Planet Explorers

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Just caught my eye:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757963851/planet-explorers

Planet Explorers is an open world voxel based sandbox adventure RPG game set on a distant planet. The game uses a new OpenCL system based on the Unity 3D engine to allow players to change the terrain in anyway, create new objects in any form, and do it anywhere.

This is an RPG, so it will feature a full story arc complete with missions and side quests. The game will feature a single player story line as well as random single and multiplayer adventure maps. Multiplayer, both through LAN and online, will be featured prominently in Planet Explorers, including but not limited to build mode, adventure mode, cooperation mode, and versus mode.

Planet Explorers will be for PC and MAC for sure. Linux will be very likely (we're using the Unity engine, so it's a given, but we're testing this next week to be sure). No mobile versions are planned at this time.

This game will have a binding key that will link to your online multiplayer username. So it's no more or no less than Minecraft's DRM. You don't need to be logged in to play single player.

Alpha build is available to try it.
And I'm definetly backing it.

Great find! It's too bad this is getting the coverage it deserves. Hopefully they will get the word out as the KS goes along. I will back it.

Wow this looks amazing! I'm going to try out the alpha later on today, but I have a feeling I'll be backing this. Thanks for the heads-up!

I actually tried the alpha a few months ago and then bookmarked their website. This game has a ton of potential.

Game looks like something that should have 100 people and 50 million dollars behind it.

The way it's being done now - it might be very impressive considering the budget, but it'll look and feel half-assed.

Anyway, that's my impression.

I'd looked at this project before after hearing about it from a friend, but hadn't read the entire thing tbh. Now I have, and I'm in, getting multiple copies with a small investment is a nice bonus. I just hope they hit their goal, but they still have a lot of time left, so it should happen.

-Carn

Went to see what's new and I see 9 days left, only $15K more needed.
The project will most probably succeed in the end but am not sure if any of stretch goals will be reached which is a shame - I would definetly love to be able to design my own AI robot.

Some of the shots that I've seen for this game are simply incredible. And ya, Joxer, I'd like to be able to design our own AI robots, that would totally be extra cool!!

-Carn

6 days left and the goal almost reached, they need only $2K more.

There are good news however. One of devs said this:
what is up with stretch goals? We're doing them only because everyone else seems to be doing it and people expect this. But I don't believe in stretch goals, I believe in you do it or you don't, there is no try. :) Everything listed on our "stretch" goals, with the exception of the last 2 maybe, we plan to do anyway once we have the capacity, doesn't matter if we make the goals or not.

I would be good with them just finishing the game with the multiplayer version included with the single. Especially a big multiplayer map with build options rather the team deathmatch

Looks interesting. They passed the goal so that part is good to hear. One I will keep and eye on.

This is why I think that stretch goals can be a double edged sword. If I had never seen them, on this game, I would have thought, neat game, can't wait to try it. Now that I have seen them, I think, if this doesn't make the New Game + goal, I'll pass. Fortuitously, it looks like they might just make it. Still, I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to look at the stretch goals, anymore. That's got to be listed in the DSM somewhere.

Goal reached, finished with almost 138K which means AI design definetly included...
Goody.

They had some really cool stretch goals in this campaign, but they set them much too high.

At 200k they were going to include an explorable underwater city. I would really liked to have seen that.

Back
Top Bottom