Deus Ex: Human Revolution - How It Feels On The PC

Saw a presentation/play by a developer (who came directly from Montreal, they said) at the RPC.

They changed their presentation now.

At the games Com, everything was directed at Action.

Now, everything is directed at sneaking.

The *whole* presentation/play the visitors saw was *nothing but* sneaking.
Only in the very last secods of the mission ("level three") - which consisted in invading a builing captured by "terrorists"; by the way - consisted of an action approach.

The presenter said several things to that :

- Sneaking is much better that the action approach
- with the action approack rinnung into the building with full guns) "you're gonne live only a few seconds"
- the evidence shown during the play : the AI is better, the ammonition is smaller, one is very vulnverable …
- there are lots of ways possible : throwing away big boxes to see alternative ways (and items !) hidden by them …
- hopping on boxes is possible
- placing of boxes to "form" different ways is possible
- hacking can take over stationary guns, if possible (in this mision there was exactly 1 I saw)
- hostages can be saved as well (this was a secondary mission goal !) - but these secondary mission goals seem to have no impact on the main story at all …
- talking is important !!! (the presenter said this lots of times !)
- sneaking is important !!! (dito)
- plundering and taking equipment that lies around etc. is important !!!
- did I already say sneaking is important ?

Afterwards I talked to the presenter (in German language, I was glad about that.
Of course he defended "his product" against criticism from my side, so or example that the game is mainly meant to be "for entertainment". Or that many developers think that "blood/gore = mature" (he indeed said that the cutscenes were there "to evoke emotions" and that they are "more bloddy" that usual cutscenes, "[because] this is a mature game." - So have it in my memory.

One point I liked quite a lot was the underlying questions, whether these "augmentations" are good or not - and what implications this has on humanity.

Where is the point where someone is "human" ?
Where is the point where "humanity" ends ?

"Human revolution ?"
"Revolution of humanity ?"
"Re-Evolution ?"
"Humanity ?"

(This question was already asked by StarSiege, if I remember correctly - but that game is now largely forgotten).

What the game didn't "comment on" at all was a single line of the common trailer :

"The body might be healed, but the spirit …"

What happens when a heavily augmented person becomes insane, suddenly ?
(And of course this question only came into my head long after the presentation and the talk were over !)

One point that heavily disturbed my sounded o me like kind of a slip : That the outcome "might be … 'different' … than one would expect" … Or so I have it stored in my memory.

That reminds me of the fact that depending on how you chose whom you help in the dwarven town within DA1, the outcome for the *society* is different : Helping the "good guy" results in a negative response/outcome for the dwarven society and vice versa … I fear that Deus Ex 3 might be similar, after litening to that "slip" …

Anyway, the game remains to be interesting …

Interesting that no-one wants to comment on my report - but rather on the ability to save the game.

Well, I liked your report Alrik! It is good to hear that they think that sneaky and talky paths as important (or more) than the actiony paths.

Cheers!

I am feeling better about this game again. Maybe my positive prediction from months ago will be right?

Interesting that no-one wants to comment on my report - but rather on the ability to save the game.

Ok for your please I'll sacrifice myself. :)

What to say? First Deus Ex was great in infiltration and sneaking, poor for shooter. Also sniping was perhaps a bit too easy in too many cases and alas too tempting.

For the blood, gore and cutscene, well I'm a boy so red, violence and images and not too much texts is in my nature. So fine. Perhaps that's not old school, or mid old school, I don't care in fact but the point is, perhaps I don't remember well, but for me Deus Ex had all of that already.

It's not at all a game I was waiting for, and since some time I'm much more curious about it, much more than Duke Nuken for example.

Thanks foor your sacrifice. ;)

By the way, this yellow highlighting thing was on all of the time - during the presentation-play.

No, I just wasn't around yesterday to respond. I greatly appreciated it, Alrik! That was some good new info.

(For the record, I was originally trying not to get into a whole thing about the save system, if anyone checks out my first two posts on the subject, as I know such things tend to, err, escalate. :) I was just hoping someone knew the answer to my question as my concern was significant. But I guess my vague responses to Desale piqued his curiosity, so he asked me to explain myself, which was fair.)

And a big thanks to DR490N for being the bearer of great news.

@ChienAboyeur: Again, I disagree with nothing you've said, and you make your points very well. And, it still boils down to pleasing different kinds of gamers. Obviously, it's easy for me to scoff at people with no self-control and say "if you ruined your own game, it's your own fault". But that doesn't help metacritic scores. So I do understand the dilemma the game designers face. At the same time, I know what I want and I'm compelled by that want to defend it - so I do so. I'm trying to change gamers minds as much as designers. Yeah, I know, good luck with that. :)

The latest previews sounds really promising

RPS: "Be more excited about it than you’ve been for any other game ever made"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/11/ten-things-you’ll-think-playing-deus-ex-3/

PC gamer: "I’ve played Deus Ex: Human Revolution for about 40 hours now, so I don’t think it’s too soon to say this: it’s incredible"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-hands-on-the-first-ten-hours/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-diary-the-psychopath/

Too good to be true? ;)

The first PCGamer hype seems like unpolished impressions, and therefore more real. We'll see…

I dont believe any review or previews from PCGamer anymore and especially after that glowing DA2 review that didn't point out any of its shortcomings.

And Alrik thanks for report but I aim to play a bad-ass who shots first then ask questions not sneak around and play diplomat.

Back
Top Bottom