Spellbound Entertainment - Files for Insolvency

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Another one bites the dust ... as the whole German internet reports, ArcaniA developer Spellbound had to file for insolvency after a failed investment round. It's quite surprising news because Spellbound was expanding into mobile and online games.
Everyday business continues without changes. Due to the insolvency the wages for the 65 employees are guaranteed by law, at least for a certain time.
The insolvency administrator is optimistic Spellbound can be saved. They have a couple of projects relatively close to release and investors are interested. Search for investors has started immediately.

German insolvency law is strict. If certain requirements are met or certain obligations can no longer be fulfilled, a company must file for bankruptcy. Failing to do so would get the managing director into serious legal trouble. Companies with substance generally have realistic chances to recover.
Spellbound is currently working on the action-RPG Ravensdale.
More information.

Think not of ArcaniA and frolic with joy, but remember Desperados and weep.

It's never good news to hear a developer going down, ArcaniA wasn't that bad to be honest. I hope they find investors and that these 65 people can keep their jobs.

While ArcaniA wasn't that bad of a game as people make it out to be I was interested in Ravensdale. Hopefully they find an investor.

ArcaniA was ok, my main complaint was that it wasn't a real Gothic IV. It wasn't anything special, just an average action RPG. I didn't care for Fall of Setarriff much at all though.

I hope they can get back on their feet and don't have to go into bankruptcy.

Arcania was just contract work. JoWooD wanted it so streamlined and Spellbound delivered that. No reason to read too much into it.
PB declared the Gothic projects since G3:FG "non canonical".

Spellbound created a competent game engine that was underutilized. Arcania wasn't horrible, but it was very forgettable.

I hope they recover. I liked Arcania and (debate about Gothic-ness aside) I thought it was a good game.

I was really looking forward to what they would come up with with Ravensdale, so it'd be a shame if that went to waste.

-Sergorn

Sad news, but hopefully they pull themselves through this mess. Arcania was a horrible game and an awfull sequel, but the blame belongs to Jowood for not understanding what gothic games were about.

Back
Top Bottom