BioWare - New Game Image

I was such a big fan of Autoduel, I might have to break by boycott of BioWaste, if that were to happen. As long as it's an open-type world, and they don't force me to sit through a story on rails, helplessly trapped in front of endless cutscenes. :p

I'm thinking GTA: San Andreas-like Autoduel. I love SA partly because of the cars and the fact they had a million and one things to do in this huge world.

It took me forever to unlock the whole map because I would always get sidetracked by just goofing off in the world or some other little sidemission/challenge/races/goofing off by picking people up in a taxi. Slap some automobile combat on that sucker, a few more rpg-lite skills, maybe some C&C (not a must, but wouldn't hurt), tournaments of death, some transport missions, upgradable cars that don't fracken disappear when you do a mission and I'm in high heaven.

Well if Mike Laidlaw is doing the design, it will be Rage without the RPG elements.
:)

Personally, I rather believe it could be a Fallout-like game.
Besides, in the screenshot/graphik, are these the person's shoes or feet ?

If it didn't have some sort of RPG element in it, EA wouldn't release it under the Bioware label. That's the whole point of putting everything remotely RPG-ish under the Bioware name.

That being said, we really can't tell anything from a single screen.

-Sergorn

Because it creates a buzz - like this thread?

Unfortunately once we have the big reveal everyone will just go...meh.

I have to agree an autoduel/car wars rpg would be nice.

I still have all my old autoduel quarterly magazines in a box somewhere...I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

If it didn't have some sort of RPG element in it, EA wouldn't release it under the Bioware label. That's the whole point of putting everything remotely RPG-ish under the Bioware name.
-Sergorn

I think you may have struck on the new definition of Bioware: "A division of EA which produces remotely RPG-ish games."

Pretty sure this isn't the second coming of Autoduel, but that certainly has potential as a franchise. I wonder who (if anyone) has the rights to produce electronic games in the Car Wars universe. Would love to see an RPG with stat-driven car combat type of game. Sunday Drivers anyone?

Honestly - and I'm not trying to be an anti-BioWare troll - would you actually want a cars wars from from BioWare? I just can't see it fitting in with their strengths of "cinematic" gameplay.

A fair point. When I think autoduel I don't exactly think about going around with a group of 10 NPC, each of whom has a story that slowly gets revealed through long in depth personal discussions.

This is where I point this is a game supposedly made by a new Bioware studio, and not by Bioware Edmonton, so who knows what they are capable of. In other words we probably can't make assumption of what kind of game it could be based on Bioware Edmonton's outputs - good or bad.

The thing is, Bioware is no longer synonymous with the Edmonton Studio - it's basically become the RPG Label of all thins EA (run by Muzyka and Zeschuk though), hence EA2D becoming Bioware San Fancisco, and Mythic Entertainment becoming Bioware Mythic.

-Sergorn

Honestly - and I'm not trying to be an anti-BioWare troll - would you actually want a cars wars from from BioWare? I just can't see it fitting in with their strengths of "cinematic" gameplay.

No one makes them. I'll take a Car Wars RPG from ANYONE who is willing to make one.

Almost a year ago I asked everyone here if there were any Autoduel-like games and the best we came up with was Hard Truck Apocolypse, Darkwind, Interstate 76, Mexican Motor Mafia and Auto Assault which is gone now.

So since Autoduel and Roadwar 2000 devs have hardly ever returned to this style of game. Mostly the games they make are just racing car games set in the future or pure action like in Zombie Driver.

@Capt. Huggy Ignore Thaurin. He's just grumpy you have a Magicky Utok ;)

Last edited:
The thing is, Bioware is no longer synonymous with the Edmonton Studio - it's basically become the RPG Label of all thins EA (run by Muzyka and Zeschuk though), hence EA2D becoming Bioware San Fancisco, and Mythic Entertainment becoming Bioware Mythic.

-Sergorn

Yes, sure. Still…does it seem likely EA would publish a "true" Car Wars game through their BioWare label? I could be wrong, of course, but I would expect an action game with a strong narrative and some light RPG elements. That isn't an inherently bad thing but...

No I don't see this as being done through Bioware, or any EA division. I'd sure like to see (and play) something like it though.

A somewhat faithful adaptation of the well developed Car Wars ruleset, perhaps adding 'module' style RPG elements.I can imagine using something like the Neverwinter engine if taken 3D, where you would have something like a pause and play, fully rotatable camera, etc.

Although I'd be happy to see something more along the lines of XCOM, with turn based play, 2D or 2.5D (as XCOM:A), destructible environments, etc. Sadly I think the market would be small so the time for the game I have in mind is probably long gone. Fun to think about the possibilities though.

Guess I'll have to wait for the 2D Microsoft Surface tabletop version of the original game. :D

Try out Darkwind: War on Wheels. It has a rather unique turnbased system. It's fun once you get used to it. The only downside is that it's online. If this was a single-player game I'd be in hog heaven for a very very long time.

Back
Top Bottom