Kickstarter - Thorvalla Waiting for your Pledge

A Matt Chat about Thorvalla seems to be in the pipeline.

Yes actually my board game publisher who has about 60 game campaigns run and published with Kickstarter has done detailed statistics and analysis of Kickstarter campaigns and project windows. They have determined that the worst time to run any kind of project on Kickstarter is January through March just after the Holiday spending sprees. They highly recommend waiting until the beginning of April to start a Kickstarter campaign if one cannot be started in November.
Of course that was for board games and not PC games. However they have analyzed data corresponding to all Kickstarter campaigns and find that the January-March timeframe is the worst on all fronts.
Starting now might not appear to be a perfect launch timeframe, but their only option would be to wait another four months. From my chats with Sword and Circuitry Studios, Neal Halford's studio, they appeared to be really excited about working on the project full on. Neal has several endeavors he works on with Swords and Circuitry Studios, much of it for filming and editting as one of his jobs, I think he needs this project where he could commit most of his time as this is exactly his gift, his passion and talent :)

What he refers to is that reportedly research showed that Kickstarters in certain months are less successful than in others. April would have been the next "good" window.
Maybe somebody else will post the details.

This is the only game I'd give my money to, personally. (Apart from Broken Sword.)

But I still believe that he made a *huge* mistake : By using Kickstarter only.

Because everyone knows how much uncommon credit cards are in Germany. If he had used something that is far more common in Germany than Paypal & Credit Cards, then he would have got much, much, much more money, because everybody in the German TDE scene knows him. They all were very excited upon hearing these news. And I bet some might be disappointed by now that they can't give him money, because they don't use neither Paypal nor Credit Cards.
I didn't see many credit cards on the RPC. ;)

This has nothing to do with the fact they are german right?

New update should be posted soon. Should have the overview of the entire game concept of Thorvalla to show what they are trying to build.

Update 2 is a very nice summary of the mechanics. I'll wait for the announced mockup screens, but I am now pretty inclined to pledge.
The card-based combat idea sounds unusual, but certainly something I'd be interested in trying out. Funny enough it somewhat mirrors an idea I had for how to do Dialog as a "combat equivalent" gameplay element for my own dream RPG-I-will-never-make.

Back
Top Bottom