Developer harassment

Nah I'll remain neutral rather than spout insane theories of government control.

I do have to ask what does forced labor camps, and citizen repression have to do with gaming, and the media? Sounds a little crazy if you ask me. Do you need a shrink.:)

Wow, what an insulting, stupid post.

Sounds like you might honestly need a shrink, dude. And a sense of humor, as well.

Wow, what an insulting, stupid post.

Sounds like you might honestly need a shrink, dude. And a sense of humor, as well.
It nice you think I'm serious also. You must not of been on these boards to long.:biggrin:

Ah, sorry. :oops:

There's too many people who actually say and mean stuff like that.

There's too many people who actually say and mean stuff like that.

No harm done.;) That's why I stay out of political topics. I have seen a few boards over the years shutdown the political sections because of the craziness, and fighting.

Related (imho good article) : http://www.tentonhammer.com/the-delusions-of-player-communication-requests

Let’s say a developer made the following statement in a forum post - “The team is working on this awesome new feature called Bazoola Woogle Hunting. The design discussions are going great so far, but it’s still on the drawing board. I can’t promise anything will come of it, but hopefully we’ll be able to show the community more about it soon.” There are so many reasons the community team on hand would cringe at this that they’re hard to process, but let me point out a few.

Rule number one – I know “soon” to the player base means a couple weeks, but in development speak, that can easily be six months or more. Remember, these people may have been working on this project for years. To them, six months is nothing.

Rule number two – “I can’t promise anything” gets translated to “I promise it will be in the game soon” within a matter of minutes on various boards the statement gets forwarded to.

Rule number three – Rules one and two are the creators of “The Company Lied To Us!" syndrome.

I think one key aspect of this kind of communication is the understanding of human psychology.

Once you realise that human beings bitching when in an anonymous position almost never means much at all - you can stop taking it to heart.

Is this for real? She doesn't respond directly to the sexual "hints" - you could remove all of them from the "exchange" and her answers would still make sense. Makes me suspect it's edited.

pibbur who isn't sure what to think and therefore doesn't know what he's thinking

Or the "journalist" was drunk. Maybe. Or he just overestimated his abilities. Or both.

Quoting from the SWTOR forum, "developer tracker" :

Yesterday , 08:07 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next

Hey folks,

I feel the need to make this post after some things happened yesterday. Yesterday, John made some posts communicating our views, and looking for feedback, around the state of Sentinels and Marauders. We knew going in that some of what we were going to say might not be what players wanted to hear, but the Combat team felt it was very important that you understood how we view things from our side. We may disagree on some things, but if all opinions are on the table we can have a better and more informed dialog about it.

However, following the posts John made yesterday, a few players formed a witch-hunt against John. These players tracked him down on some of his personal accounts and in some extreme cases, even those of his family members with the sole purpose of harassing, insulting, and threatening him based on those forum posts. The purpose of our forums, of our subreddit, and other official channels is to have a dialog. We know that sometimes we may disagree, and that’s ok. We want to have those hard conversations, we want to talk about what we can do to improve, and to pass on our thoughts on how we see things from the Development side. But taking that conversation off of official channels to make personal attacks against Developers is completely unacceptable.

Please understand John didn’t need to communicate his perspective about the class. John and the Combat team knew giving their views on Sentinels and Marauders, in some cases, would not be received well, but he did it anyway. The alternative, is that we stay silent. If the reaction of this community is to go out of your way to personally harass someone we will stop having a dialog. How can we, as a Community team, ask the Combat team to put their opinions out here if some of you are going to react this way?

We know there is unhappiness in the Sent/Mara community and we genuinely want to continue having an open discussion with all of you. But, it’ll require regular dialog, respecting each other’s opinions, and very importantly, not harassing anyone who is participating in the conversation. That means, we all need to hold ourselves to a higher standard and be accountable for our actions.

Thank you.

-eric

The full discussion of this behaviour can be viewed here : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=811195

To me that sort of thing isn't about sexism, racism, or anything else other than the incredible punishing power of social media to destroy people's lives. Please don't try to ascribe it to 'SJW' or whatever exclusively - because there are examples on ALL sides ... and it is DISGUSTING.

While I believe in 'freedom of speech' ... I also realize that it doesn't equal 'freedom from consequences from that speech' ... but what we've seen in the last 5-10 years in terms of a global sh!tstorm that gets people fired for the smallest perceived infraction is just bizarre.

To me that sort of thing isn't about sexism, racism, or anything else other.

Yes I agree. Its about some people being dickheads. However if John happened to be Jenny, the first thing people will say is that its about sexism :)

I remain amazed that people have the time and energy for this sort of stupidity. What do people really hope to gain by chasing some guy via his personal life? That's a good bit of effort for no return. I get the whole nerdrage thing (OK, I don't get it, but I'll give them a benefit of the doubt for purposes of this thought) but you've got a perfectly good forum to spew on if that's what's going to make you happy. Why invest time and effort to escalate from there?

Completely ignoring the whole morality side of the argument (which certainly has merit, but easily gets shunted aside in today's relativist culture), it boils down to a shitty return on investment. Don't get it.

To me that sort of thing isn't about sexism, racism, or anything else other than the incredible punishing power of social media to destroy people's lives. Please don't try to ascribe it to 'SJW' or whatever exclusively - because there are examples on ALL sides … and it is DISGUSTING.

While I believe in 'freedom of speech' … I also realize that it doesn't equal 'freedom from consequences from that speech' … but what we've seen in the last 5-10 years in terms of a global sh!tstorm that gets people fired for the smallest perceived infraction is just bizarre.

The difference is that many forms of bullying done for the sake of political correctness are seen as socially acceptable. Many people join these sorts of "progressive" movements as an excuse to be a thug and a jerk without any repercussions.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Its about some people being dickheads. However if John happened to be Jenny, the first thing people will say is that its about sexism :)

Only if Jenny was going to talk about misogyny, then was told she'd be blown up with a bomb - along with five hundred audience members - simply for being there.

Then it would be about sexism, yes.

But when it's about game stats, it's about game stats, and whether it's John or Jenny, it's wrong. And people need to deal with their complaints in a far more constructive way. Hacking into family members' stuff is effed up.

Only if Jenny was going to talk about misogyny, then was told she'd be blown up with a bomb - along with five hundred audience members - simply for being there.

Then it would be about sexism, yes.

This is indeed sexism.

But when it's about game stats, it's about game stats, and whether it's John or Jenny, it's wrong. And people need to deal with their complaints in a far more constructive way. Hacking into family members' stuff is effed up.
If Jenny was talking about game stats and she got abused people will claim its sexism even though its people being well fu*kwits in the same way they are acting towards John.

If Jenny was talking about game stats and she got abused people will claim its sexism even though its people being well fu*kwits in the same way they are acting towards John.

I think it all depends on what's being said. I'm sure there's been lots of cases where developers - female as well as male - have been harassed without claims of sexism. It's also true that these d*bags are using the same tactics against the SWTOR devs as they do against outspoken feminists, and they still think it's cute. DDOS attacks, hacking, harassment, doxxing, death threats. And I'm sure that some of the family members/devs being harassed are women. But like you said…it isn't about sexism. This is entitlement and crybaby behavior, and it's equally deplorable here. People's lives are being affected.

Back
Top Bottom