Mass Effect 3 - Citadel Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Citadel, the last DLC for Mass Effect 3, has been received well and has the following reviews to show that:
Ars Technica
For players like me who are emotionally invested in the series, "Citadel" is excellent. It's like a gift from Bioware, a perfect bit of fanwankery made canonical. Whether or not it fits in with the larger tone of Mass Effect 3 is questionable, but it gives us all one last chance to see Shepard and his crew happy. This can sometimes be a bit too much, like eating your entire haul after trick-or-treating, but who doesn't want to overdose on candy every once in a while.
Hey U Guys Gaming
Weighing in at a touch under 4GB (it’s a huge download), the DLC comes in two parts. Just one quick thing before we jump into it…you can’t just dive into the DLC right from the start. You can only get into the new mission after the attack on the Citadel but BEFORE you take on the Cerberus base. You will find an email from Admiral Anderson in your personal messages and he pretty much orders you to take some well deserved shore leave while repairs are made to the Normandy.
Eurogamer, 9/10
It's been a bumpy 12 months since Mass Effect 3 was released. Those who disliked the game's three-flavour ending will probably find no solace in Citadel's three-choice party scenes, and it's a fair to assume that many will have moved on from the game in the intervening year. For those who've stuck by the series, however, and are willing to revisit it one final time, BioWare has excelled itself. The developer has clearly had a lot of fun creating a send-off to its characters that's worthy of the series' history and reminiscent of some of the saga's finest moments.
Destructoid 8/10
Once Citadel is pretty confident that you've bought into the flimsy pretense for a vacation, it smacks you in the face, in a grand, sophomoric "HAHA JUST KIDDING" prank. What follows isn't necessarily the best subplot in the series, but it's comes wrapped with a delightful spark - bringing back nearly every squad mate that's lived up to this point. There's no apparent purpose behind the grand reunion, other than bringing back a bunch of fan favorites for one final goodbye. One that feels even more gratuitous when you know how this tale ends.
ShackNews
More than anything, Citadel gave me more time with the characters I've grown to love and feel such a close connection to over the past three games and hundred-plus hours. Everyone comes out to play at some point. Having friends whose strengths and abilities I knew alongside me in battle was just as powerful here as any other part of the series, maybe even more so given how lackluster the last few add-on missions were. The party after the "mission" is over was a clever way to give me another chance to say goodbye to my friends. This is a going-away party on at least a few levels: this is the last I'll see of Shepard and company, and it's the last mission BioWare is releasing for Mass Effect 3.
Kotaku
There's plenty more: Every scene is stuffed with in-jokes and references, a bit in the Citadel archives allows you to relive various key moments in Mass Effect lore, and there's some great overheard enemy dialogue, if you take the time to listen. Some of the social sequences towards the end seem like they could play out dozens of different ways, given the fact that they involve each player's specific cast of surviving characters. I play as a female Commander Shepard, and the wonderful actor Jennifer Hale brought her A-game to Citadel. Shepard's last hurrah is a rangey, well-written part that's as surprising as it is warm and genuinely funny. Hale must have had a lot of fun bringing her character across the finish line.
More information.

Those payed-for-max-rating reviews may say whatever they want, but no boobs DLC?

1/10

I'll be giving it a go this easter, so I'll be able to put up some impressions in three weeks or so. Maybe a little more.

Bioware listens to their communauty. One grievance was that the player did not spend enough time with his/her former recruits.
From those reviews, Bioare delivers on target and with style.

I suppose by listening to their community they also made DA2 the way it's made.

Look, it's simply not our beloved Bioware any more. It's now EA written all over it. Frauds, cons and milking schemes. Junk packed into a shiny wrapping under aggressive marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.

I suppose by listening to their community they also made DA2 the way it's made.

Look, it's simply not our beloved Bioware any more. It's now EA written all over it. Frauds, cons and milking schemes. Junk packed into a shiny wrapping under aggressive marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.

BioWare do listed to his community, maybe you should go hand in there and see what the players are asking for...

Listens to their community. :roll:

I think on the whole they know what their community wants, but choose to ignore it, because "their" community is a niche, whereas they want to appeal to the wider "community".

However on this occasion (Citadel) I have to admit that it sounds exactly like what a large part of "their" community wanted - some quality chilling with their virtual buddies and e-waifus. If this had been in the original game, I think there would have been far less of an outcry.

It gets a bit goofy at times, but does what it promised to do, one last nostalgic adventure of Commander Sheppard side by side with his team - and some characters who aren't quite Sheppards crew members on the 3rd game, but were in the past. It get's goofy, but it also get's moody. The story is over the top (but on purpose, and it's not suposed to be taken seriously). The more nostalgic moments, on the other hand, are either funny (some jokes aimed at those who played through the trilogy) or melancholic. In the end this is, by far, my favourite Mass Effect 3 DLC. I wish the rest was as good as this.

BioWare do listed to his community, maybe you should go hand in there and see what the players are asking for…

Yes they do and there forums well I don't recommend them either. But all means go there to find what the fans really want I dare anyone.

People want *more* Commander Sheppard?! I couldn't drag myself to finish ME3 and the thought of playing 'nostalgic' DLC like this make me ill. The Universe may be interesting (less so with each new game) but Sheppard is a done deal - let him die for pete's sake instead of resurrecting him every month or two with some new 'DLC'.

Yes they do and there forums well I don't recommend them either. But all means go there to find what the fans really want I dare anyone.

I've been reading the Dragon Age 3 forum for the last few weeks and related tumblr.

Scary stuff, all of it.

I'm hoping this would be something to help me finish ME3. I played it about 30mins, got sick of it and never went back again. Yes I know what happens at the end and it will probably make me sick but maybe I will play it upto Citadel at least... how much is this DLC? Here's also hoping Origin won't piss me off even before I start playing ME3... I haven't updated that thing for ages.

I downloaded the whole game and citadel at PS3 last night. It's completely free for members of PS plus.

I played only the first game. Never finished it. Since the third is free i'll give it a try.

how much is this DLC? Here's also hoping Origin won't piss me off even before I start playing ME3… I haven't updated that thing for ages.

Not at home currently so can't check it to be sure. Origin malware is not installed on this PC and I am not going to put it here as I don't know what it really does while lurking from tray.

But when I get back home later today, I'll write down prices for every single ME DLC so you know how huge milking grew up inside EA. Hopefully there will be also a date of release of those DLC so you can see there are a few minutes long or items ones more expensive than complete games not that old for example DX:HR.

I don't feel like replaying ME3 just for this DLC. Can one play it with the save created after finishing ME3 very well?

Yes you can. You can't play the whole dlc at one time anyways. It unlocks as you play the game. If you load your last save you can play it all at one time.

Back
Top Bottom