What games are you playing now?

Ok, Lords and Ladies. It's decision time at Casa del DTE and I'm well and truly stumped. What to play next? I have this feeling that I'm not up for a major time commitment--I think I need something that plays well in 30-60 minute bursts-- which puts a pretty good kink in the decision.

1) Drakensang- this is probably my top choice, but I wandered away from it to replay UFO:ET, which isn't encouraging
2) King's Bounty- I got a bit stuck on the Elf Islands when I was playing and didn't finish. I intend to start over for various reasons, but that's throwing away a buttload of hours which might sour the experience.
3) NWN2 OC + MotB- I made it to chapter 3, but this game just never grabbed me like NWN1 did. I feel like I should give it another try, but I don't know that I really want to.
4) X3- I installed it but never took the time to learn the new interface. After all the hours I spend with X2, I imagine this would be a good choice.
5) DivDiv- I was having a fairly good time with this one, but got bogged down in the infamous opening dungeon, died a bloody death, and never went back.
6) Wiz8- it's been nearly a year since I did Dodd's mod. I was getting a bit burned out, but perhaps it's time for another taste of perfection.
7) Majesty2- I could play solitaire until Saturday and pick this one up. Tempting, but I'd feel guilty getting a new shiny when I've got so many perfectly good shinys on the shelf.

I've actually got several other games to play/finish (Gothic1, ToEE, JA2, 1701AD), but I think I'll stick with one of the above. It's a bit bizarre--in my personal and professional life I'm very decisive but anymore when it comes to games, I'm like a woman in a shoe store. So, can the board help a wishy-washy brutha out?

I'm liking PS:T very much. As I expected, it took me by surprise.

A few thoughts:

- Great atmosphere. I'm still in the first district, and everything feels so wretched, I almost feel dirty myself. A captivating story, so far.

- I like the dialogues, however, I'm playing a localised version, so every now and then I'm annoyed by flaws in translation.

- The Infinity Engine rules. They don't make games like these nowadays.

- Music! Very atmospheric, very… familiar?

Heh, what was I thinking all these years, I've no idea. Still, here I am, playing it now. Cheers.

@dte:

I'd say Gothic, but from that list… well, I found both Drakensang and NWN2 to be time-consuming, and UFO:ET actually led me to losing a lot of sleep (never finished the game, though), so *I'd* avoid them for now. The other titles, I do not know.

Last edited:
@DTE

I'd recommend DD. You can explore and do quests at a leisurely pace. That first dungeon is a lot easier if you first explore the town and pick up a few goodies. There's also a shopkeeper that can help to outfit you. The game gets MUCH better once you get through the first dungeon. :)

Can't really comment on Gothic, NWN 2 or Drakensang yet. As you know, W8 does have the super long battles, which may not fit into your schedule.

I started off trying to get into NWN2 but I just can't stand it. I played TitanQuest demo last night and really liked it. I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage of those $5 deals! I wan't mooooore TitanQuest now, especially after watching those deliciously gory Diablo 3 gameplay vids! I guess I'm in the mood for something mindless.

I'm slowly making my way through Call of Cthulthu. It's tough and harrowing! Lots of sneaking.

I need to get my laptop fixed. I can only play on batteries, otherwise it overheats. Makes for slow going as I wait for recharges.

I'm slowly making my way through Call of Cthulthu. It's tough and harrowing! Lots of sneaking.

I need to get my laptop fixed. I can only play on batteries, otherwise it overheats. Makes for slow going as I wait for recharges.

Wow! My laptop only lasts about an hour on battery since I don't allow it to go into power saver mode. That must really suck!

Playing KOTOR 2: TSL with DStoney's Restoration Project. It's not as much fun as I remembered, but still good, clean fun.

PJ, are there any bugs / problems with the restored content? I'm tempted to try it out now, but since this is an "open beta" I thought I'd wait for the polished version.

So far, the only (semi-)serious bugs I've encountered have been from the vanilla game. The restored content itself appears to be working well and is, overall, pretty nicely integrated into the game -- in many cases, you don't even notice it's there; it's just that some loose ends from the vanilla game are now sorted out.

There are a few instances of somewhat awkward intercuts, or the screen fading in and out unnecessarily before or after the new content, but nothing to seriously detract from the experience so far.

IOW, yeah, it's a beta, but it's a pretty damn stable beta as such things go IMO.

@dte:
I'd recommend King's Bounty or DivDiv, but then I would. Each of those seem better for divvying up into shorter sessions to me. I don't think I ever played any longer than an hour at a time on either one. NWN2 is pretty decent classic rpg in the Biowarean mode, but I can't ever see going back and playing it again, and we all know my issues with MotB.

@ToddMcF2002: I still play Titan Quest--it's replaced my semi-annual Diablo II runs, and will hold that spot til DIII emerges from the womb of Blizzard. Don't forget to get the expansion for the caravans so you can trade items between toons. :)

DTE, you need to ask yourself what you're in the mood for. Your list includes RPGs, a turn-based strategy game, and a 4X space game.

My vote would be for King's Bounty, but I'm guessing you would really enjoy X3 as well, going by much you loved X2.

I'm almost ready for Risen, having polished Batman and RE5 and just about done plowing as much crap out of Red Faction Guerrilla as possible ... got delayed a bit to finish a pre-launch review for Gran Turismo for PSP.

You can D/L the manuals on replacementdocs.

BTW, D2D is very inconsistent in how it handles game manuals. Some come with manuals in the game DL. For others, D2D provides separate downloads for manuals in a huge list that has to be manually searched. And in some cases, it provides no manuals at all. O_O

Also the activation is a bit squirrelly. Some require separate D2D activation, some do not.

Just ordered TitanQuest Gold which includes expansion - $12 shipped from J&R :)

J&R is great. Good prices, shipping, and fast.

So, what's bugging you about NWN 2? Once I'm done with my action/adventure/survival horror vacation from RPGs, NWN 2+expansions is my first next choice… Been wanting to play a half-drow Arcane Trickster for a while....

I got an email today telling me my copy of Risen has been shipped. Guess what I'm playing sometime next week!! :)

still chopping away at Majesty2, still havent completed the sp game yet because i keep replaying some scenarios w/ different miniions. Combined w/ a replay of the original Majesty, I'm headed for a potential major majesty burnout!

Back
Top Bottom