Exp:Conq RPGWatch Feature: Expeditions: Conquistador - Review

Expeditions: Conquistador

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
GhanBuriGhan jumped on the review copy I had to offer for Expeditions: Conquistador and came back with a lot of things to tell us about the game.
Combat is brutal: while ranged attacks may miss, melee attacks always hit, though damage is variable. It's an interesting choice that works well: you'll get the nail-biting "please, please, hit!" effect when your hunter tries to take out an enemy that is bound to incapacitate one of your soldiers the next round. At the same time you get a considerable amount of predictability for the melee units, which supports tactical decision making: if a combatant gets surrounded and attacked by two or three opponents he will usually be incapacitated in the same round. An incapacitated follower has a chance of receiving a wound of varying degrees of severity, which after the battle will need to be treated in camp before the follower can be used again.
In most battles your goal is simply to eliminate the opposition, but some scenarios have you fight a defensive battle, where your objective is to survive a number of rounds, or where you have to get everyone to an escape zone instead. I found that a "victory" often meant having one or two doomed men left standing surrounded by enemies when the counter ran out and the opposition miraculously decided that I had beaten them after all. A bit too abstract for my liking, but the different win conditions force you to use different strategies, so from a gameplay perspective it does add variety.
More information.

This must be one of the longest reviews we ever had on RPGWatch, but it remains to be interesting throughout the entire review.
Very well done GhanBuriGhan and thanks for doing this for RPGWatch.

Thank you GhanBuriGhan - very informative :thumbsup:

I hope you'll review some more games for us in future.

If it wasn't for my loyalty to Codexia, I would say your review is definetly superior to ours. Good job bro.

Well done, especially the two-forked commentary about what some are cheerleading as "finally no high fantasy" (as if that was a quality in itself) but then highlighting some of the problems that come with such a setting.

"Finally no high fantasy" is no quality in itself, but it is certainly refreshing after playing 100+x tolkienesque fantasy games.

"Finally no high fantasy" is no quality in itself, but it is certainly refreshing after playing 100+x tolkienesque fantasy games.

it's refreshing if it's well done. The difficulties of which our reviewer pointed out eloquently.

Nice review GBG. I was originally going to pass on this due to lack of interest in the setting. After reading your review though, I might have to give it a try.

Great review. One thing though, there is an option to speed up animation (combat speed).

Nice review, and it's worth noting the first patch is due tomorrow, which will sort out a few bugs.

Daniel.

This is an awsome review. If I didn't play the game already, after this read I'd definetly buy it. And that game deserves to be bought.
GBG, I'm looking forward to more work of yours!

Nice job, leader of the Wild Men.

This is exactly what I look for in a review - especially when the subject is a game that I know very little about but have an interest in. Informative, easy to read, very thorough, and objective. Nice work GhanBuriGhan, and congratulations on a great first review!

After reading this review and a few others, I think I'll give Conquistador a go. It seems pretty stable (with post-release support apparently on the way to iron out the smaller problems) and refreshingly unique.

Thanks all for the kind words, I am glad and a little relieved that you enjoyed it. And apologies to Myrthos and the other editors for the length - he may have regretted that fateful " there is no word limit" in an email to me...

Thanks all for the kind words, I am glad and a little relieved that you enjoyed it. And apologies to Myrthos and the other editors for the length - he may have regretted that fateful " there is no word limit" in an email to me…

What a kindness towards you, aint it lovely :)
Anyways, great piece of text!
Something to read at work..

Definitely a top-notch review with plenty of relevant depth and detail.

Much appreciated!

Despite all the praise this game seems to be getting, I'm just not interested in it at all. I wonder why... Not quite sure.

It's even by struggling Danish developers! I should get it just to support them.

Great review! I found it very detailed and it had a lot of depth to it. I have been meaning to pick the game up, but was willing to wait a bit. But, after reading your review, i'm not going to wait. I am picking it up after work today. Hope you write more reviews for the site.

Outstanding work!
An excellent review indeed.
The game seems very interesting. Thank you for the insight and the effort put into the text!

Back
Top Bottom