X: Rebirth

Also, shield your eyes (care of Zenicetus at RPS)

zgg3.jpg

Wut? O_O

And the weirdest thing about that space granny in the skin tight suit is that if she turns her head those glasses/visors many of them wear will temorarily sink into their skull before floating back into position.

I certainly did.

If this is ever brought to a decent state, it will take months and months.

However, you need to open your eyes to realise that.

That said, it DOES have some potential.

The first game I thought of while playing it was Battlecruiser 3000AD - which I bought on release day.

You can take that for what it's worth ;)

Is that still the case? I looked it up on Steam after my friends all bought X3 for 10 € in the last Steam Autumn Sale. It really looks awesome in the trailers. And then I heard the first screams "Don't do it! Don't buy this game! It is a lag fest!!!". Is it really still that bad? Too bad I missed the 10€ offer for X3 - Albion Prelude. I hope they will reoffer it during christmas sale... fingers crossed!

It definitely has serious issues but they are definitely working hard on fixing them, too. You can follow the patch notes on Steam. I expect the game will need a few months before I'll really want to buy it.

Albion Prelude is just an expansion. You probably want to buy the War Pack if you want to get the expansion right off the bat but, honestly, there are a few hundred hours just in X3:Terran Conflict alone. I would just buy that then get the expansion if you are really enjoying the game. It's NOT a game for everyone!

It definitely has serious issues but they are definitely working hard on fixing them, too. You can follow the patch notes on Steam. I expect the game will need a few months before I'll really want to buy it.

Albion Prelude is just an expansion. You probably want to buy the War Pack if you want to get the expansion right off the bat but, honestly, there are a few hundred hours just in X3:Terran Conflict alone. I would just buy that then get the expansion if you are really enjoying the game. It's NOT a game for everyone!

kk thank you! You are right. I will start with the vanilla game (Terran Conflict). And I will keep an eye on the patch notes and community comments for Rebirth. Thank you!

Is that still the case? I looked it up on Steam after my friends all bought X3 for 10 € in the last Steam Autumn Sale. It really looks awesome in the trailers. And then I heard the first screams "Don't do it! Don't buy this game! It is a lag fest!!!". Is it really still that bad? Too bad I missed the 10€ offer for X3 - Albion Prelude. I hope they will reoffer it during christmas sale… fingers crossed!

It's extremely bad, unfortunately. I can understand some people being in denial about it, though, because it's so bad that you couldn't reasonably predict this state - even from EgoSoft.

Thread Necro time everyone. :cool:

Seems Egosoft has released patch version 2.0 for X: Rebirth.
X Rebirth 2.0 - Secret Service Missions now available

Egosoft is extremely pleased to finally announce the release of X Rebirth 2.0 - Secret Service Missions. After considerable effort and with an eye to all the great feedback we've received, X Rebirth 2.0 represents a major update for a wide variety of gameplay mechanics.

New Feature: Three new gamestarts, each with a new cockpit configuration.
New Feature: Rebalanced combat with three difficulty settings.
New Feature: Additional commands for your ships.
New Feature: Autopilot can fly your ship while you are busy.
New Feature: All new highway flight model.
New Feature: Most tasks can now be performed without landing on stations.
New Feature: Full screen HUD detail monitor option.
New Feature: Clicks on event monitor now open relevant menus.
New Feature: Map/radar on event monitor.
New Feature: New ships in Omicron Lyrae.
New Feature: Huge new Xenon ship.
New Feature: Four new missile types.
New Feature: Improved graphics for an even more beautiful universe.
New Feature: New graphics options and presets.
New Feature: New start menu scene.
New Feature: New Steam achievements.
• Added support for up to 8 input devices (now even your pet octopus can get the most from the game).
• Added option to buy replacement player ship cockpit layout from certain traders.
• Added shield damage for collisions.
• Improved responsiveness of main menu and dialogs.
• Improved event monitor with more space for important information.
• Improved positioning of interface elements in first person mode.
• Improved production logic now skips products where the station has too much stock.
• Fixed gamepad mode switching on when axis has non-zero value while at rest.
• Fixed problem with wrecked state of ship/station surface elements not always being loaded from savegames correctly.
• Fixed collectable objects not showing a target element.
• Fixed gates not showing a target element.
• Fixed info points not being displayed at drone launch pads.
• Fixed cases where clicking on larger targets didn't work.
• Fixed rare instance of mission objective bar being stuck on screen.
• Fixed text field not being reset when closing and reopening trade menu.
• Fixed problems with overlapping/truncated text on first person event monitor.
• Fixed cases resulting in jumping target elements.
• Fixed incorrect text in certain conversations.
• Fixed icon size in licence encyclopedia entry.
• Fixed distance sorting in trade menu.
• Fixed capital ships becoming invisible when boosting while player is close.
• Fixed cases where build icons were displayed without a builder ship in the player squad.
• Fixed missing trade offers for architects with no money.
• Fixed rare case of missing target elements (usually build locations or player owned cap ships).
• Fixed cases where targeting objects using gamepad/joystick controls did not work correctly.
• Fixed trade restrictions menu getting stuck.
• Fixed several causes of occasional crashes.
• Various optimisations resulting in small performance improvements.
Link- http://steamcommunity.com/games/2870/announcements/detail/1387418590636426607

Can someone who has the game tell me if it's playable yet.;)

I got the press release as well ... I have held off so far, no plans unless I see a huge deal. Interested, but unless I hear amazing things I won't bite.

