Torchlight II - Demo Available

i'll see how it feels after a few hours of runs, so far it was better than diablo3, which is quite refreshing!

Enjoying the demo so will probably get the full game. I already like a lot more than D3, which I deleted about halfway in or so.

But I will admit to being a big fan of animal companions so being an Embermage with a wolf companion sold me pretty quickly.

Tried the demo for about 5 min (!) - never played Torchlight , and the amount of stuff on the UI seems rather intimidating. And there's no explanation, which is irritating. I looked at keybindings and figured out what TAB does (swap 2 alternate powers…presumably you can only have two 'active') - but what is the icon on the left of the quickbar? I trick clicking it - says primary weapon now, but if I right-click I only use what's in on the icon to right of the quickbar and left click moves. So how do I access that? I know its only a demo, but if they don't bother explaining stuff, then I lose interest very quickly. Either in-game help or via a manual. I avoided Diablo 3, so no idea how it compares. Any ideas as to whether it contains the same mindless re-spawning that seems to pervade all aRPG's these days? I've almost abandoned the genre because of that…

what are you talking about with 1.4gb 180mb?

Tried the demo for about 5 min (!) - never played Torchlight , and the amount of stuff on the UI seems rather intimidating. And there's no explanation, which is irritating. I looked at keybindings and figured out what TAB does (swap 2 alternate powers…presumably you can only have two 'active') - but what is the icon on the left of the quickbar? I trick clicking it - says primary weapon now, but if I right-click I only use what's in on the icon to right of the quickbar and left click moves. So how do I access that? I know its only a demo, but if they don't bother explaining stuff, then I lose interest very quickly. Either in-game help or via a manual. I avoided Diablo 3, so no idea how it compares. Any ideas as to whether it contains the same mindless re-spawning that seems to pervade all aRPG's these days? I've almost abandoned the genre because of that…

Respawning is an integral part of these type of games, or else you would end up with large empty worlds.

If you want to know what everything on the screen does, click on the question mark on the right hand side of your hub. In other words, in game help.

How intense is the respawning? Does every monster on a level respawn as soon as you exit/re-enter the level?

Please tell me that's not the case. I purchased it today on an impulse…

How intense is the respawning? Does every monster on a level respawn as soon as you exit/re-enter the level?

Please tell me that's not the case. I purchased it today on an impulse…
When you kill something, it stays that way. No respawn.
EDIT: After backtracking to previous locations for the robot quest, I found out that the above statement is not entirely true. Monsters were respawned and the map was reset. So I guess monsters don't respawn for a long while. Not forever.

Level 11 so far and I have to say it's much much better than Torchlight. ( which I didn't like very much. ) I think it's a great antidote for Dark Souls. Just as much that game is hard,slow and unforgiving, Torchlight is smooth, fast and extremely easy. I mean I'm playing the game in the hardest difficulty and still, my character and his pet hawk kick ass like there's no tomorrow. Even if you die ( which rarely happens unless you're REALLY distracted ) , consequences are very slim. If you want a pick and play kind of game, Torchlight 2 is the best choice.

Last edited:
Respawning is an integral part of these type of games, or else you would end up with large empty worlds.

If you want to know what everything on the screen does, click on the question mark on the right hand side of your hub. In other words, in game help.

Ah, ok, I didn't see notice that. I don't mind a small amount of respawning, after a decent amount of time. But after playing Borderlands I lost my taste for complete respawning, where everything you killed comes back. Way too quickly.

Hm. The camera angle is not very nice - looks like it should be lower somehow. Oh well, probably not my kind of game anyway.

what are you talking about with 1.4gb 180mb?

The game download was 1.4 gigabytes (I know, I just downloaded it). that's 1.4 GB, not 1.4 Gb (1.4 Gigabits) => 1.4/8 Gigabytes => 180 MB (megabytes). small 'b' is bits and big B is bytes. It makes a big difference when you download things with a small cap....

I didn't have that big expectations after first torchligh but TL2 is improved in every way.Skill tree is lot better,initial skills actually useful later on.As frozen fireball said nice game to relax after dying horribly in Dark souls and FTL.

one thing i really disapprove of TL2 is the in game soundtrack-way too similar to diablo 2. is that somekind of joke of the developer or trying to appeal? i mean couldn't you ask the composer to come up with something unique and interesting, like say, deathspank?
i think that was a very cheap comeback. but all the other things are just great, especially the pace.

Torchlight took Matt Uelmen from Blizzard back when Torchlight 1 was in development so stylistic similarities between TL and Diablo music a pretty much a given. Much like how the score for TL1 nods back to his Diablo 1 score frequently, the TL2 score nods back his Diablo 2 score.

I'm enjoying the demo far more than I thought. I told myself before release that I wasn't going to buy it, but I think I'm about to break and buy it anyway. It's hard to resist when it is 1/4 of the price of Diablo 3.

Just bit of a warning... my shared stash just disappeared (it was full). From some googling and the tl2 forum being inaccessible, I'm guessing I'm not the only person having this issue. Game has been a blast up to this point (around lvl 33 with an Outlander). It looked like steam updated the game this morning.

Back
Top Bottom