NWN Vault - Shutdown?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Sadly the NWN Vault might have been shutdown. No reasons were given but according to this NWN forum post it may have something to do with Atari. The good news is there is a new home at neverwintervault.org.

I first knew we were in trouble when Maximus accepted my offer to help with what sounded almost like relief.

Couldn't be. I just have a vivid imagination.Then we started having probs with email. And with the Hall of Fame. And…Well.

I floated the idea of a vault backup, well, a long time ago. Fire extinguisher, sprinklers. Maybe even a safe place to put the files.Last October I was seriously frightened by the things I saw and didn't see, the things everyone heard and the things only I heard.

A few other people started talking to me and helping out. And the vault got worse. I'm starting to pontificate. Not my intention.Pain & Tarot, Werelynx & Henesua. Others. A lot of people have been working hard over the last two months saving stuff.

We have archive of all the project files through last Sunday. We have copies of the meta data and copies of the download counts and award tags and at least the first page of comments.

We have archives of most of the articles and tutorials. We even have the surviving "top ten" lists (some of which even feature a certain old wizard from 2001 ;-)

The library may be burning, but the books are safe. Not everything works right. But the new place is starting to come together. I rather like it here.And, given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a crazy old wizard and his smart-beaked bird work here =)
In the mean time anybody who can help with restoring the files, or help the new site please do.

I think we who have been working over there, now that the shoe has seemed to drop, are going to be needing a lot of expertise from the entire community. This is not something one person can handle, this is the community itself which needs to come together to survive this.

But also a lot of us tend to just roll up our sleeves and just get to work, and do the best we can with what we have.

If you poke over there and notice something that needs doing, which you think you can do, we'd be more than happy to have you join us, even if you only do a small task. Actually just poking your head in, registering, and making a forum post stating who you are is quite helpful too.

Right now I am focusing on getting thru the crisis, hoping our backups are valid, that nothing is lost, and how to move things back. I do have some processing of files ( download and process the Sha1 ) which just needs you to have bandwidth and being able to leave your computer on - i am on #nwn2cr and you can friend/PM me if you think you can help.
More information.

Last edited:
That is really low. Shutting down fan generated content.

If it's Atari and its creditors fault that would explain the rudeness and lack of consideration for the community. Apparently there is IP on the vault (like the NWN logo, for example), that they want to auction off. Hard to get a good price for something that is freely available elsewhere. :/

There were a few more community modules I still wanted to play. One of my favorite CRPG experiences was was one of the community modules. Sad.

Last edited:
The EULA stated that anything created with the toolset became the property of the developers. Bio sometimes dipped into that pool for a lot of things including bugfixes. Most people took it as a tribute even without a payment.

Yeah the EULA was/is pretty draconian, yet they allowed user mods to be shared freely up to this point. Now that the creditors want to milk "everything Atari" for bucks, this may change.

Apparently there is IP on the vault (like the NWN logo, for example), that they want to auction off.

Atari do not own the logo as that is covered by trademark, and is owned by WOTC.

USPTO said:
Word Mark NEVERWINTER NIGHTS..
Serial Number 85031397..
Owner (REGISTRANT) WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ..
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

They do however own the copyright.
Type of Work: Computer File
Registration Number / Date: PA0001098299 / 2002-07-19
Title: Neverwinter nights.
Notes: PC version (interactive audiovisual work)
Cataloged from appl.
Copyright Claimant: Infogrames Interactive, Inc.
Date of Creation: 2002
Date of Publication: 2002-06-18

Note: Infogrames == nuAtari. That is likely the same basic reason why they can block BGEE, altering existing content requires additional permissions from not just the IP owner because you may be altering (or in the Vault/ mods case using) stuff that is not covered by the 'IP' itself.

To be correct, the rights belong to Infogrames Interactive = former Hasbro Interactive, now Atari Interactive and true owner of the Atari namerights, I guess now a subsidiary of Atari, Inc.

The auction is about Atari, Inc. = former GT Interactive

That one is also seperated from Atari SA = former Infogrames Entertainment SA, the original Fench Infogrames. Maybe you've heard from the IP transactions of Outcast, Silver and Desperados? These IPs belonged to Atari SA and not to Atari, Inc.

Sounds complicated? Yes, it is!

Last edited:
Would any of you guys by chance have Tonyk's AI mod readily available? It's small enough to allow for a simple email. Dorna's really pissing me off in my SoU playthrough.

Someone posted this solution to the problem.
The DNS is deleted. Perhaps temporary, you can add this line to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to see the nwvault. The site is not deleted!

69.10.25.55 nwvault.ign.com
It works.:spotlight-right::party::spotlight-left:

Yahoo! Thanks again Couch!

In the process of downloading every mod I could possibly want - all these issues can't be a good omen.

Awesome! yeah, I'm going to go an download anything that looks even remotely interesting. I've got an extra 1Tb drive laying around.

if it still works for you please check out my "Girl in Ill Humour" mod (and if time permitting along with anything else "Lucky Day" related - some of its terrible admittedly :) )

Anyone that's wants some tips or walkthru on the mod I am willing to provide it.

It is but remember DNS removal usually means the site is marked for death or is being migrated to a new server. The admin recommends using the new site I posted the link. It will be Vault 2.0. The old IGN vault days are numbered.

Back
Top Bottom