Word on Qt3 is that all the patching is pointless. Egosoft apparently forgot to include a game in their tech demo.

While it's still not the game I had hoped for, but if it had shipped like this I think I would have felt very differently about the game. It still has issues; the menus are still stupidly over-nested radial things but they are at least much more responsive and the info panels present more and better information than they used to. Performance, on my system at least, is far better - though it is still hit or miss from what I hear regardless of how much you exceed the specs by.

Alternative starts are nice, more open cockpits help a lot, the highways are far better now, updated shaders do improve the look of certain areas dramatically on ultra. I tried station construction and managment for a little bit and did not hit the brick-wall pathing issues that plagued stations in populated systems before (might just be early to tell). Many important interactions are availible without having to navigate the stations, station interiors seem less nausiating and movement in first person mode feels less bizarrely unnatural.

They have made a ton of improvements, though many of these things should have been fixed well before launch. If you disagreed with many of the core design decisions, that hasn't really changed. At least it looks like trading and station construction might be fixed to the point that you can play around with that a bit without it just halting entirely. Ship construction still seems... to have hangups which makes me think the economy is still extremely broken.

I don't really know how to feel about it at this point. I'm glad they fixed the things they fixed but I'm not looking forward to trying it again like I was looking forward to playing it before it launched. The modding community for it seems as though it has also dried up quite a bit so I'm not sure if there's much of any hope that mods can make some of the less fleshed out or less interesting bits more enjoyable. I wish it had at least been in this state when they launched it because even after these fixes after it's been so long, I still wish I hadn't bought it in the first place.

It's also 50% off on Steam for mid-week madness. The game is even a top seller right now!

I poked around in the Egosoft forums quite a bit and it sounds like the game is *headed* in the right direction but it isn't there yet. There's a bunch of economic stuff that needs quite a bit of work. However, it does sound like it's actually possible to have fun with the game as long as you don't stray into the broken features.

Game is still but a hollow shell.

With Elite Dangerous coming out this year and Star Citizen sometime in the future - this game is dead to me.

And Gemini 2.

How has Rebirth come along in the meanwhile? I see they're on patch 3.1 by now, and people seem to be saying it's getting to the state where it should've been released in.
Anyone else here still playing this (again)? Any impressions?

And Gemini 2.

Meh, I played around with it for a moment, but I didn't like the fact I could only save when docked at a planet — unless I missed something? Since I play for short stints usually, that is highly annoying.

I've been wondering, too. It's only version 2.51 now. I think if you buy by the end of this month, you get the upcoming expansion for free.

It does look like a lot more up votes are there now (and from people with a lot of hours). Maybe it's finally time…

Edit: Actually, the 3.0 expansion is coming out sometime in December and the expansion can be pre-ordered for free IF you own the game. So, if you get the game this month and pre-order you're safe for sure. If you wait later, the risk goes up as time goes on.

Amazon US has the game on sale for pretty cheap: http://smile.amazon.com/X-Rebirth-W...UTF8&qid=1417187039&sr=1-1&keywords=x+rebirth

Last edited:

That is pretty cheap, yes. How does that work with Amazon? Is this an actual physical disc they send you, do they give you a Steam key, ...? And if the first, is that even possible for me, since I am in Europe?

But, I'm considering holding off still. I just grabbed the war pack (X:TC + X:AP) for 10 euro on Steam, and I might try my hand at that instead.

Oh, if you haven't done X3:TC then that's probably what you want anyway. It's a super-deep game IF you've got the patience to go through it all. (Or you mod it. ;))

I finally started playing the game. It's... it's... well, I don't know what to think. There's a lot of stuff in here I shouldn't enjoy (like flying around stations to explore them) but... I do? I look forward to playing the game when I come home. I don't understand why but I do. It's like they snuck some addictive, subliminal messages into the game that convince me I'm having fun.

I can say that I despise the small talk mini-game. You're unlikely to lose so you end up just hearing the same few conversations over and over and over... who the Hades thought this was fun!?

Documentation is getting difficult, too. There have been a lot of changes since release but the manual in the box obviously isn't changing to match. I wonder if the online manual is updated?

I finally started playing the game. It's… it's… well, I don't know what to think. There's a lot of stuff in here I shouldn't enjoy (like flying around stations to explore them) but… I do? I look forward to playing the game when I come home. I don't understand why but I do. It's like they snuck some addictive, subliminal messages into the game that convince me I'm having fun.

I can say that I despise the small talk mini-game. You're unlikely to lose so you end up just hearing the same few conversations over and over and over… who the Hades thought this was fun!?

Documentation is getting difficult, too. There have been a lot of changes since release but the manual in the box obviously isn't changing to match. I wonder if the online manual is updated?

I think the manual is just outdated. There are some community created guides that are more robust than the manual ever was - and more up to date.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=347274078

Think they're still missing 3.5/teladi station info though.

Back
Top Bottom