RPGWatch Feature - Driftmoon Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Within a day Driftmoon will be available for purchase. If you are wondering if this is a game for you, check out Corwin's review of Driftmoon based on the latest beta.
The first thing to stress is that this is definitely a mixture of two gaming genres; adventure and rpg. While different from and not as complex as the old QFG series, it does contain many of the same elements. First of all, it's supposed to be a light-hearted and fun game which doesn't take itself too seriously. In some ways it reminds me of the excellent Frayed Knights which successfully adopted the same tone. Consider, how often have you faced the pizza cutter of DOOM while playing your standard rpg? That's not to imply that the game is in any way silly, it's definitely not. Underneath all the humour lies a serious and complex game.
More information.

The internal game clock is not accurate, but I would suspect somewhere in the area of about 30 hours, maybe a little less.

I played the demo; and while I thought it was very well done - i kind of felt it was targeted at young-mid teenager (12-15); i.e, I didn't think it was quite adult enough for myself. Question is does the full game retain this feeling or does it become a bit more sophisticated as it progress ? (when I talk about age range I'm not really talking about subject matter or violence level but the general 'feeling' or presentation of the game)

Once again a very well done review Corwin. I think you saying you were disappointed when it was finished is the overall best single recommendation you can give a game.

I'm going to try the demo and see if I can live with the top-down angle.

I played the demo; and while I thought it was very well done - i kind of felt it was targeted at young-mid teenager (12-15); i.e, I didn't think it was quite adult enough for myself. Question is does the full game retain this feeling or does it become a bit more sophisticated as it progress ? (when I talk about age range I'm not really talking about subject matter or violence level but the general 'feeling' or presentation of the game)

I'm beyond the demo, but still think the game is aimed at young players. I keep feeling that the developers must have some young kids that they built the game for and decided to release to everyone else to see if it would earn a little money. Nothing wrong with that, but the game needs some serious maturing and fleshing out to be a real crpg. Hopefully some modders will make a more serious game with the engine. That's the best hope, honestly.

Edit: Nope that sounds harsh. This is a decent first attempt. It is not mature and it is not dark. It is simple in many ways but is probably worth the asking price, especially if you're in Europe. The US conversion ratio makes it slightly overpriced here in the States.

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of mature, dark and gritty games!! Once in awhile I enjoy having a little lighthearted fun when I play a game. The real world is dark and gritty enough for me!!

I can't disagree with that, Corwin. I'd like more depth in the game systems of Driftmoon, but I don't really mind the relative innocence of the plot.

Well, I just finished my second playthrough of Dishonored. Went for the dark ending this time and killed basically everyone that crossed my path. After that I could use a light and fun game right about now.

Puzzles are quite good and varied without being a case of read the dev's mind. I enjoyed them.

I'm glad to see more of these lighthearted and colorful RPGs coming up. I'm so tired of grimdark and characters smoldering with generic rage.

This looks like the perfect time killer for spring/summer holidays!

Just played the demo, and I am planning on getting the full version. It might not be hardcore, but was still fun. I have been playing a JRPG on the PS3, Ni No Kuni, which is also not very dark and gritty.

Not trying to disagree with the review here, but just giving my opinion for the record of the general audience -- I also felt that the game is mostly aimed at the childish audience (and to be fair, did a great job at that). I almost felt that not only it was made for children, but it's almost like it was made in collaboration with children lol. "Ooh, daddy, can we make our friend disappear in the past now?". "Sure, baby, WHY NOT".

IMHO - absolutely linear game, cringing dialogs, and uninspired plot. If I had a kid, I'm sure we'd have a blast with Driftmoon though. Otherwise -- all the time I played the game I kept feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Just my two cents. Don't hit me with sticks now.

Not trying to disagree with the review here, but just giving my opinion for the record of the general audience — I also felt that the game is mostly aimed at the childish audience (and to be fair, did a great job at that). I almost felt that not only it was made for children, but it's almost like it was made in collaboration with children lol. "Ooh, daddy, can we make our friend disappear in the past now?". "Sure, baby, WHY NOT".

IMHO - absolutely linear game, cringing dialogs, and uninspired plot. If I had a kid, I'm sure we'd have a blast with Driftmoon though. Otherwise — all the time I played the game I kept feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Just my two cents. Don't hit me with sticks now.

I tend to agree with you, I would love to play this game with my nephew but the demo just didn't hold me on its own, and wasn't too fond of the overhead/slight angle view, but it seemed to be a well made game for what it is.

I bought the full game in the hopes that it might improve, but it stays very simple for as much of the game as I could tolerate. If there is ever a Driftmoon 2, the developers will need to grow up a little. I felt like I was playing Barney-the crpg. This is a free facebook game level of complexity all the way around. Again, it would be great for little kids, say preteen and under.

Not to be too harsh tho, people like this need to be encouraged. Maybe they'll make a grim post-apocalyptic genocide simulator next time.

Wait till you guys reach your second childhood!! :) I'm already well into my third!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom