JoWooD - Game Over

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Several sources report that JoWooD's insolvency process is moving forward, unfortunately not in the desired direction.
  • Negotiations with possible investors, and with them the intended restructuring plan, have failed.
  • JoWooD pulls back the application to pursue a restructuring plan.
  • Thereby the insolvency with a planned restructuring becomes an insolvency without a positive continuation prognosis.
  • This means the liquidation proceedings will start shortly.
  • The daughter company JoWooD Distribution Services GmbH files for insolvency on April 21st 2011.
  • Trading of the JoWooD shares at the Vienna Stock Exchange has been suspended.
Sources:
Boerse-Express (1)
Boerse-Express (2)
ORF
derStandard
More information.

Meh.

Additional text because it won't let me just submit 'meh.'

A good name back in the days. Now nothing more then a name. Soon its not even a name.

Even a name can be sold. ;)

Brand names can be sold, yes.
Just look at the "Drakensang" name ...

Well I hope jw employees manage to land on decent jobs.

As for the firm itself. I can't say i'm surprised. They took a massive chance with Arcania, but the game became a turd. I wonder what would have happened if they never broke off with piranhas bytes.

I can't even say I am sad to see them go.... I wish I could... but they just don't know a thing about how to treat loyal customer or loyal developers.

Oh well I was hoping to play the expansion pack for Arcania: Gothic 4and the Spellfore 2 expansion but it looks like it wont be happening now. Still everyone saw this coming.

The Arcania add-on is finished. It's quite probable somebody will publish it.

That's what you get for treating customers and developers like trash. Too bad the chances for the Spellforce 2 expansion to see the light of day just got smaller... As for the Arcania expansion... No thanks. Arcania sucked enough, no need for Forsaken Gods part deux.

The Arcania add-on is finished. It's quite probable somebody will publish it.

I know that but due to there problems it probably will still not be released unless someone buys the rights.

As for the Arcania expansion… No thanks. Arcania sucked enough, no need for Forsaken Gods part deux.

I wouldn't say it sucked just a matter of it not being as hardcore as the earlier ones. Its still a time waster and I found some enjoyment playing the game. And yes I played the earlier ones before you ask.

Hope JoWooD sells the Gothic rights to PB.

Actually, they will be sold to EA. Dragon Age 3 will be about doing battle with a huge sloth demon named The Sleeper. You'll be playing a human male and won't be allowed to pick a name. Romance options are out but you will be allowed to smoke just about anything in the game.

Hope JoWooD sells the Gothic rights to PB.

Actually, they will be sold to EA. Dragon Age 3 will be about doing battle with a huge sloth demon named The Sleeper. You'll be playing a human male and won't be allowed to pick a name. Romance options are out but you will be allowed to smoke just about anything in the game.

PB doesn't have to buy the rights back, they already owned it. It was basically on loan to Jowood through Gothic 4 and 1 expansion. For Gothic 5 and beyond PB has every right to start making Gothic games. This is probably the major contributing factor to why Risen 2 setting is changing compared to how Risen 1 was, because Risen and Gothics were basically the same setting, but with Risen 2, now Risen series and the Gothic series have different settings. I have no doubt that after Risen 2, they will start to make Gothic 5. http://www.dasreviews.com/das-game-news/gothic-series-rights-piranha-bytes/

PB doesn't have to buy the rights back, they already owned it. It was basically on loan to Jowood through Gothic 4 and 1 expansion. For Gothic 5 and beyond PB has every right to start making Gothic games. This is probably the major contributing factor to why Risen 2 setting is changing compared to how Risen 1 was, because Risen and Gothics were basically the same setting, but with Risen 2, now Risen series and the Gothic series have different settings. I have no doubt that after Risen 2, they will start to make Gothic 5. http://www.dasreviews.com/das-game-news/gothic-series-rights-piranha-bytes/

They should probably just call it Gothic:Reborn and start over after not making the 4th one.

Back
Top Bottom