Skyrim - Dawnguard for PC Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft let us know Dawnguard for PC is now available on Steam:
As revealed earlier today at QuakeCon 2012, we’re pleased to announce that Dawnguard™, the first official game add-on for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim®, is now available to PC users. The English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions can be downloaded from Steam for $19.99.
The Vampire Lord Harkon has returned to power. Using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable - to end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him, or will you yourself become a Vampire Lord? Featuring an all new faction questline, new locations, weapons, creatures and more; the ultimate choice will be yours.

For more information on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® or Dawnguard™, please visit www.elderscrolls.com.
Thanks also to Draekros for sending in the same item.
More information.

That came out of no where. i wasn't expecting it for a couple of months.

I'll wait till it lowers to a maximum $10....

Still play from time to time a new mod or so, not in too much hurry to spend $20,00...

So if Skyrim cost me 60 bucks and this DL cost 20 bucks. that means this DL has about a third new content compared to the original game??? I am so there . . . . .

It could be free, I will never install it. Anyone that gives blatant preference to crappy consoles gets no extra cash from me. And from what I hear, I'm not missing anything in this.

-Carn

I won't be buying this because while I can say that I have enjoyed playing Skyrim, I don't think they've done a particularly good job of squashing quest bugs - and there are still soooooo many of them after all this time. So no, I won't buy this.

I can't blame Beth for releasing it on XBox first considering they are literally getting paid too. What was the last decent game a communist country put out: Tetris?

The odd quest bug is no big deal for me - especially because they are so few and the game is so big, big, big.

I bought this last month but I can't be bothered to play it. I've had my fill of Skyrim after I took an arrow to the knee.

So I don't get it general suggestion here from the watchers is to not support fully the company who brought us the game?

I think my $60 was support enough. I'm not into werewolves and vampires, so I can miss this DLC.

No free ride for any developers. They have to bring us value for my hard earned gold. :)

If you didn't enjoy Skyrim, then I'm guessing you probably won't enjoy Dawnguard.

In my case, Skyrim has already been a much greater value than any other game I've ever played. I've logged over 700 hours since release across four different characters and there are still a lot of quests I haven't even touched yet. On top of that I've also had a lot of fun with many different free mods that were only possible because of the Creation Kit, and I've had fun playing around making mods in the CK for a few hundred hours myself.

Dawnguard adds some new areas, two new faction questlines and enough new gameplay features that it provides incentive enough for me to do another two or three playthroughs, once siding with the Dawnguard, another siding with the Volkihar and perhaps a third playthrough as a werewolf. Each playthrough seems to last around 100-200 hours.

I'd be happy to kick another $20 their way, just because of the great value I've already received, but it seems clear Dawnguard will provide at least another few hundred hours of entertainment. This is not a Mass Effect or Dragon Age DLC where you pay $10 for a linear mission that lasts 4 or 5 hours and get a squad member.

I won't be buying this because while I can say that I have enjoyed playing Skyrim, I don't think they've done a particularly good job of squashing quest bugs - and there are still soooooo many of them after all this time. So no, I won't buy this.

I don't know whether there will be a lot of bugs in Dawnguard or not, but so far in Skyrim I've only encountered four bugs.

1. Last year I noticed that if I played for a very long session, my VRAM buffer would get filled and some textures would turn purple. This was fixed by patch 1.1 or 1.2 back in November or December.

2. During my first playthrough, Louis Letrush somehow cloned himself after I completed his quest and I had two or three Louis Letrushes standing around outside Whiterun. Don't know if this was ever fixed or not as I have not done any Thieves Guild quests with my subsequent characters

3. I killed a couple of dragons that didn't release their souls. I'm not even sure if this is a bug, as I think it has to do with killing a dragon that respawns in the same area. Only happened during one playthrough a long time ago.

4. I had a radiant quest I did for the Companions that stayed in my active quest log after I completed it.

Apart from the purple textures, none of these bugs had any effect at all on my enjoyment of the game and I haven't experienced any other problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
No free ride for any developers. They have to bring us value for my hard earned gold. :)

Absolutely agree. Skyrim is surprisingly one of the best game I have ever played but if they want me to pay big bucks for a DLC, then I want to see my money's worth.

I was keen initially, but I gave up on my second playthrough (168 hours in total so far) a few weeks back and this simply doesn't inspire me to start up again. If it had been a real expansion a la Blood Moon or Shivering Isles (unique, different landmass/setting etc) then I would be keen, but treading the same places (mostly) in Skyrim for the umpteenth time - I actually feel nauseous thinking about it. And certainly not for $20

Can't get my head around some of the comments, I must say. I probably won't be rushing out to buy it but only because I still have enough left to do in the main game. But the value, hours-per-dollar, support of consoles or any other peripheral crap just isn't on my radar. Skyrim was outstanding value for me and I'd be happy to throw them some more money if I didn't have enough too much on my plate already.

So I don't get it general suggestion here from the watchers is to not support fully the company who brought us the game?

Can't get my head around some of the comments, I must say.

I think Bethesda puts out some very good games and I will continue to buy them in the future.

I have bought and played every single TES game, including their expansions and spinoffs (i.e. Battlespire & Redguard). And I've played all of them to completion - except Daggerfall.

While sci-fi based CRPGs aren't really my thing I have supported Bethesda by purchasing GOTY editions of Fallout and Fallout NV. I have also bought many of Bethesda's less known titles such as their Terminator series of games released in the early 90s.

But after over 20 years of purchasing Bethesda games, my view is that they can, and should, do a better job with polish. I have no expectation of 100% bug free release (30 years of computing has entirely and thoroughly squashed such naivete) but their blatent use of the 11/11/11 release date - because that date was 'super cool' and just in time for Christmas, just rubbed me the wrong way given the enormous quantity of bugs in the game and their underwhelming bug-fix lists with each of the patches released so far.

Fans of Bethesda defend them by saying, 'but Bethesda has coughed up more patches for Skyrim than any other TES game.' And it's true no question about it - they have put out 6 patches to-date. But that says more about their lack of support for past games than anything else - especially given that despite 6 patches, there are hundreds upon hundreds of bugs still. Not to mention that each patch has introduced (or in some cases, re-introduced) more bugs.

Personally, I experienced very few bugs up to the 100 hour mark of my first (and still on-going) playthrough. Right now I'm at the 150 hour mark and I have experienced far too many bugs. Of course, I have to concede that any single player game that keeps me playing this long has to have something going for it - and it does. I do have fun with Skyrim.

And this is coming from a Bethesda - how do the cool kids say it these days, 'fanboi.' But given all their market success - and not to rain on their parade or anything - it needs to be said (loudly and often): Bethesda, work on your polish - for God's sake it's been over 20 years, seriously - you need to work on THE POLISH. Before I end this paragraph, did I mention the polish?

So taking all that into consideration, I still will buy Bethesda games - particularly their TES games - because they are in fact fun and unique in the era of FPS and 'Action'-Everything. But I will be more tempered. I will buy their games when they are bundled and discounted. I won't be buying day 1 or the DLCs as they come out - I will only buy the bundles. That likely means waiting another year but so be it, I'm a patient gamer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom