DA:O DLC items - up for grabs?

Dragon Age: Origins

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
I dont know about you, but I just got an email saying that if I bought the game before Nov30 i get "the Edge", a pretty sweet dagger. Is this for me, or for people who buy the game right now? You can look at it either way…

Soooo, i hit the Bio-boards and was looking around, and I found this thread, people in the same boat as I - wondering if this is indeed a little something extra for me or not. Turns out it may be, I think.

In any case, ive been able to download the Edge manually, and use daupdate to manually install the thing, and it's loaded up on my Rogue. Pic below, look at that thing compared to Thorn of the Dead Gods. Woah!

Now from what people are saying in that thread, you can dl a lot of those other ones and go to town (go down to 4.1), manually installing them w/ daupdate. These are on Bioware's forums, they havent said a word about it one way or another.

Attachments

• the_edge.jpg
    the_edge.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
Depend on your DA edition, most of those listed DLCs are usable in game. On my standard DA version, the Collector's edition items such as Bergen's Honor, Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes, Final Reason were marked as "unauthorised" in the downloaded tab and they won't run without your account matching to your registered game.

The following DLCs work on my standard version:
——————————————————————————————
-the edge
-amulet of the war mage
-the lion's paw
-the lucky stone
-helm of the deep
-embril's may pocket
-the wicked oath
-mark of the vigilante
- and others like stone prisoner already in standard version

The non workable ones:
————————————————
-the guildmaster's belt
-band of fire
-dalish promise ring
-collector's editions DLCs

I have the stanadard version (the cheapeast anyway) but guildmaster's belt works since i got the code via pre order promotion.

I had pre-ordered my game, and I'd registered the day I got the game (was already a member at Bioware anyway), but the only e-mail I got, was a promotional thingie for ME2…. :raincloud: :lonely:

Where do these items appear in the game?

*Edit* Even the Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep are there? That kind of pisses me off considering I paid $7 to download Warden's Keep from Bioware.

Last edited:
yeah, well whether it works or not is a different story. I'm only using the Edge and destroying the Lion's Paw boots that I activated, since I feel bad enough about the dagger already. Think about it before you do the dls, you may be going down a road that you may regret depending on how you feel about cheating.

Twisted sense of purist "rpg geek honor" has me feeling kinda mixed about this whole damn DLC thing in general. The Edge kinda ruined my excitement and anticipation of better loot in the immediate future, and that's part of the fun of playing rpgs imho. That's the carrot dangling on the stick. Also I feel like I'm cheating in a way, i didnt earn the dagger. I didnt earn the bonus stat points that the Grimoire of Frozen Wastes gave me. This stuff just magically appeared in my inventory one day. It would be different if there was a quest attached or something, and also if it didnt make such a marked improvment on my game as the Edge is.

*Edit* Even the Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep are there? That kind of pisses me off considering I paid $7 to download Warden's Keep from Bioware.
From what I read, you can download and install the Keep to your heart's content. If you want to actually activate it, though, you have to activate it on your account.

I think I'll stay away from all those other things. I'm guessing they are pre-order items that you get by pre-ordering from different stores and you're really only meant to get one or two of them. Having them all would likely unbalance things a bit. I worry about EA adding some check later on, too, that will strip you of pre-order items if you have more than one. I'll save my game right before fighting a dragon, load up the game the next day, and OOOPS! Has anybody got a spare dagger I could use?

Twisted sense of purist "rpg geek honor" has me feeling kinda mixed about this whole damn DLC thing in general. The Edge kinda ruined my excitement and anticipation of better loot in the immediate future, and that's part of the fun of playing rpgs imho. That's the carrot dangling on the stick. Also I feel like I'm cheating in a way, i didnt earn the dagger. I didnt earn the bonus stat points that the Grimoire of Frozen Wastes gave me. This stuff just magically appeared in my inventory one day. It would be different if there was a quest attached or something, and also if it didnt make such a marked improvment on my game as the Edge is.

Are these items really that powerful? I know exactly what you mean about the "honor" thing Sammy, I'm the same way.

I'm glad you brought that up actually, I think I'm gonna stay away from these. :)

From what Ive seen theyre not that powerful, maybe early on. When the rubber hit the road, the game's pretty difficult, and a few items here or there w/ good stats arent gonna send you sailing thru 20 enemies by any means. Theyre just loot handed to you tho, takes all the surprise out of scoring them, kinda kills the spirit of "fair play" in a way. You pay for loot, basically, might as well be handing a chinese gold merchant 20 bucks so you can get something you cant afford in game from a merchant.

Hmmm, the loot sucks so bad in this game that maybe you could reward yourself with some appropriate gear after major quests. I did the mage circle major quest and got nothing. I'm thinking that this is par for the course in this game. You save everyone and it just costs you money and you never get anything in return. It's my only gripe with the game. Mages, especially, get robbed when it comes to gear. There's just nothing out there except a few nice items held by merchants for prices that I"ll never be able to afford.

It would be cool if you actually had to do something to obtain the items. The fact that they just magically appear in your inventory is what makes it lame…

Well i got the CE, that include The Blood Dragon Armor. At this point I think I that are 60-70% through the game and are level 14, and I am yet to see an Armor that is even close to this in power. The other items i got from the CE, is just minor trinkets that get replaced sooner or later.

Edit: Just checkt my Hero Accomplishments, and it say that im only 31% through the game, currented I have played fore 47 Hours... And I was afraid it was over soon..

Edit: Just checkt my Hero Accomplishments, and it say that im only 31% through the game, currented I have played fore 47 Hours… And I was afraid it was over soon..
Was thinking the same once, until I noticed that it's "game completed across all characters". I don't know how they count it, maybe by the amount of total achievements you unlocked? At the end of my game I had about 50% completed. Took me 87 hours — no idea how that is counted either. I did spend a lot of time reading the Codex and listening to every conversation without skipping, but I also had the game minimized very often to do some browsing etc., I think that's included.

I agree with Sammy regarding free items. Never liked them in collector's editions, Drakensang only had one item IIRC (that could be unlocked in the normal game too), but even that felt out of place.

Are these items really that powerful?

Some are, some aren't. The Blood Dragon armor is probably the 2nd best massive armor I've found so far. The Edge Dagger is probably the best dagger in the game, even more powerful than the one you can buy from Orzammar for 140 gold.

Well i got the CE, that include The Blood Dragon Armor. At this point I think I that are 60-70% through the game and are level 14, and I am yet to see an Armor that is even close to this in power. The other items i got from the CE, is just minor trinkets that get replaced sooner or later.

Edit: Just checkt my Hero Accomplishments, and it say that im only 31% through the game, currented I have played fore 47 Hours… And I was afraid it was over soon..

Heh - I was going to say: how come I'm also level 14, and have played around 80 hours, but according to accomplishments I've only done 20% of the game yet... :p

Back
Top Bottom