Obsidian Entertainment - Tim Cain Joins?

In other news, Obsidian announces new Steampunk IP blending elements of Fallout and Arcanum! Chris Avellone and newly-hired Tim Cain are expected to lead the project.

Oh, I can dream.

I wonder, will he be working on the new game with the franchise they couldn't say no to? I still wanna know what franchise it is. They said it's an animated series but I can't imagine it being a western animated series. It'd have to be something that's a cartoon-only and what does America make like that? Adventure Time? My Little Pony? The Simpsons? Family Guy? I don't see any of that. Venture Bros? Archer? An Archer RPG would be the best thing ever made, possibly. But I don't see that.. sadly. =(

That leaves anime. And that leaves me kinda in the cold. :( I hope it's announced soon.

Alright, but I hope you're not thinking my plea to the moderators is some sort of extreme reaction! I've felt pushed out of gaming site after gaming site by this kind of behavior and I'm getting very tired of it. The fear that this site may get overrun by bigotry is quite valid. My point about the codex was an indicator that it has happened elsewhere- that means it could happen here. Vigilance and all that.

I think banning people for one non-PC remark is extreme. Lots of people are sickened by gays - and it's a natural reaction if you're repressing something or just uncomfortable with people not being like yourself.

Many don't say it openly, however, but that in itself is hardly cause for a permanent ban. At least, I like the Watch for being calm about such things.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for this debate.

I doubt it is well on its way when a lot of senior developers leave. Maybe they overreached. An older talk hinted at Tim Cain working on an end-game questing system.

Did a lot of senior developers leave? Because aside from Tim Cain I haven't heard of anyone else, but I haven't been following WildStar's development closely. Either way, that's the impression I got from what has been shown.

I really could care less about Tim Cain and Obsidian, but regarding bigotry, outright deleting or banning folks seems perfectly reasonable to me. What if I started posting on your site about how I hate goddamned niggers? Or calling people kike, spic, etc.? Bigotry is bigotry and should be rejected.

Fallout 1+2
Stonekeep
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil
Bloodlines

not a bad back catalog ...

Might as well move this thread to Politics and Religion.

The best thing to happen to CRPGs since Obsidian got their hands on the Fallout IP and it's repeatedly sidetracked.

Did a lot of senior developers leave? Because aside from Tim Cain I haven't heard of anyone else, but I haven't been following WildStar's development closely.
Atleast the lead designer (Tim), lead musician (Valve), lead artist (Disney) left this summer. Though they did hire Tim's better half (if shaky rumors are to be believed). :D

In other news, Obsidian announces new Steampunk IP blending elements of Fallout and Arcanum! Chris Avellone and newly-hired Tim Cain are expected to lead the project.

Oh, I can dream.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry got a little excited about your post. Can you provide a link. Drooling may be involved if you do post that link though.

Wait….dream???? You weren't serious. KKKKKKHHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously what you just said would make my day. It would be an instant buy no matter the DRM, bugs or whatever. I will have this game…….if they one day have the same dream.

@Michael Dean nice to see an old BIS employee visit these boards :) I see you are also credited for Deus Ex. I read the Masters of Doom book a couple of weeks ago and it seems working at ION must have been quite the experience (You probably were at Austin so perhaps things were better there )

I had completely forgot about Tim. Too bad it didn't work out with Trokia but I hope working at OE will be enjoyful and productive for both parties.

I don't know much about this character, but if this action of incorporation will lead to a game similar and immerse as Arcanum, I will be more then happy even if a false rumour and wait for this game even if will come out in 2020.

I remember Feargus in an interview posted on the 'Watch earlier this year talking about some of their older IPs like Icewind Dale and how much they'd possibly like to revisit them and perhaps do a sequel. *Tries to connect the dots*

Tim Cain + Icewind Dale setting + Onyx Engine = ? *Haphazard guess*
(Or something more adventurously daring...)
Tim Cain + Chris Avellone + Onyx Engine + Planescape setting = ?? :)

I'm drawing a long bow here of course, but we're daring to dream here aren't we?

