Dark Souls II - Editorial @ Press2Reset

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Press2Reset has a new article for Dark Souls II that talks about some their problems with the game. So after reading the article do any of you agree with him?

Despite its glowing scores across the board, Sean Knight is taking aim at some issues he has with Dark Souls II

I’ve been playing quite a bit of Dark Souls II lately and, to be honest, I’m not too sure about the game. At times I enjoy it, and then there are other times when I find it annoying. There are just some things that I can’t get over; things that I have to point out that I would never include in a review.

For instance, the way the player character holds a shield. Seriously, did someone call the limphand brigade to design the shield’s grip? There are supposed to be two straps on the back of that shield so as to allow your entire forearm to support it. If you were to hold a shield the way they do in Dark Souls II, your wrist would quickly be broken while trying to block or deflect a blow. That, or you wouldn’t be able to hold it that way for more than 10 seconds.
More information.

I feel let down with the ease of the game. The thing that disappoints me most however is the lack of originality with the bosses. It feels like dejavu nearly every time I enter a fog gate. Albeit, an easier version.

I completely fail to see how this game is significantly easier than DS1... (Well maybe a bit)
Maybe people should try playing without a wiki/guide ? ;)

disappointed to hear people finding DS2 easier than the first, that was half the charm of the first game.

Anyone finding it too easy should join the covenant of the champions. :)
(that and fight some top tier PVPers ;) )

press2resetarticle said:
It really irked me that I needed to switch from using a longsword to a shortsword because I couldn’t do a thrusting attack with the longsword.

Are you kidding me?

I should not have to switch to another weapon because I can’t use the one I prefer to thrust at an enemy. A longsword can slash, it can strike, and it can even thrust (it also makes julienne fries).

In other words… I should be able to stick my enemies with the pointy end!

Try holding with two hands

press2resetarticle said:
And the Emerald Herald over in Majula? Why can’t she just stop talking so I can level up? I don’t know about you guys, but having to listen to her drone on for a bit until I can finally access the menu is very irritating.
Bearer seek seek lest
NyxVampira_sig said:
Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.
Is there really such a thing? You were born unable to speak and everything in your mind was learned from someone else! =)

I certainly haven't been finding it to be any easier than #1, although playing as a sorcerer this time could have something to do with that.

The article from RPS never says it's less difficult, in fact the reviewer made it clear that he died constantly. He just notes that there are some convenience features like auto travel which he feels take away from the flavor. Personally though I hated having to back track for long periods of time in DS1, and I never felt like I was in danger of getting lost, just bored.

Outside of combat I suppose it does feel like exploration is a little easier. There are still plenty of hidden things, but so far things that are vital to progression like bonfires or entrances to new areas seem less likely to be extremely well hidden. On the plus side this means I can actually play without the wiki open, and actually be surprised by the things I find, which I like.

Is the author making fun of the nitpicking directed at DS2? It really feels like everyone is just begging reasons to be disappointed with this. I've seen people complain about it and then admit playing for hundreds of hours. It's just one of those things....

As for the idea that this game is easier than the prior games, that's just insane. All of the games basically let you set your own difficulty, and this is no different. I've found some sections easier but some, like the Iron Keep, really really challenging. If you want more challenge, there are plenty of ways to get it. The fact is many of us are just prepared a little bit better, as we've played at least DS1.

The fact is many of us are just prepared a little bit better, as we've played at least DS1.

This is what I'm hoping the case is. A lot of ppl playing ds2 come off playing ds1 so they are kinda used to it but still expecting the same challenge as they got first time they played.

I think it is unrealistic for people to complain and ask DSII be to the same as DS 1, in terms of difficulty or otherwise.

If people like DS difficulty and other features then they can play DS 1, as it would be pointless for DSII to be exactly the same as DS 1.

I am glad that DS II is a different game, and that is what I paid for. I am yet to play it as I ordered the hard copy and it is only released tomorrow here in the UK.

Its really more of a side step rather than a step down in difficulty. Its just that some things are a bit clearer this time around but those would already be dead obvious for the #1 veteran and any small bit of accessibility is really geared towards the new-comer. If anything it required even the very familiar with #1 to readjust to the flow of combat that is geared more towards speed and groups of enemies than #1.

Besides, the "extreme difficulty" of #1 is a myth perpetuated by the faux hardcore crowd and people spending more time yapping rather than playing and finishing the game ;)
It just required patience and observation, same as #2 really…

Anyone finding it too easy should join the covenant of the champions. :)

Good suggestion. They should do this first thing they reach Majula ;)
Other than that other ways to make things more HC:

Play offline or at least without coop help (I understand invasion only becomes a thing after NG+ ?)

Use the often posted sweetFX profile and keep brightness to a minimum so torch use is mandatory for large parts of the game (ALthough that makes the game more fun rather than all that more difficult).

