Good Old Games - Thief Gold Now Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Thief Gold has been released on GOG for $9.99:
Garrett, the main protagonist in Thief trilogy, is one of the gaming’s most appealing hidden anti-heroes. Sure, he’s a thief (and a killer!), but he makes it up with sarcasm, intelligence, and rougish appeal. Thief’s surprisingly elaborate storyline throws Garret between a rock and a hard place where he needs to restore the political and magical balance of the city by using silence, stealth, and thievish skills as a weapon. The chaotic Pagans and technological Hammerites are preparing to tear the city apart in their battles with each other, and it seems that only a little judicious theft can keep these titani forces from clashing. No matter who's the employer and who's the victim, he plans to stay neutral and is always upholding his beliefs with a simple key principle: always get the loot.
...and Rock, Paper, Shotgun has an article on installing it and a widescreen mod, fixing the non-working videos and so on.
More information.

One of my most favorite games ever!

I remember the Good Old Days when Good Old Games released stuff that was priced at a point that made them an easy impulse buy ... Deus Ex at 2x what it is priced at 50% of the year everywhere else, and now this at $10 ... now it is just like Steam, just wait for the inevitable sale.

I suppose publishers have now realised that there is actually a market for these old games and are testing the waters, price-wise...

Quite tempted, anyway. Great game, but i never played far into it at the time. Was however surprised to see it in the news here - is thief considered a CRPG?

I shouldn't think it qualifies as a CRPG for most people. There's no character development, no character creation, no C&C, and no real dialogue.

Not that I think it's important and I think it's very relevant to most RPG fans.

I remember the Good Old Days when Good Old Games released stuff that was priced at a point that made them an easy impulse buy … Deus Ex at 2x what it is priced at 50% of the year everywhere else, and now this at $10 … now it is just like Steam, just wait for the inevitable sale.

Except this isn't available anywhere else unlike Deus Ex. It's easily worth the $10 they're asking to fans who want a quick hassle-free installation on modern systems.

I remember the Good Old Days when Good Old Games released stuff that was priced at a point that made them an easy impulse buy … Deus Ex at 2x what it is priced at 50% of the year everywhere else, and now this at $10 … now it is just like Steam, just wait for the inevitable sale.

I think both Deus Ex and Thief are well worth $9.99 each, and I trust GOG titles to be compatible with modern systems (which is not always the case with Gamersgate, Steam et al). The game I played most last year was Might & Magic 7 (at least I think it was more than the 158 hours I've played Skyrim), bought for only $5.99 at GOG.

Some of the games they release are way over priced though, such as The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour. There is no way that they are worth $10.

Except this isn't available anywhere else unlike Deus Ex. It's easily worth the $10 they're asking to fans who want a quick hassle-free installation on modern systems.

You're right ... guess I am bitter about Deus Ex ... ;)

I think both Deus Ex and Thief are well worth $9.99 each,

Whether they are 'worth it' or not is irrelevant ... like I said, Deus Ex from Steam, etc run fine - and charge $9.99 regularly but $5 pretty much every other week.

I shouldn't think it qualifies as a CRPG for most people. There's no character development, no character creation, no C&C, and no real dialogue.
Yup.

Not that I think it's important and I think it's very relevant to most RPG fans.
Yup.

It's one of those games that aren't RPGs but are, nevertheless, of appeal to RPG fans because it contains elements that are so very vital to classic RPGs: freedom of playstyle and (limited, I grant you) exploration.

I suppose publishers have now realised that there is actually a market for these old games and are testing the waters, price-wise…

Quite tempted, anyway. Great game, but i never played far into it at the time. Was however surprised to see it in the news here - is thief considered a CRPG?

Not, not at all - but a lot of CRPG fans also carry a torch for Looking Glass Studios and if you like playing thieves/sneaky characters - as I do - this pretty much invented the idea of the immersive, 1st-person sneaker genre.

Not, not at all - but a lot of CRPG fans also carry a torch for Looking Glass Studios and if you like playing thieves/sneaky characters - as I do - this pretty much invented the idea of the immersive, 1st-person sneaker genre.

My wife's sister & husband gave me Thief when it came out for birthday or Christmas and I was totally surprised - was more of a shooter guy at the time, but fell in love with this one! But like JDR says, getting it installed on a modern machine ...

I certainly appreciate the heads-up!

Back
Top Bottom