Fallout 3 - Desslock and NMA

Dhruin

SasqWatch
An interesting feature at NMA where they approached PC Gamer's Desslock - respected RPG columnist and a fan of both Fallout and Oblivion - to comment on their preview of Fallout 3 (link) that received criticism in some quarters (if not the article, then at least the way they obtained it):
NMA preview: labeled anything from innovative to the worst idea of all time, I don't really see either one as being very valid. "Unoriginal" is the name I'd use. If I had to describe V.A.T.S. at gun point, I'd call it a system of RT combat with limited pausing through fatigue (Action Points) and super-attacks (aimed shot), which to most people will sound pretty much like what BioWare started doing in the mid-90s with the Infinity Engine

Desslock: I don't agree with the preceding paragraph. The last sentence is just wrong - BioWare only produced two Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and the related expansions), and the first game in that series didn't come out until the late 1990s (so your dating is wrong, a minor detail, but you guys are obviously pay great attention to detail, so I thought I'd flag it).

More importantly, the reference makes no sense to me - neither Baldur's Gate game had action points or "super-attacks". The system is clearly closer to the "aimed shot" mechanic of the Fallout games - you use perception, get targeting information, and inflict damage based upon targeted shots and your weapon skills -- there's nothing like that in the Baldur's Gate games, and the only thing Fallout 3's combat has in common with the Baldur's Gate games is that it occurs in real-time, and is pausable.

Finally, as you know, I have concerns about the combat as well, and look forward to learning more about it and seeing it in action. But it's clearly unfair and misleading to call it unoriginal, when there's actually never been a similar system utilized by an RPG. It culls aspects of features from other games, but the combat system certainly seems unique. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll like it or that it'll satisfy Fallout veterans, but it's certainly an original, hybrid combat system.
More information.

I liked it simply because Desslock is (was?) a lawyer and he will not lose a rhetoric duel.

I think this article was particularly valuable because it shows two sides of the argument in one debate. Too often gaming journalists fail to apply the simple journalistic standard that you're supposed to be impartial yourself and then let two side of the coin debate. Of course, we're a critics industry so we have to be partial ourselves, but does that mean we can't invite someone to show the other side of the debate to our own readers?

We can do with a good shake up and someone questioning our assumptions. Forums are fine for that, but it's also good practice to let someone do it publicly too. Especially on a hot button like Fallout 3.

And Desslock is still a lawyer as far as I know, Reyla. He's good people despite that, tho'.

Some interesting points, nothing new really

I thought the article was better than your standard Fallout 3 fare at the moment but didn't really bring much new to the conversation around the game. It's true you've got two sides of the coin. But the article is still mostly about Desslock critisicing the NMA preview and so the points discussed are pretty much the ones in the preview. When the discussion went beyond the preview that's when it was most interesting. What I found most interesting was the introduction before the actual article when it talked about how Desslock likes both Oblivion and Fallout 1 and 2. That would make for it's own article really. How putting oblivion and fallout in the same pen might actually produce something worthwhile. If there is an article of that kind could someone point me at it please. If not go ahead and write one.

Last edited:
Perhaps NMA can get another guest writer to rebut Desslock's comments on their comments on the game, you know, just until they come up with something new to say about Fallout 3...

Perhaps NMA can get another guest writer to rebut Desslock's comments on their comments on the game, you know, just until they come up with something new to say about Fallout 3...

Hey, it's not our fault there's no actual new info.

Frith, this place is snider than a snippet.

Good work. :)
It's always good to have someone keep you on your toes, when critiquing and it shows your position is inheritantly stronger than bethesda's, since you are willing to enter debate and take criticism. :)

What I found most interesting was the introduction before the actual article when it talked about how Desslock likes both Oblivion and Fallout 1 and 2. That would make for it's own article really. How putting oblivion and fallout in the same pen might actually produce something worthwhile. If there is an article of that kind could someone point me at it please. If not go ahead and write one.

I've actually been thinking of using that topic for an upcoming column.

Back
Top Bottom