Overlord - Demo Confusion

Word from Codies UK is that the US jumped the gun a bit. No demo yet. The Xbox 360 version will apparently now arrive before the PC one - in the next few days - and the US press release announcing its release today was sent in error.
I think this means XBox Demo comes earlier than PC demo.

Yep, the X360 demo is out ... and here is a snip from a thread at Qt3:

It seems very reminiscent of the Ratchet and Clank mini-bot levels, where you control your minions to access hard-to-reach places, swarm ranged attackers while you melee, etc...

I didn't feel as "evil" as I could have because of the twisted fantasy setting. The halflings in the demo are pretty damned evil themselves, taking over farms and making humans slaves. If they had literally been Hobbits and I got to plow through them like Sauron doing to the Alliance in the opening scene of the LotR movie, that would have been sweet. But you actually seem to be Lawful Evil to their Chaotic Evil. Not quite what I was expecting.

The graphics are quite nice, I especially liked the way the wheat ruffled while you walked through it. I also loved the way your fireballs set wheat fields on fire, to the accompaniment of screams of anguish from the halflings taking cover in there.

The only thing I found awkward is the control system. Pretty much every first and third person game has established the right stick as the camera control. Using it to guide ("sweep") the minions is off-putting. I'm sure I could adjust over time, but couldn't there be a better way? Perhaps there is, I didn't poke around for control modifications.

I'm not sure if the demo convinced me to buy the game, but it definitely didn't turn me off. I will wait for reviews, though.

Theoretically hypothetically PC Demo is also out. If you're trying to download it... well... good luck. :D

http://www.codemasters.fr/downloads/?getdownload=28805

(the demo is in english, if you can't read the display text, there is a flag in the upper right corner. Click to change to an english codemaster site)

Theoretically hypothetically PC Demo is also out. If you're trying to download it... well... good luck. :D

http://www.codemasters.fr/downloads/?getdownload=28805

(the demo is in english, if you can't read the display text, there is a flag in the upper right corner. Click to change to an english codemaster site)

Thanks for the link ... it required my 'Code M' login ... but none of the links ever ended up with me downloading a game demo ... oh well, patience I suppose ...

I've been through the demo a few times and I must say that I like what I see.

The whole Dungeon Keeper comparison is way off mark. Other than the fact that you're playing the bad guy instead of the good guys, Overlord is nothing like Dungeon Keeper. It is neither a RTS nor a RPG but it seems to be packed with quirky humor and I really like the look and style of the game ... well as much as one can based on a demo impression.:)

Back
Top Bottom