Do you 3D

No, just tried it and I don't get any ghosting at all around the "test" word or anywhere else. Thankfully.

I tried notepad, text document, rich text document and internet page (chrome). No ghosting on any of them.

Good luck hope your as happy with yours as I am mine. Keep us posted.

Well, in 3D mode I expect the dead pixel (assuming it's just one) shouldn't be as terrible as in 2D mode. The 'hole' will appear at different places for each eye so hopefully your brain will just edit it out. Unfortunately, you won't always be in 3D mode.

Any luck on the return?

Sorry to hear that hopefully you'll be able to exchange it.

Asus policy isnt very good when it comes to dead pixels. You have to have atleast 5 dead ones before you are eligable for return.

Edit

Today when i opened the screen it was there again. After a while thoug it started to fade and went completely black.

However after a while of using the screen I dont even notice the single dead pixel. Its pretty much invisible.

Last edited:
After some testing it seems that sometimes the 3d effect works and sometimes the glasses dont do anything. Yesterday I played left4dead in 3d ok, today its all red ghosted. Im charging the glasses constantly so that should not be a problem.

I put everything back to default including the asus screen settings and nvidia stereoscopic settings. Glasses are fully loaded. Restarted PC. Yet when I start any game there is 0% difference whether I wear the glasses or not. :/

Last edited:
RED ghosted!? That sounds almost like the drivers reverted and started showing the old anaglyph method. Check the control panel. Does it still recoginze your new monitor?

Is the emitter's green light turning bright when you start the game? Have you tried toggling the 3D effect on and off? (I think it's control-T by default. I changed it to Scroll Lock, myself.)

RED ghosted!? That sounds almost like the drivers reverted and started showing the old anaglyph method. Check the control panel. Does it still recoginze your new monitor?
Hmm. At first there was some other monitor but then I changed it to asus. Not sure if I remembered to revert this back to the default one.
Is the emitter's green light turning bright when you start the game? Have you tried toggling the 3D effect on and off? (I think it's control-T by default. I changed it to Scroll Lock, myself.)
Yes. I tried. Nothing helped.

I contacted both asus and retailer. I Have no idea what warrantee I exactly have (its complex and all info isnt available) but the retailer accepted the return so I returned it yesterday. Im not sure if they will accept it when they see it but I did have one bright (asus has certain zero policy on this) dead pixel (bright red on black) and also asus has somekind of 7-day return policy too which might give special privilidges. Plus the retailer might have some policy of its own.

I liked the 3D but othervice the screen was a bit too big for the table I used. Its stand took like over half of the table space. I would need to wall-mount it. The screen was also way too bright for my better half who gets headache from bright light sources (she uses grey dimmed glasses in work).

Im not sure if the monitor had seperate 2D and 3D settings but we had to turn 2D brighthness way down. Even I thought it to be too bright.

I did play left4dead just because it had 3D so I guess there is somekind of draw. Mass effect 3 however didnt feel any special.

Hmm. At first there was some other monitor but then I changed it to asus. Not sure if I remembered to revert this back to the default one.

Yes. I tried. Nothing helped.

I contacted both asus and retailer. I Have no idea what warrantee I exactly have (its complex and all info isnt available) but the retailer accepted the return so I returned it yesterday. Im not sure if they will accept it when they see it but I did have one bright (asus has certain zero policy on this) dead pixel (bright red on black) and also asus has somekind of 7-day return policy too which might give special privilidges. Plus the retailer might have some policy of its own.

I liked the 3D but othervice the screen was a bit too big for the table I used. Its stand took like over half of the table space. I would need to wall-mount it. The screen was also way too bright for my better half who gets headache from bright light sources (she uses grey dimmed glasses in work).

Im not sure if the monitor had seperate 2D and 3D settings but we had to turn 2D brighthness way down. Even I thought it to be too bright.

I did play left4dead just because it had 3D so I guess there is somekind of draw. Mass effect 3 however didnt feel any special.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with your asus. I've been lucky and have had a very positive experience.

The 2d brightness out of the box was way to bright, mine was defaulted to 90 for some reason but it does have separate settings for 2d and 3d.

I was hooked on pc 3d gaming immediately after trying it but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. It's one more thing to configure, it doesn't work with all games and some people get eyestrain or even headaches.

I don't mind the 1 time configuration for some games and don't suffer any eye strain though, so for me there currently is no more immersive way to game than pc 3d.

Have you tried 3D in mass effect 3? It was one of the games i tested and I think it wasnt good in that game. I didnt try different settings though.

In comparison to some other games i.e left4dead 2 looked good in 3D.

I was having a fever while testing the 3D so the conditions were not optimal. :)

so far I've played 3d in three games. Star Wars: The Old Republic (it was awesome there), Skyrim (3d was so so) and Mass Effect 3 (3d in there sucked more than anything has sucked before)

Have you tried 3D in mass effect 3? It was one of the games i tested and I think it wasnt good in that game. I didnt try different settings though.

In comparison to some other games i.e left4dead 2 looked good in 3D.

I was having a fever while testing the 3D so the conditions were not optimal. :)

No, I have not tried mass effect. Unfortunately 3d doesn't work for all games. Not sure if that's the case with mass effect though. @zloth would probably know better than me.

@wolfing did you try the 3d compatibility mod for skyrim? I thought skyrim 3d was very good. My opinion, of course.

No, I have not tried mass effect. Unfortunately 3d doesn't work for all games. Not sure if that's the case with mass effect though. @zloth would probably know better than me.

@wolfing did you try the 3d compatibility mod for skyrim? I thought skyrim 3d was very good. My opinion, of course.

3d compatibility mod? no, I did try some of the things I found when I googled but nothing did much. Basically compared to SW:TOR it was not even close.

Skyrim wasn't even close to SW:TOR. Then HeliX showed up and turned everything on its head. He made a d3d9.dll that sits between Skyrim and DirectX and lets us fiddle with shaders. This makes a H U G E difference. Skyrim was pretty much perfect at version 1.4 with the 3D Vision Compatibility Project mod. 1.5 made a mess of things but HeliX has gotten most of the problems under control now. I may even let Skyrim update after this weekend. ;)

He's also got a fix for Mass Effect 3. Full game list is here: http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

Best of all, he's got a debug version that will let you fiddle with shaders yourself. I haven't messed with it yet but it looks a lot better than playing the "pray for NVIDIA/developers to take pity on you" system.

This is also the same kind of hack that people would use to make walls see-through. Some of the big multi-player games will likely flag you as a cheater if you try using something like this.

@zloth, I download the shadow fix from helix blog site. As far as I know you just extract it to the skyrim data folder and overwrite everything? Is that right as I did it and shadows are still messed up. It's just a d3d9.dll, dx9settings.ini and a shaderoveride folder correct? or i'm I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok, Apparently you put them right into the skyrim folder not the data folder. I just assumed the data folder because that's where those folders are in my regular install.

3d is great again. 2d however has no shadows and some screen flickering. Not sure if it's the mod or the fact that I installed to my data folder first. Anyway I don't care as i'll only play in 3d but if anyone plans to play in 2d sometimes you might not want to install this just yet.

Back
Top Bottom