Pompolic: Call of Heroes - Demo Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
At first glance the game reminded me lot of Heretic II. It has green and blue mana, then some weapons that use it, some spells and items as well to help you on your journey. Some pestering annoyances troubled me while playing it however.

The basic melee combat kind of lacked options at least with the weapons available in the demo. That means no blocking, parrying or dodging, just you and enemy in a whack-a-mole style. In an action packed game like this option to hit multiple enemies would have been handy. When you catch the same weapon twice, it gives an upgrade. For example once you upgrade the axe (2nd weapon), you can throw axes at enemies. I guess it's one way to create character advancement, but it still leaves me baffled why I couldn't throw axes in the first place.

Weapons that use mana, use it even when you swing in empty air. Crosshair would have been nice help with aiming projectiles like throwing axes or ice balls.

Unfortunately the enemies keep constantly spawning though items seem to spawn as well. I'm not really sure if this is just feature in the demo version, but after playing through the demo level I'm guessing it's intentionally designed feature. Personally I hate enemies just spawn out of nowhere with no reason, it looks totally artificial and makes no sense ingame. It becomes even more annoying when you have no mission objectives and need to explore the place to find switches to open doors and such.

On the other hand, Pompolic has enough challenge with hardest difficulty, time limit and constant barrage of enemies. In the demo there wasn't any kind of save options, so if you die, you die permanently unless you have consumable respawn items. While playing, I was thinking Vogel's words how cRPGs have to start on the grass level everytime. I think this demo as well could have been lot better if it had shown more stuff what the player has available later in the game though I'm not sure if that would have helped with the whack-a-mole melee combat.

Thanks a lot for your insights on the demo, even though I fear I won't be trying out this game. There are just way too many snags, it sounds.

Unfortunately the enemies keep constantly spawning though items seem to spawn as well. I'm not really sure if this is just feature in the demo version, but after playing through the demo level I'm guessing it's intentionally designed feature. Personally I hate enemies just spawn out of nowhere with no reason, it looks totally artificial and makes no sense ingame. It becomes even more annoying when you have no mission objectives and need to explore the place to find switches to open doors and such.

As I observed, enemies will only spawn when you've grabbed certain objects (mostly is the Dark Souls) or visited certain places.

I have just tried this (annoying, imo) demo. And the reason its annoying, you ask?
For some odd reason, you can't save between levels, but the game will save at levels's end. For some odd reason, you need mana to attack the monsters, which, imo, is very annoying, since there never seems to be enough mana potions around. Each action costs mana, apparently. I could be fine with this, if the game didn't feel like a platform game, where you need to run around picking up things, jumping up & down to get to healing & mana potions etc. The botton line - is that this game definitely is not for me, but maybe other will enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom