What games are you playing now?

I actually just finished 2 games in a row which is amazing for me I don't usually finish games.

DXHR- Good game, liked the stealth and cover shooting. Didn't really notice a whole lot of c&c. Would like to give it another go and play non-lethal but not sure I'll have the time.

Batman Arkham Asylum- Not a batman fan at all but my brother recommended it because of the stealth mechanics. Dare I say I enjoyed it at least as much as dxhr and maybe more. I though the atmosphere and voice acting were great, the story was solid and who doesn't want to stick it to the joker. I will be getting Arkham City for sure. The pc controls took some getting used to and the few areas where you couldn't control the camera were frustrating. They reused a lot of assets but I never found myself getting bored.

I was wondering what game to play before skyrim and this thread has answered it. DMoMM. I've wanted to finish this 1 for a while. How long is it? I figure I can get in 15 hours of gaming by the 11th. Will that be enough time?

I remember lots of bad reviews, and some pretty outspoken stinkers.

You can find examples of negative reviews for just about any game, but that doesn't mean it received more than an average amount of flack. DMoMM had far more positive reviews than negative ones.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark-messiah-of-might-and-magic/critic-reviews

I was wondering what game to play before skyrim and this thread has answered it. DMoMM. I've wanted to finish this 1 for a while. How long is it? I figure I can get in 15 hours of gaming by the 11th. Will that be enough time?

It's been awhile since I played through DMoMM, but I'm fairly confident you could finish it in around 15 hours or less.

You can find examples of negative reviews for just about any game, but that doesn't mean it received more than an average amount of flack. DMoMM had far more positive reviews than negative ones.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dark-messiah-of-might-and-magic/critic-reviews

And then there is this ...

I have to say that I find it interesting that whenever I see game discussions here I almost NEVER see a reference to a review actually done on the site ... no idea what that means.

The game was quite short, which was another problem I had with it. For some reason, I'm pretty good with remembering the amount of hours I spend on a game - where as I suck completely at what the story was ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I completed it in 8-9 hours tops - and I didn't rush it.

And then there is this

I have to say that I find it interesting that whenever I see game discussions here I almost NEVER see a reference to a review actually done on the site … no idea what that means.

I guess it simply means that we need a forum section where all of the reviews are listed in ? (Read-only, of course), so that people can actually see them while browsing through the forums ?

The Watch basically cinsists in my point of view of 2 things :

- the News
- the Discussions

There are the reviews, yes, but that don't have extra forum entries and thus get overlooked much easier, I think.

And then there is this

I have to say that I find it interesting that whenever I see game discussions here I almost NEVER see a reference to a review actually done on the site … no idea what that means.

People enjoy reading them at the time their published, but they are few and far between. So it's not like everyone is going to remember that we did a review for *insert game* when we only do a select few games.

They've helped me a few times make a decision to buy a game or not, but after that I forget about them like anyone else would. Why would we need to remember what reviews from the past we have done? :p

I remember reading that review of yours, but until you mentioned it I would have completely forgotten.

Plus, what Alrik said :)

I guess it is just me then ... still fondly recall PJs Witcher 'book review' and generally check for review s when a topic comes up.

no i feel the same way about watch reviews as well, though i will agree they are to scarce and it would be nice like what Alrik said if there was a more direct path to them. i've always felt the main page display doesn't do just for the quality articles that the staff produces

It's been awhile since I played through DMoMM, but I'm fairly confident you could finish it in around 15 hours or less.

I depends on oyur play style. Certainly within 15 hours if you try to rush through it as fast as possible. Especially if you play a careless sword and shield hack and slasher.

On the other hand, if you play a careful sneak, or mage, or archer or want to find every secret, you could easily double it to 30 hours.

Of course, if you cheat with a walkthrough, all bets are off. ;)

Last edited:
And then there is this

Sorry, txa, but I didn't agree with your overall conclusion / rating and "one-dimensional combat" summary. It looks like you were expecting an open world ala MM and a good story, and something more than an action game.

no i feel the same way about watch reviews as well, though i will agree they are to scarce and it would be nice like what Alrik said if there was a more direct path to them. i've always felt the main page display doesn't do just for the quality articles that the staff produces

I have to agree with this. You've got to go to the game database first (which throws people off for some reason), and then the reviews. Once you know, it's OK. But I bet most people miss it somehow.

