How Many RPGs Must You Play Until...

Burress

Sentinel
You are awarded maximum level in all future RPGs? Honestly, I think the work I put in to Might & Magic II alone two decades ago should have covered it. I must have put 100 hours in to grinding cuisanarts up to level 255 or something, and the things I have done for levels since then would fill a lesser man with regret.

I think I should I have a VIP card by now where I don't have to do anything for levels I don't want to anymore. Hey shopkeep, you have some boxes of goods you want fetched from bandits? Not happening anymore. But I have done that many times before, so respect my gaming heroism of the past and pretend I did it this time. Don't make me do menial stuff for virtual people anymore.

Just have all games include a mechanism to let me cash it in, give me props for the entire body of work I have done, and I will be happy. Seriously, how much of my life can I waste wanting to get to the next level in RPGs? I spend 90% of my time in RPGs with some vague wanting to be stronger. I don't need that anymore. I am strong. My work in M&M II proved it long ago.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of cheats in most game to achieve that, but I'm guessing that would be a "be careful what you wish for" proposition.

I am worried about it, I admit. It is troubling considering what it would be like if I just show the devs my gaming resume, and they concede I probably would have killed the bandits, and they can just give me credit for the work. I am worried about what I would do with all the time I am not feeding my OCD power-leveling compulsion.

I am just asking for side-quest credit. Everyone knows anybody could complete a side-quest, but they feel they have to do it because of the reward, but 99% of them are just filler anyway. Just have a button on the questgiver that says "Pretend I did this like a cross between a sleuth and a slot machine addict" and have it give the maximum rewards from actually doing the quest. Because that is what I would do, if I wasn't above that now. Because now I realize it and can say it, I am strong. I would have a fortune right now if I was properly paid for all the time I spent making numbers go up in video games. I deserve recognition for my strength.

Last edited:
I hear you brother. I've long thought that Bethesda and Bioware should have compensated me for the tools I had to write for the community so that others could make the game replayable enough that I and others could spend hundreds of hours killing mutants, orcs and dragons and collecting all of the widgets.

In DDO you can buy or earn Veteran Status. This allows you to skip levels. You can begin at either level 4, or level 7 and I believe in the new expansion coming later this year you will be able to skip all the way to level 15. Your wishes have been answered!! :)

I disagree. To me, getting there is what RPGs are all about. Otherwise I might as well just play Quake.

I put my time in back in the day with Final Fantasy 7. First game ever where the game time played read 99:99:99 and it stayed that way for months. I spent well over 500 hours with that game. I 100% completed the game and reached level 99 with all characters, every limit break, every ultimate weapon, etc. Also mastered many, many materias.

These days I'm not that hardcore. My time limit playing huge RPGs is around 200 hours. At about that time I start to get bored and put the game away for something else.

But these days I'm not so obsessed with leveling up or anything, and I tend to put more emphasis on the journey rather than the destination.

I actually tend to enjoy the early parts of a single player RPG when resources are scarce and everything you can acquire might somehow be useful. I even find it somewhat enjoyable that early quests are somewhat straight forward. I can understand how others might be tired of these things but somehow I keep enjoying these kinds of things. I still even look forward to fantasy settings with orcs and elves as tired as everyone else seems to be of these things. I'm sorry I've over used the word 'things' in my post. :(

@TheMadGamer said
I actually tend to enjoy the early parts of a single player RPG when resources are scarce and everything you can acquire might somehow be useful.

+1

So you want to skip part of a game because you played other games with a similar progression. Why play it at all then if you find it to be that tedious. Invest your money in more innovative titles.

Your desire to skip monotony based on a prior pedigree of monotony does nothing to address the elephant in the room… If a title is truly absorbing, you won't want to skip anything. This should all be common sense.

I actually tend to enjoy the early parts of a single player RPG when resources are scarce and everything you can acquire might somehow be useful.

Same here.

I think Risen did an awesome job in this area. I really liked the early game in that game.

Yes, I love that kind of beginning as well - and pretty much all PB games have hit the nail on the head there. G3 was less successful at it - I'd say - but otherwise I think they all worked brilliantly in terms of the initial stages.

Too bad not many RPGs maintain that through whole game.I can think of only few games like that,like eschalon or king's bounty(only on impossible even on hard gold isn't problem).I would like to see more RPGs where you don't get rich by mid game.

Well, if I understood correctly, this is mainly about replaying a game. But I think the right way to make a game re-playable is to make each quest/fight challenging and different on each play-thought not allowing the player to auto-finish it.

Well if it's about replaying the same game, I understand that, though I almost never replay RPGs, probably for that same reason. I may want to try a different party composition, but just thinking about all the things I have to do again makes me uninstall the game instead (especially considering the backlog I have).

Very strange topic. It's like a mountaineer saying he's climbed six or seven mountains so now he should get a helicopter ride to the tops of the rest. If you don't enjoy climbing mountains (or building up your character), then why are you doing this?

Games can definitely do the progression badly but those are either action RPGs where the fun is supposed to come from something else or just flat out bad games. I haven't seen many of either in recent years.

P.S. Low level, high level, mid level - whatever. Just make sure it keeps changing at a decent rate and I'm happy.

Too bad not many RPGs maintain that through whole game.

That is unfortunately true. But it's still fun while it lasts. I agree with other posters here that PB games tend to do well in this area. There is a certain thrill about items that are either scarce or very expensive that would greatly aid you, but you can't acquire them due to their rarity or price. It also makes subsequent play-throughs interesting as, at least for me, I try to get those things sooner having some past experience with the game.

what he said

I too love the beginnings of games where every penny matters and you can get your ass handed to you by goblins or a lowly kobold. Wish that feeling would last though...
+1 to the Gothics / Risen (like you guys already said)
+1 to BG1
+1 to Fallout if I remember correctly, maybe even Fallout 2?

Skyrim got too easy too soon. Im sure there are mods to fix this but they cant give me back the feeling of starting out and everything is new and exciting around every bend.

Time you enjoyed wasting isn't wasted time.
Nothing more can be said, I have to admit that when I launched ultima IV I had the same feelings, but at the end is just all we need is a shorter/longer of distraction/break then come back and play the genre of games we liked to play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom