11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

Still, it's not going to be targeted at high end users, so he might get some traction with the people that are still running XP, but even they will diminish over time.
I think he's saying that us XP users are "of an age" to start dying off soon, but I'm not quite sure. ;)

No, OLD XP users never die, they just fade away!! :D

Rage, Rage against the dying of the old XP!! :) (and watch Dylan Thomas roll over in his grave).

Once you go 7, you never go back!

(coming from an old XP holdout who recently emerged from his bunker)

My main concern is getting my horde of older games to work correctly. I guess I'll find out eventually, since I was planning on buying a new laptop within a year or two.

Why agonize over which OS when you can have both? A dual-boot setup is very simple…

Well, it better support widescreen !
emot-argh.gif

Bah! We will not go quietly into the night! *draws broadsword*
Standard procedure, men. Someone attempt to grapple him, we'll then surround him while you're checking what the exact rules are for grapple.

Last edited:
Now if we're going to try and figure out grapple rules, I'm leaving. That's way too much effort.

JD - I could, but that would involve me not being lazy. Plus, tracking down drivers for XP, when the hardware may or may not have drivers available (been there, done that). And the fact that I'm liable to never use Win7 at all since XP does everything I want it to do.

C'mon now… it's not like the old days where you had to manually install 20 different drivers for Windows 95-98. :)

Personally, I'd stick with WinXP if it wasn't capped at Direct X 9. I like playing my newer games in full glory.

See that's the difference; even on older games that I can max it out, I usually don't. I run CoD1 and UO at the minimum, for the best speed possible.

And when I installed XP on this laptop, I had to set up a Linux dual boot just so I could go online and find the driver for my ethernet and be able to use XP to download the rest of the drivers. I had to manually track down, download, and install every driver. Since my next computer will also be a laptop, just with a real graphics chip, I'm likely to be in the same situation, except possibly worse as there's no guarantee that there will be XP drivers for everything.

Even a mid-range video card by todays standards can run games like those at top speed, with every possible feature enabled. I'd much rather play a game in its full glory than worry about a speed difference that's negligible anyways.

My dual-boot suggestion was just for desktop systems, I'm not too familiar with laptops.

Grimore Dos Beta

Hi,

Those ironworks screenshots look as though they are from the old Dos beta which I am currently playing. I am stuck in a few places and could do with a bit of help. Is there anyone out there who has finished it?

I've finished the windows beta twice and have written a walkthru for the first section of the game which comprises the free demo.

Even a mid-range video card by todays standards can run games like those at top speed, with every possible feature enabled. I'd much rather play a game in its full glory than worry about a speed difference that's negligible anyways.

My dual-boot suggestion was just for desktop systems, I'm not too familiar with laptops.

My laptop would like to have the equivalent of a mid-range card. I'm lucky it has 3D acceleration. :p

It's pretty much the same type job to set up a dual boot, it's just that laptop hardware is quite a bit more difficult to find drivers for. It'll cost about $700 or more to have a usable-for-new games video chipset and 4GB of RAM last I checked. And I don't know that there are even XP drivers available for that specific chipset (ATI). Whats more, is it'll be needing replacement in 2 years at best. Especially if I go with XP.

Not really. I enjoy the portability, and with my current living area being tiny, it's much better than say a 6' tower and 72" flat screen, but I could do the same/better with a desktop PC. For that matter, I probably could build a PC right now for less that could do much more. *shrug* Or buy a Mac, and run XP through bootcamp. Though I hated the way the people at the Mac store treated me, so I'm not likely to ever buy a Mac.

I've never been one to care about the latest and greatest though. I wait until there's 10 new games I want before buying a console, buy used, and rarely run the highest settings even if I can. I play ADOM and Dwarf Fortress as well as newer games, and still play my old DOS and Win95/98 stuff as well. The reasons I want to get a more powerful laptop are Dragon Age, Gothic 3, and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

When I first heard abut this game it was in the making and I was waiting for the release of Baldur's Gate 2. Good old rpgdot days. I also remember an interview of its developer I think written by Corwin.

I've finished the windows beta twice and have written a walkthru for the first section of the game which comprises the free demo.

Lucky fellow. :)

Back
Top Bottom