Baldur's Gate EE - Barred from Sale, BG II: EE Delayed

Seems like the devs actually might have made some decent money on this project and somebody has decided to go fishing for some of their $$$.

This is the first thing I thought of. Most likely scenario. Other party involved didn't care until they saw some dollar figures, and THEN they cared!

Wow, it is possible to earn MONEY on an old IP... well WOW this comes as a big suprise... we better sue those guys earning money on our IP.

Are we going to use it to earn money ourselves?... well it is such a old IP surely there are not a lot of fans and we'll not earn any money from that...

I find it coincidental that the day this happened, Good Old Games had a mass package sale on BG1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2 and the D&D games. I have a feeling the new owners of the IP are trying to shop around the game themselves.

God I hate this legalese bullcrap. What makes it worse is that I am very aware that my hate of it changes abosolutely nothing. Grrr. :shakefist:

Exactly ... really ticks me off, tired of the constant D&D license BS - it messed with NWN Premium Mods, the NWN2 adventure packs, and on and on ...

This is the first thing I thought of. Most likely scenario. Other party involved didn't care until they saw some dollar figures, and THEN they cared!

Not sure if serious. That's pretty much what Beamdog did. Gog shows you can make mooney selling old games, so they suddenly want to re-port a perfectly playable and/or modded to modern standards game for a quick buck.

Atari (at least Atari's logo is there) I think it is still sells BG here in Germany in a package ( an "Anthology"):
http://www.amazon.de/NAMCO-BANDAI-P...&qid=1371734917&sr=8-2&keywords=baldur's+gate
Note the publisher there : Namco Bandai.

Another "Anthology" is being sold by Koch Media here : http://www.amazon.de/Dungeons-Drago...&qid=1371734917&sr=8-1&keywords=baldur's+gate

I suspect that these two might have had a word with them - simply because the BG EE can be sold & bought [/i] anywhere[/i].

So, I suspect that it rather has something to do with specific country rights ?

This is why i don't want to buy a game with beamdog drm; if they do start selling it again I hope they will make it available via some other site (steam? gog? desura?); i know there is a steam version but they claim it was not their doing and it sounded liek they don't intend to keep the patches on steam flowing as quickly as their own.
-
With regards to legal issue - hopefully something will leak and the speculation will stop.

On a seemingly unrelated note, being a mildly paranoid person I am, I'll download the BG remake for NWN2 right now.
I sense that the "complex legal issues" could escalate to other BG/D&D remakes or fan-projects.

There is supposed to be a remake in the works of BG2 using the DA:O engine, but it's been a while since I've heard anything new. The fact that the NWN2 remake took six years to finish with a team of essentially two people might be a factor. :)

I assume that Namco Bandai might have "taken over" from there on. However.

I assume that Namco Bandai might have "taken over" from there on. However.

Hasbro letting their #1 competitor publish something they own.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Back
Top Bottom