Two Worlds - Released on Steam

Wow ... two months and a $20 price drop for Steam ... guess sales aren't so rosy ...

No surprise there, but I wouldn't get a game like Two Worlds off of Steam. I have to have that nice thick manual with my crpg's. :)

I've considered it, good exchange rate at the moment. But I've really got enough to play thru at the moment. Steam could use a few more RPG game options though.

I miss large manuals, PDFs just don't cut it.

I do wonder if I have the time for Two Worlds or not. Every review I read about the game have just rambled about Oblivion which is information completely useless to me. IGN's review seems to be the most honest: "This game is glitchy and unpolished, and these quirks will prevent it from duplicating the real key to Oblivion's success: mainstream appeal." and "There are people out there – especially the hardcore computer-RPG nuts that have been rocking Elder Scrolls since Arena – who are going to love it." but I would have enjoyed a review written by someone who appreciate roleplaying games and Oblivion do not qualify as a roleplaying game in my book. I want to know things like... Are the quests linear or do they allow me to make personal choices? How free is the world to roam in? How robust is the character/skill system and what kind of RPG'ish minigames are there (I heard something about a decent alchemy system).

Whoa, cheaper than in Poland (I think), I wonder if any taxes are added for European orders.

Germans really like the game. The review scale (PC and xbox) is around 80%-90%:
http://www.2-worlds.com/ (over 20 reviews)

English review scale is around 20% - 87% (20 reviews). Thats a major difference dunno why. Best bet is to try the demo instead of reading the reviews. If you like it at all then perhaps its worth buying. Thats how I managed to make my decision. The reviews were useless in this case.

The reason is easy. Zuxxez is a German publisher. They were able to secure pretty good press coverage in their home market. Which automatically leads to more allocated time for "professional" reviews.

I do wonder if I have the time for Two Worlds or not. Every review I read about the game have just rambled about Oblivion which is information completely useless to me. IGN's review seems to be the most honest: "This game is glitchy and unpolished, and these quirks will prevent it from duplicating the real key to Oblivion's success: mainstream appeal." and "There are people out there – especially the hardcore computer-RPG nuts that have been rocking Elder Scrolls since Arena – who are going to love it." but I would have enjoyed a review written by someone who appreciate roleplaying games and Oblivion do not qualify as a roleplaying game in my book. I want to know things like... Are the quests linear or do they allow me to make personal choices? How free is the world to roam in? How robust is the character/skill system and what kind of RPG'ish minigames are there (I heard something about a decent alchemy system).

I absolutely love the game... it's much, much better than Gothic 3... closer to what G3 should have been. I'm even enjoying it more than oblivion...

Just like in G1 and G2 you can use the environment to your advantage... for example... if a bandit is giving you a hard time, and there's a pack of wolves nearby... just have the bandit chase you until you get to the wolves... if you do it just right the pack will attack the bandit... causing him to have to fight for his life. I never saw this happen once in G3... in fact it was like all of nature was out to get me. In G3 if I had any humanoid attacking me, and there were wild animals near as well... everything would attack me as if they all worked for the same big team. There were times that I had rhinos, wolves, and orcs all attacking me at the same time... it was goofy.

Two Worlds is getting a bum rap... mostly because of the poor xbox implementation... everyone has different tastes... but for me, this is a great game. I'll be sad when it's over.

To answer your questions -

* quests are mostly not linear (except for the main quest)... you have several choices on how to complete (or not complete) each quest... you can even just say scr3w it and kill anyone you want. And there are TONS of interesting quests.

* You can roam the world freely at all times. But forget the scaling of the big O. If you choose to go to a place that is obviously beyond your skills... YOU WILL GET KILLED.

* I love the character/skill system. Not all of the skills are completely useful and I think a couple are still broken... but overall you can craft the type of character you want... with most of the active skills being really cool to use.

* Alchemy is good, though I don't use it much. Even though it makes absolutely no "realistic" sense... the ability to take like items (weapons, armor) and combine them to make more powerful items is extremely cool. And there are so many different types of armor and weapons that it's amazing. And each piece of armor is part of a set... so it can be fun to try to get just the set of armor you're looking for.

I love it... and I can't see why any CRPG lover wouldn't...

I like the game, mostly because it is unpretentious and the world has a believable look to it with dense forests and all (provided you up the graphics to the max, without DoF the game looks very cartoony). I would however say most quests actually are linear (with about ten exceptions). The game also has fewer quests than both G3 and Oblivion. In 1.5 it felt like the reputation system was broken (three quests would max out your reputation with a faction, and though six of the factions had obvious mortal enemies there was no penalty to having a high rep with an opposing faction). The alchemy system does its thing, but isnt particularly exciting in itself and not worthy of being called a mini game.

To mention the big O again I found Two worlds a pleasant but forgettable mix of Oblivion and Diablo. Emphasis is decidedly on character building and combat more than anything else.

I could give you a list but how about the "dialogue is offensively bad", as a start?

You know... having played over 30 hours of the game at this point, that comment just doesn't fly with me.

In the first 10 minutes of the game you think "wow... this dialogue is corny"... but as you play it actually gets a bit better.

Sure the voice acting isn't great, and they chose to use some silly words to make it sound "medieval-ish"... but so what. The conversations get the point across and I actually think they are done quite well (as far as flow and structure).

At this point I've probably read/heard thousands of lines of dialogue and overall it's really not that bad...

Sorry... but that one doesn't work for me as a reason to skip this game.

I don't have your 30 hours - I stopped around somewhere under 20 due to other commitments. I'm not claiming this as a reason not to play it - people can try the demo and decide for themselves. What I am responding to is the idea that any CRPG lover should love it.

I don't have your 30 hours - I stopped around somewhere under 20 due to other commitments. I'm not claiming this as a reason not to play it - people can try the demo and decide for themselves. What I am responding to is the idea that any CRPG lover should love it.

Point taken... and you're right... I was a bit overzealous in my recommendation... especially considering the fact that every CRPG lover is an entirely different animal... what tickles one of our fancies, doesn't necessarily tickle that of another player...

So I revise my recommendation and say... I think it's a great game that has been given a bum wrap by most mainstream reviewers. I'm not so sure that playing the demo will really give you a good taste of what it has to offer, but in my experience, it is a very good addition to the CRPG market... ;)

As Dhruin hinted at earlier, just read our review!! :)

The more I play Two Worlds the more I like it, but anyone who says it's better than Gothic 3 is way off.

Just a case in point how every CRPG gamer is different...

G3 bored the snot out of me... boring combat, boring story... just tired and boring. Terrible implementation of a beautiful world. I had to trudge my way through it just because I felt like I owed the series that much.

And this is coming from a guy who considers G1 and G2 to be right up there as two of the greatest CRPGs ever!

Once again... we're all different... so what floats my boat may sink yours :)

Listing "boring combat" as a complaint about Gothic 3 while talking about Two Worlds is comical.

Opinions do differ though, and TW is definitely not a bad game at all.

Anyone hear anything about when the 1.6 patch is going to be released?

Back
Top Bottom