Risen 2 or Two Worlds 2

k1000

Watchdog
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hi everyone, I was wondering if some of you have some thoughts on these two games. I hesitate between Risen 2 and TW 2 (on my backlog of games to play ). Would like to play both but have limited time in the immediate between work and family. I liked the Gothic series a lot but was a bit disappointed with Risen. I found TW 1 fun but not too deep story wise or RPG wise. How are the sequels different from the originals? Any of your opinions would help.

I love Two Worlds 2. The most notable change is they got rid of the quasi-King James period English ;) Another big change was with crafting. You now break down equipment you don't need to improve equipment that you are actually using. The magic system was revamped and 2W2 has the most unique spells I've ever seen. One spell allows you to sling anvils around in a tornado like vortex! You no longer have the hots for your own sister as they made her uglier and added a couple of other gals for your avatar to fixate over. It's an awesome game....well except for respawns. 2W2 has respawns of wildlife, so you'll never completely "clear" an area.

One thing that might be in Risen 2's favor for you though, is it is a much smaller game. You could play through R2 in a week. No way to do that and finish everything in 2W2. I'll let someone else sing R2's praises as I never played it. I just remember lots of complaints that it was smaller than the Gothics.

In short Risen 2 has better writing and world design.2W2 on the other hand has better gameplay(none of those games have particularly good combat to be honest), and far better skill, gear and magic systems.Decide which of those thing you appreciate more.

Risen2 = no endless mobrespawns = no immortal enemies.
If just that isn't instabuy, dunno what is.

Risen2 = no endless mobrespawns = no immortal enemies.
If just that isn't instabuy, dunno what is.

Surely you can tolerate some respwns in rpgs, particularly bush animals - you have to maintain the eco system, otherwise frogs and little critters will take over the world ;).

I thought ppl here want to play RPG, not Zynga's Farmville. :evilgrin:

My vote is definitely for 2W2. It has a MUCH better magic system than R2!!

Two Worlds 2 was an excellent game. And do not miss the expansion because it's even better.

I didn't like Two Worlds 2 much - even though I expected to like it a lot. Ultimately, it was too "gamey" and lacked a strong personality. It was an awkward combination of action mechanics and traditional RPG features. It's like it doesn't know if it wants to be Diablo or Skyrim - and ends up not being good in either way. For instance, the archery and stealth mechanics are awful - and the loot system makes no sense at all.

Risen 2, on the other hand, is an excellent game with most of the PB strengths intact.

I'd definitely recommend Risen 2 in this case.

If you like playing mages, throwing fireballs and stuff, go for 2W2.
R2 has a pirate setting where the only magic is Voodoo with buffs, curses and healing. No actual combat spells.

I didn't like Two Worlds 2 much - even though I expected to like it a lot. Ultimately, it was too "gamey" and lacked a strong personality. It was an awkward combination of action mechanics and traditional RPG features. It's like it doesn't know if it wants to be Diablo or Skyrim - and ends up not being good in either way. For instance, the archery and stealth mechanics are awful - and the loot system makes no sense at all.

I'd second this, especially the "gamey" bit. There was no sense of immersion.

If Risen 2 is anything like Gothic or Risen 1, it's a sure winner. Go with Risen 2.

I didn't play Risen 2 yet, so I can only speak for 2W2. While being fun at the beginning, 2W2 became increasingly shallow and tedious later on, especially when the novelty of the magic system and crafting wore off. Plus, the main character becomes so overpowered and the loot so useless that I had to make myself finish the game. Still, the beginning was quite entertaining.

Thank you all for advice! I think I'll try Two Worlds 2 based on your feedback. I'll get to Risen 2 when I have more time (if that ever happens!) ;)

I'm too late, but thought I'd chip in my thoughts anyway, as I've played both games recently. I found the world and characters far, far superior in R2. There's not a great deal to shout about either game's combat system (though I found more challenge, and hence feeling of progression, in R2) or story.

Ultimately, R2 was just a heap more fun. Give it a go when you get bored of TW2. ;)

Only if you've finished the game vanilla first. Neil changes the game so much it doesn't feel like the same game at all. If you enjoy difficult, prolonged combat then you'll want to try it. The merging really isn't anything special as the non-vanilla areas are still very sparsely populated outside of combatants. One Caveat: I played an earlier version of this mod, so things might have changed considerably.

Just reinstalled Two Worlds II ... thanks guys ;)

I've been fighting the urge, but I feel the need to deliver the head to the funeral director. Nobody should be interred without their head. I always hate it when that happens ;)

Back
Top Bottom