Technology preview of Windows 8

I've been reading an article on Windows 8 this weekend - the editors agree that the new "Metro look" just doesn't make any sense on the desktop PC. And the "Start" bar is gone, mostly.

That's merely the "Metro" look. Which is supposed to be BOTH on the desktop AND the tablet PC.

Well, on the tablet PC it makes sense and it works very well (according to the magazine's editors) - but not on the desktop PC.

If Microsoft insists on that, it will break their neck, sales-wise.

Is there anything else besides Metro that might have a chance of interesting desktop users?

Not much, I read. THe enhancements over Win7 are only ... more or less minor, I have read. At least nothing really outstanding, although some things do change there.

A big kick in the arse for the .NET-Team.

If you are going native use C++, Delphi or even VB6 (yes - it is supported for the lifetime of Windows 8 again).

For the rest you have to use Javascript and HTML5.

Silverlight is dead.

- I never liked .NET :)

Huh, what? .NET puts bread on my table! :) Too many mission-critical applications rely on .NET, they're not gonna trash that. Every TechDays event is still 90% .NET talks.

P.S. .NET is pretty cool, actually. I can't understand why you don't like it, unless you're nostalgic and/or masochistic and/or need to be close to the metal for some reason. :)

Nostalgic - yes - I'm a programmer since the age of 13 - 1981 to 2012 that are 31 years now.
Masochistic - yes - I'm still programming in Assembler sometimes ;)
Close to the metal - yes again - My programs are processing lots of data - I need all the speed I can get.

C# is a language with a lot of features - what I don't like:

Big Runtime - I like programs that can be run from a 1.44 MB Disk without installing anything
Slow Start
Medium Speed - no native code
C-Like Syntax
Garbage Collection kicks in at random time
No Protection C# programs can be dissassembled in a heartbeat

I like Java a bit more. .Net is more or less the same for me, but different. ;)
Personally, I found Java to be a bit easier to learn - *much* more easier than C++ anyway … ;)

But I'm too long out of programming now. I'd need a course to get into it again. And I was never much active anyway …

The Garbage Collection is imho curse and blessing at the same time. Blessing, because you doN't need to take care of every detail (of course objects still need to be "un-allocated") - curse, because no-one knows when it is doing its job. ;)

Okay, fair enough. The right tool for the right job and everything. :) The rest is down to personal taste. One cannot however deny that it's much easier to work with than for example… assembly. ;) Or more reasonably, C or C++ or even Java. The framework is pretty solid and, like you said, the language has pretty much every feature you'd want from a modern, object-oriented programming language (well, except multiple inheritance).

Back
Top Bottom