KoA: Reckoning - A Game You Should Play

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Rock Paper Shotgun have an article on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in which the author is wondering why not more people have played the game.
Amalur is impressive on a number of levels. The two most important are its distilling of the very best of an action-RPG MMO into a single-player game, and its meta-commentary on the very nature of games. But don’t be put off by either! No, really, don’t! I want to explore those two.
It’s not a surprise that the game should have so many similarities with a game like World Of Warcraft. Of the two teams that made it, 38 Studios and Big Huge Games, the former was already working on an MMO. The doomed developer, with all that money via the deals of baseballist Curt Schilling, had been developing a massive universe along with author R.A. Salvatore, with a 10,000 year history, and all the background needed to create an ongoing, online game. After 38 bought BHG, along with them came not only the Big Huge Engine, but an RPG they’d been working on for THQ. The two, like the studios, were combined. Goodness knows what either might have been, but the combination is a purely single-player RPG with the depth and breadth of an online world.
More information.

I agree that it's a game you should play. If you're reading this and haven't played it yet, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. One of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I haven't played it yet and I was pretty clear why and how can you persuade me to do it. BRING ME NONRESPAWNING MOD!

I've bought it on Origin sale, but it'll gather dust till I see no respawns mod.

I could argue about why not to but yeah what are you waiting for buy it. Wont matter now anyway.:)

The developers are gone and the money goes to who the hell knows. Maybe EA or the creditors who lost allot of money.

Last edited:
I played it. I was disappointed, both LoG and Avernum combined were enough to knock the taste of KoA outta my mouth. I guess if you get it for free and are stuck like, in prison, it could be amusing.

-Carn

I bought the game and played about 20 hours. But for me, the damn camera just became exhausting to deal with. 20 hours and I still couldn't train my brain to stop trying to increase the FOV. I really just can't stand how close the camera is to your character - as superficial as that sounds I guess I have issues with that.

Tried the Demo, that was enough for me.
Though I would like to thank you for telling what games I should enjoy.

Celtic

I played the game for around 65 hours and have just barely gotten off the first continent and had not touched any side quests in the desert area. There was almost too much stuff to do, and eventually the sameness of the structure of the quest progression chased me away, to dream land

my wife enjoyed the game and beat it. she didnt care much for the combat and played it on easy which made most of the combat trivial. i have a small kindred connection to an ex 38 studio's employee and may play it sometime, but my massive backlog has higher priority.

Finished it once, tried to start another character but couldn't play any longer. The extremely low difficulty is what got to me. While there were some (I can really only remember 1 atm) challenging bosses, it was by and large a cakewalk. A cousin of mine sat down to play while I was talking to some people and proceeded to own everything by just left clicking away (this was at the highest difficulty level).

Game had some good points, but a lack of any difficulty whatsoever and a largely uninteresting world holds it back. Good enough to play through once though.

I did. It just wasn't very good.

Too easy and area level locking ruined it for me.

I haven't played it because of the consistent comments that the storyline is uninteresting. Fun mechanics and environments can only take me so far in enjoyment. That said, if/when it goes on bigtime sale I'm pretty sure I'll give it a try.

I suppose if you've already played all the best ones in the genre, and you don't have much else to play - this is as good a choice as any. In fact, maybe without all the massive pre-release hype ringing in your ears - it might be easier to appreciate.

To be fair, it's not terrible. I'd say it's a slightly above average game. Better than Arcania, anyway.

It is funny enough to play it. The beginning of the game is nice, but somewhere in the middle I got bored. Quests system could not keep keep me playing. Tedious. But at least the first half of the game is quite OK.

I played a dozen or so hours of the main plot which I found a bit average and then dove into the expansion 'Teeth of Naros' which was excellent. Once I finished Naros I felt inspired me to fire up LOTRO because the MMO'ish feel of Amular made me nostalgic. I'll revisit it once I purge the addiction (again).

Fun game. Can't be in my best RPG list but still deserves to be played. Some MMO aspects can be annoying like respawning and random loot. Also there are some silly MMO style fedex quests. But main story, quests and npcs are interesting enough. By the way vanilla game is too easy for my taste. So I had to use HeartCore Mod to make the game challenging. Combat is fun. You can use different technics with different weapons.

My suggestions to the people who will try the game: Run KoA with the mod I mentioned above. Also don't try to solve every quest, open every chest, collect every plants. Instead focus on main and faction quests.

Back
Top Bottom