Even NMA has expressed the hope of possibly seeing Tim reunited with the Fallout IP in some shape or form. Now wouldn't that be something? I wonder if it feels like a home-coming for him.

Tim Cain + Chris Avellone + Onyx Engine + Planescape setting = ?? :)

A real sequel to Torment or anything officially using the Planescape setting is very very unlikely at this point. TSR/WotC didn't respect the setting when it came out cuz it didn't sell like FR, Ravenloft or even Dark Sun. It's biggest commercial success was probably Torment. I kinda feel that it is very unlikely it'll be back in any form whatsoever. It even feels like, with 3E, they tried their hardest to alienate folks who really dug the Planescape setting with the dissolution of the factions and suddenly jamming a number of PS-races into the Forgotten Realms setting. Of course, with WotC re-hiring Monte Cook, they may be planning some sort of Dark Sun-esque relaunch. I doubt it though. He's probably making 5e. :(

I honestly don't feel WotC feels like licensing anything outside of Forgotten Realms for videogames. I'd love to see a new Planescape, or Dark Sun, or Ravenloft or whatever... I just don't see that happening because Forgotten Realms has always been the setting that lead to the BIG sales videogame wise. Shame.

I remember Feargus in an interview posted on the 'Watch earlier this year talking about some of their older IPs like Icewind Dale and how much they'd possibly like to revisit them and perhaps do a sequel. *Tries to connect the dots*

Yeah but just because Feargus expresses some wishes doesn't mean it's gonna happen ;-). For Icewind Dale 3 to happens, they'd obviously need to license the D&D IP so talk with WotC for this and all... Not saying this wouldn't happen, but there are lot of external elements to consider before for Obsidian to do another D&D game to happen. Well at least it's more likely to happen than an Obisdian Ultima game I guess.

Even NMA has expressed the hope of possibly seeing Tim reunited with the Fallout IP in some shape or form. Now wouldn't that be something?

This could happen if Bethesda licenses Obsidian again to make a new Fallout game after Fallout 4... but that'd still be years away, assuming Tim Cain is still at Obsidian by then.

-Sergorn

I really could care less about Tim Cain and Obsidian, but regarding bigotry, outright deleting or banning folks seems perfectly reasonable to me. What if I started posting on your site about how I hate goddamned niggers? Or calling people kike, spic, etc.? Bigotry is bigotry and should be rejected.

That just feeds into their martyr complex. 'Oh noes! Those damned minorities are taking over and threatening us poor helpless majority types!'

There's always going to be people who think like him and have a desire for that sort of heated, controversial and even offensive discussion on the net. Deleting their logins won't delete the people. Better to just move it to a specific area like religion and politics, then people can see it for what it is, respond intelligently, unintelligently or simply just ignore it. At least there you know what you are getting into if you check those threads. We definitely don't need provocatory flame bait comments coming out of left field in the news posts though.

Heh. I'm not sure Cain is the answer. I've really enjoyed many of the games he's worked on, some of my favorites of all time in fact. But even those favorites were awful bug ridden messes. I wonder if Obsidian's bugs & Cain's bugs will cancel each other out or prevent them from ever publishing something ever again. :)

I'm kidding of course, mostly.

Still, best of luck to Cain and Obsidian.

You know, it's interesting, I have read the complaints about bugs in Obsidian, Troika, and Black Isle games, but I don't really remember ever experiencing any that were that awful myself. I remember never finishing a quest in Arcanum (to enter the mines I believe) because I couldn't find whatever the needed entry item was (this was back in 2003/2004, so my memory is a little hazy). I assumed that maybe a bug was involved, but I also could have unwittingly sold the item or something. I was able to finish Fallout and Fallout 2 without patches nearly 15 years ago and I never experienced anything game-breaking. I finished New Vegas not too long ago and only experienced one game crashing bug for a quest, which I was able to solve by downloading a mod. I finished Alpha Protocol pretty recently too, though that was on Steam and was probably patched to the hilt by the time I got to it.

My point is that I haven't had the problems others seem to have had, but they have been some of the highest quality/depth games I have ever played. So, I guess I have very little problem with them being buggy as long as they continue making great games (and eventually solve the bugs with patches…).

Back
Top Bottom