| Anyway you are right RPfan, but I do not think this is the problem. The problem isn't that there are games like Oblivion, but the problem is there are no games like PST/Fallout/BG.

* - rather casualRPG, not computerRPG ;)

It's true, and the truth hurts. The Morrowind/Oblivion RPG model has eradicated the Baldur's Gate / Fallout / Planescape : Torment / Arcanum / Ultima models via corporate conformity and industry monopolization.

One's purchase in the RPG marketplace is a vote. Get enough people voting for dumbed-down, first-person, eye-candy clickfests, and that's exactly what will dominate the current RPG paradigm.

But apparently, some LIKE it that way.....

Yeah. It's a bit more complicated than the "truth" you self-defined there. When Arcanum's sales in failed to secure a sequel from Sierra, what were gamers voting for in your paradigm? Not Morrowind, obviously, because it hadn't been released in 2001.

Other people might mount an argument that Baldur's Gate was already dumbed down with it's real-time-with-pause and complete lack of roleplaying choices - did you contribute to the downfall of the genre by buying Baldur's Gate?

Oh, and a big thumbs up for Jaz, whatever the hell she likes.

Yes, all praise Oblivion and Morrowind. The only standard of gaming greatness is one of mass acceptance and profit raking. If it doesn't have tons of first-person eye-candy, then it's BOR-ing.

then it's BOR-ing.

Maybe rather BETH-ing ?

;)

And let's admit it: The "streamlining" has just begun with Blizzard, and you know how long ago THAT was ...

Fallout 3 Dialogue:

I saw a radscorption yesterday!
1. Rumours
2. Goodbye

Yes, all praise Oblivion and Morrowind. The only standard of gaming greatness is one of mass acceptance and profit raking. If it doesn't have tons of first-person eye-candy, then it's BOR-ing.

Baldurs gate actually did have mass acceptance unlike fallouts or torment. BG sold millions. Its no wonder if pc players are gifted with spiritual sequel like dragon age. But as dhruin allready said "Baldur's Gate was already dumbed down with it's real-time-with-pause" so perhaps it doesnt count.

I have always liked elder scrolls series but I have never expected it to be a real rpg. The first game in the series was basicly fantasy doom with rpg elements and Im happy if it stays at that.

Back
Top Bottom