A bigger question is why metacritic doesn't cite any of RPGWatch's reviews? They appear to only cite commercial for profit sites. Imagine that... So much for being objective.

Has anyone informed Metacritic about the existence of RPGwatch?

Anyway, as Xenoblade is getting a bit too repetitive, I've decided to start playing Elven Legacy: Ranger (the first expansion for Elven legacy).

Sorry, txa, but I didn't agree with your overall conclusion / rating and "one-dimensional combat" summary. It looks like you were expecting an open world ala MM and a good story, and something more than an action game.

Considering the lineage I ascribe - Half-Life 2 (shooter), Arx Fatalis (RPG, same developer), and Blade of Darkness (action-fantasy), I WAS expecting an action game … just one that didn't suck. Misogyny, horrific characters, and some of the worst balancing I have ever experienced, along with a 'Jedi weapon' problem of proportions never seen in a major game …

(edit) Also, time mellows expectations ...

Considering the lineage I ascribe - Half-Life 2 (shooter), Arx Fatalis (RPG, same developer), and Blade of Darkness (action-fantasy), I WAS expecting an action game … just one that didn't suck. Misogyny, horrific characters, and some of the worst balancing I have ever experienced, along with a 'Jedi weapon' problem of proportions never seen in a major game …

(edit) Also, time mellows expectations …

Clearly you didn't use the almighty kick enough.

Clearly you didn't use the almighty kick enough.

Wait ... you could KICK things in DMoMM?!?! Jeez, they must have added that after the worst-in-Steam-history launch ... :(

Misogyny, horrific characters, and some of the worst balancing I have ever experienced, along with a 'Jedi weapon' problem of proportions never seen in a major game
Hmmm. Well these points weren't in your PROs / CONs list. Not sure I see the misogyny, point either. Nor the balance and Jedi weapon issues. So far the mage was a little harder than the warrior approach, though in some battles he was easier. The orc leader battle was tough for both. Not sure about the other boss fights with a warrior build. We'll see.

The female characters WERE idiotic, as was the story, but I didn't let that get in the way of gameplay. The characters certainly didn't "horrify" me. ;)

For me the gameplay is most important, all the other stuff is fluff, but nice fluff.

Halfway through Red Faction Armageddon. Consoleified feel to it but it has pretty graphics (even if most of it is in tunnels they are damn nice tunnels) and the gravity gun is so much fun I rarely use anything else to kill with. Hurling half a building at an enemy (or vice versa) is about as much fun as smashing everything in sight with the hammer in Red Faction Guerrilla - ie. lots.

Also playing the Godfather game from 2006. Typical GTA clone but am having some fun building up my empire now I've managed to suss the controls (which are a bit fiddly).

Hmmm. Well these points weren't in your PROs / CONs list.

Oh I forgot ... it is hard to get anyone past the score to read even the pros and cons, let alone the actual text of a review ... I should be happy you got that far ...

Not sure I see the misogyny, point either.
First city, you have to meet someone - look for the girl with the biggest boobs. And so on. The entire thing was written with the mentality of a 12-year old boy. Of course, that is pretty standard in gaming ... but this was worse than many.

Nor the balance and Jedi weapon issues.

The 'Jedi Weapon' issue is something I have talked about many times in reviews - when you get it, it is like having a lightsaber in that it obviates the need for most everything else. Sort of like how in Soldier of Fortune 2 the shotgun is the most massively over-powered weapon, or in Half-Life 2 the pistol is so imbalanced it is the second most useful weapon to the Gimmick Gun ... in DMoMM kicking is massively, egregiously out of whack with reality.

Have to agree that the kicking is overpowered. Fair enough. But just don't use it. I like to replay sections with and without kicking to try different approaches. It's far from being "one-dimensional" combat, there are MANY different ways to defeat your enemies, which to me is the game's greatest appealing feature.

Big boobs on NPCs isn't misogyny, it's sexist. Big boobs usually turn off misogynists. But as we know, big boobs sell. ;)

Back
Top Bottom