Anyone use Straighttalk as their cell plan?

Drithius

Magic & Loss
Been seriously considering jumping on the bandwagon and finally getting a smartphone. Those contract plans are stupidly expensive though… does anyone have experience with Straighttalk? $45 for unlimited data&phone on a GSM phone seems like a great deal; 'I'm mostly concerned over the coverage and the lack of 4GLTE support.

This is in the U.S.

I use T-Mobiles $30 prepayment plan. Same thing as Straighttalk. Your phone works the exact same on it, its using the same network as the expensive post payment plans. I have zero regrets in using it. Just make sure your phone supports HSPA+ and you will be fine for speeds. Also T-Mobile does not have as extensive a network as Verizon and others so make sure your in a good area for it. But your going month to month so even if your not it wont be the end of the world.

I buy my refills here.
http://www.callingmart.com/

Heres a good thread on the $30 plan. Its the better choice if you don't talk much and just text and use the internet.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

I use a GSM Galaxy Nexus for my phone. The Nexus 4 is coming out shortly for just $350 or pick up a GSM Galaxy Nexus on Craigslist.

I even ported my old normal plans number to Google Voice when I switched so I still have it for misc stuff.

I have a straightalk Nokia E5. The data connection is slow. It's listed as a t-mobile provider and out here data isn't that fast unless you pay for Verizon. However I talk for hours on it and my calls never get dropped. Some ST phones do run off of Verizon's network now but I can't comment on those except I'm betting they have capped data connections.

Straight Talk is a T-Mobile company. It may roam on Verizons network but it uses T-Mobiles, Also only AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM compatible so you will only get fast HSPA+ speeds on them. All other networks will be 3G if you are on a GSM phone.

If I went with Straighttalk, it would definitely be with an AT&T SIM card. T-mobile can sometime be faster but the coverage is far spottier.

Toff, I also looked at that $30 prepaid plan but the 100 minute talk time seems really low - especially given how all time is rounded up.

Yup, the minutes are indeed low. I can use the plan as all me and my friends do is text. The $45 one is a great deal also.

I use T-mobile, and I generally have great coverage. I have a contract plan though, and I don't get charged for using another network if I'm in an area where I can't get T-mobile.

$30 for 100 minutes doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. I'm currently paying around $97 per month after taxes for unlimited talk, messaging, and internet. That also includes full-coverage insurance on the phone and no roaming charges anywhere in the US.

It does only have 100 mins but it also has unlimited text and 5 GB Internet. So it all depends on how much you actually talk on your phone. I just got tired of paying for voice minutes I never used.

Bah, it looks like TMobile is getting rid of my beloved $30 plan. I may be moving to the $45 Straight Talk plan also. I wouldn't mind so much but I have $70 in my TMobile Account. Somehow I bet they won't mail me a check.

Back
Top Bottom