@SirJames Did you manage to make the inspector tweaks work in the end? How does sweetFX + HBAO look? (I actually decided to disable sgssaa completley as it was blurring some surfaces despite my efforts)

I've found some sections easier but some, like the Iron Keep, really really challenging.
Find the vases full of water and roll into them to wet yourself and get LOADS of fire resist. That + flash sweat will let you get the chests out on the fire
JonNik said:
@SirJames Did you manage to make the inspector tweaks work in the end? How does sweetFX + HBAO look? (I actually decided to disable sgssaa completley as it was blurring some surfaces despite my efforts)
No, I gave up on it after you said the nvidia profile was the issue as this profile was created by nvidia inspector! then I started wondering if it was valve anti cheat stopping it and thought I'd not worry. It looks good enough. I wanted the HBAO+ but sweetFX just looks like my game with brightness turned down. I mean, it said "it lowers ambient light levels while making light sources more prominent, but that's pretty much what lowering the general brightness and raising contrast does anyway! It's not really changing the lighting system - just how you see it. :)

Thanks for the help anyway, though!

edit: Also, even with normal graphics I burn through torches enough already. Places like Shrine of Amana or the Gutter or Undead Crypts and before I know it 50 mins of torch turns into 5mins remaining and time to attune Cast Light again.

I didn't see difficulty mentioned in the article but I think 2 is easier than 1 but still plenty hard enough. It can actually be made pretty easy by farming out the areas. I spent about 20 hours and used 2 third party programs to get M&k comfortable for me, since then I started a new character and 4 hours in at level 27 I haven't died yet or equipped any armor other than a shield. I haven't fought any bosses yet either though I'm farming out the areas then I'll tackle the bosse unless I happen across them through a fog gate. I've been lucky enough so far though but I'm running out of gates that I think they are behind. I'm sure many will say this isn't the way to play it but I'm enjoying it so I don't care.

Also with the gothic 3 type stun lock if you get the first hit on a regular mob guy you can just slash till he's dead 95% of the time. For me that's the biggest difference. In ds1 they'd block you or interrupt your hits, you couldn't just hack n slash like you can now.

I agree with the article it's tedious extra steps to warp to one lady to level up and have to skip all her dialogue over and over then warp back. I can't see any reason for this.

I'm surprised he didn't mention hit detection, I've been hit several times when the weapon clearly misses me, or the constant mobs, it seems every battle is several melee guys with sometimes an archer or bomb thrower mixed in.

How about the undead laying all over just go up hit them 3 times and it's like free souls. I've also ran in to several guys that won't attack until I'm right up to them.

The biggest offense to me and probably only me is they nerfed my bandit knife.:mad::lol:

On top of that I'm sad that they got rid of the world design of DS1, which I thought was brilliant the way the world fit together. Also not finding the same atmosphere or exploration but that might be due to playing the first game and now being familiar with the setting.

Overall compare to ds1 it's lacking but it's still heads and shoulder of most other ARPG's.

I wanted the HBAO+ but sweetFX just looks like my game with brightness turned down. I mean, it said "it lowers ambient light levels while making light sources more prominent, but that's pretty much what lowering the general brightness and raising contrast does anyway! It's not really changing the lighting system - just how you see it. :)

Well of course but its more than that and it turns down the light to levels not attainable by the ingame settings and also applies some post processing effects. Its a really significant difference for me and torches are necessary for a lot of the game, not a couple of areas… but anyways :)

Its criminal that From removed that aspect of the game. Its obvious that it was actually designed practically around it and they put a lot of effort in balancing the brazier/sconce placements etc. No wonder people are saying the exploring and combat is easier now…

Re: the control panel settings, I just tested by adding a profile (that disabled the inspector settings) and removing it. I thought you had created it before running inspector for the first time. Still worth a try imo (plus it darkens the game even more)

On top of that I'm sad that they got rid of the world design of DS1, which I thought was brilliant the way the world fit together. Also not finding the same atmosphere or exploration but that might be due to playing the first game and now being familiar with the setting.

Overall compare to ds1 it's lacking but it's still heads and shoulder of most other ARPG's.

Yeah, more or less my take, again though this is a pretty open game, so you can take an easy path if you follow a dotted line (or you are lucky ;) ) or a difficult path by just selecting different areas. Pretty much as in #1

Lost bastile the Grave and the gutter and all the path up to Freja without going to Heide's tower ot Huntsman's copse. I remembered to come back and check there only when Rat authority checked my progress a bit :D Well ok looking at the number of effigies accumulating unused in my inventory maybe it gets a bit easy for the veteran after you get going a bit :)

Ugh. If you think it's too easy, go do a naked run with a dagger and stop complaining. I love the game and detest the dick-measuring that goes with the series.

accessibility took away from its beauty. ALthough now it can be finished by everybody.. nobody will experience DS1 greatness.

Go jump in a lake.

DS1 was harder. Agreed. But not being a l33t gamerz420, I wasn't that great at it, and eventually got bored. Got to Anor Londo, and I had enough. I suspect I'm not the only one.

I'm just beginning the game, but my main complain is that there is too much sun in DS2 to be praised. Atmosphere is not as good as in DS1 ( at the beginning at least ).
And voices does not give neither 'despair' feeling, nor renonciation feeling, that were fantastic in the first one.
That aside, DS2 is still a great game.

DS1 was harder. Agreed. But not being a l33t gamerz420, I wasn't that great at it, and eventually got bored. Got to Anor Londo, and I had enough. I suspect I'm not the only one.

I didnt even get to that )

but I can still say the claustrophobic design of DS1, without the traveling between bonfires was more than enough to make me adore it. who cares if I never finish it )

Back
Top Bottom