Scars of War - Falling Out

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Scars of War developer Gareth Fouche reveals on his blog that - shock, horror - he hadn't previously played Fallout. The entry then goes on to describe one particular experience that illustrates one of Fallout's core strengths (spoilers, I suppose - but you've all played it, right?):
The interesting part for me was how the interrogation played out. Every time I refused to answer he hit me, in the normal game view. Now most games use cut-scenes for this kind of scenario and the funny thing is that robs it of some of the drama. It’s like the designer is winking at you to let you know that this part of the game is “special” so you don’t worry so much about making the wrong choice. When was the last time a cut-scene killed you, the player? Most are there to provide a kind of drama but the fact that you don’t have much control over the event means it is unlikely the designer would kill you in such a manner, which in turn decreases drama, ironically.
More information.

When was the last time a cut-scene killed you, the player?
In Call of Duty 4. Actually, unbeknownst of the big picture at the very beginning, you can count two times. Both were shocking and yet tremendously fun, in a way.

Dragon's Lair, a million times.

I'm cheating a little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom