Thief 4 - Announced

When it comes to stealth based games (which is what Assassin's Creed is even if it isn't just a stealth based game) there are several that I know of and even more with stealth based gameplay in them. The Splinter Cell series are all stealth based games and most D&D games have stealth based gameplay and the Elderscrolls series has stealth based gameplay also. There are others but that is what I can think of now and the only games that are just about thieving are the Thief games.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines as being heavy in stealth based gameplay and if you play a Nosferatu it is mostly stealth based.

I'm actually surprised (well, on the other hand I'm not) that no-one ever used the model of implementation for thieving from this game series in RPGs.

Direct influence: In a limited form though, the stealth system was introduced to Oblivion. The designer of the quest-line of Dark Brotherhood, Emil Pagliarulo was one of the designers of Thief II:Metal Age. Also, although I have mixed feeling to the town adventure in Deadly Shadows, it actually played like an RPG in a way. Unfortunately, while it's fun, NPC AI wasn't good enough to prevent things from being messed up. My overall reaction to Thief III is positive, though.

Indirect Influences: Deus Ex is, somehow, influenced from Thief. Warren Spector, being unhappy with the single game-play, added the other game-plays to the game. Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines, and probably Alpha Protocol seem to be influenced by Deus Ex, I think it makes quite a list in RPG genre.

Didn't Messiah of Might and Magic have something similar as well?

Dark Messiah was pretty similar in its stealth aspects, though more limited of course- it had a few ex LGS people working on it and Arkane hired one of the major fan mission designers from T1/2 as well. It also had a couple of Thief easter eggs (eg the 'master thief' armour referenced Garrett)

That's great news.
Thief 3 was way better than Deus Ex 2.
The gameplay from Thief 3 was indeed very good, although different from the first two ones, and the story was good.
The BIG problem was the lack of balancing, proabably lack of polishing in the end. It's a pity, the first play though was a bit boring, once I found a mod to dramatically limit the resources it became a blow.
Reminds very much of Gothic 3.... Couldn't stand playing it after 10 hours or so when it came out, had not touched it again since that time. I'm now playing with CP, and with good balancing, it became one of my favorite game ever, on par with G1 and G2

Thief 3 was way better than Deus Ex 2.

That's good to hear, I'm playing DX:IW right now, and it sucks compared to the first DX. I'm still going to finish it just for the storyline though, which is actually pretty decent.

I have Thief 3, but other than the demo, I haven't played it yet. Playing through all three Thief games is something I've wanted to do for some time now.

I agree that the stories of DX:IW and Thief:DS Thief: DS are decent/more than decent, which often makes me pretty forgiving. It would be nice if "Thief 4" has no cartoonish aspect, though.

Last edited:
That's good to hear, I'm playing DX:IW right now, and it sucks compared to the first DX. I'm still going to finish it just for the storyline though, which is actually pretty decent.

I have Thief 3, but other than the demo, I haven't played it yet. Playing through all three Thief games is something I've wanted to do for some time now.

Completely agree with the Thief 3> DX:IW assessment. Replayed some of both last year. Thief 3 remains the same, while DX:IW plays lousy, looks lousy ... is lousy.

Completely agree with the Thief 3> DX:IW assessment. Replayed some of both last year. Thief 3 remains the same, while DX:IW plays lousy, looks lousy ... is lousy.

I almost quit DX:IW about half-way through, but I'm glad I didn't. Yes the game is terrible when compared directly to Deus-Ex, but the story really picks up in the 2nd half of the game, and I'm actually finding it somewhat enjoyable now.

I just noticed my previous post has an unintended "cartoonish" aspect...

DX:IW was from the time when the publishers shied away from even the word "RPG" and the size of each area map was said to have designed to fit the limited memory of Xbox... That said, I have enough reason to appreciate them since it has been being really hard to find a game with even a decent story.

I guess I should attempt to play IW again, then, though I've already tried to get into it a half dozen times. Last time I got to Cairo (?) and gave up.

I'm a gameplay before story guy, so maybe it's just a lost cause.

Back
Top Bottom