Worlds of Magic - A Classic 4X Fantasy Game

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Not an RPG so we probably won't follow it that much, but the Kickstarter for Worlds of Magic claims it follows the footsteps of MicroProse's Master of Magic and there should be some interest for such a game here.
Primary gameplay takes place on the world map. From there you can move your armies to explore new territory, defend key positions or attack your enemies. You can gain control of additional cities by conquering them or founding new ones yourself. You manage the cities under your control, building new buildings to improve them, dedicating your work force to one task or another, and creating new military units. Your armies can be made up of units you've trained, heroes and mercenaries you've hired, and even powerful summoned creatures. When two enemy armies collide gameplay is moved to the tactical battle map where combat is played out turn by turn. During gameplay you will also reasearch new spells, manage your economy, and deal with diplomatic situations all in an attempt to gain supreme control of the universe.
Worlds of Magic will not only seek to capture the charm of the timeless classic that serves as its inspiration, but also go beyond it in a number of areas.
  • 10 Leaders To Choose From (Or Create Your Own)
  • 6 Factions To Rule Over
  • 80 Units To Use In Battle
  • 12 Spell Circles
  • 300 Spells To Learn And Master
  • 7 Planes To Explore And Conquer
  • 45 Special Units (Heroes, Champions, and Titans)
Thanks Von Paulus and Mark.
More information.

They managed to make the game uglier than Fallen Enchantress. I dont know whether i should fund this game. :/

Sounds too ambitious for decent AI. No game is fun in this genre if it has an AI that cannot handle multiple planes etc. Warlock Master of the Arcane being a recent example and they clearly had more money to use.... Skeptical even though I love this genre.

Still waiting for the next "classic" in this genre. Warlock and Fallen Enchantress had aspects but weren't "it" (whatever that means...).

I have to say that based on the screenshots this game is unattractive - and don't see anything especially promising in this one.

Ugh... It looks like a tablet game.

Looks fine to me, they're only asking for 30k, at that price you could forgive them if it was built out of wood.

Sounds too ambitious for decent AI.
Wasteland interactive has already delivered games like Time of wrath and Time of fury, two war games set on a world map and with an AI able to handle many national armies simultaneously. Sure those games weren't perfect but they stood their ground and that must be taken into account for this 4X. I won't be over confident but I still keep reasonable hopes for it. Games in this genre aren't too many to reject such a project without further inquest. Just wait a little time. On the other hand the Kickstarter seems to be lagging from the start and I 'm not very optimistic about this funding campaign…

Man, you guys are harsh. :p

I don't think it looks bad for an indie game. And they have 6,500 of a 30,000 goal, with 26 days to go. I wouldn't dismiss their chances yet.

I posted this in the kickstarter forum a few days ago. I pledged and dont care about the graphics. It's an indie game and I have played there other games. So I have faith in them.

Hello,

Myrthos, thanks for posting the info about Worlds of Magic.
Let me write you few words why we have launched the Kickstarter campaign.

As you might see on the screens posted on the Kickstarter, this is a pre-alpha version of the game. This means it might differ from the final product, and it is, as the game lacks shaders, materials and lighting.
We have decided that the best way to have the assets part of the game ready at the same time when the mechanics will be ready is to show the game at Kickstarter and look for people who really loved Master of Magic and 4X games.

Please spread the word if you like the idea, and let others know about the game we are working on.

I feel bad for you guys, you shouldnt have posted images at this point imo. It makes the game look ugly.

I did some googling and stand corrected to a fair degree. I am probably going to offer some kickstarter cash once I get my next paycheck. Here is a review of their game "Time of Fury" at a website I personally trust overall.

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3150/pc-game-review-time-of-fury

It helps knowing they have a decent AI expereience... but even better is the reviewer stating the team is responsive to bug reports and on top of patches.

I, personally, have a lot more hope for this game and, personally, graphics are the last thing that make a game for me.... gameplay and AI always trump everything else.

Hey, Doomtrader. Thanks for posting here. If you're still around, perhaps you could answer a question for me. Perhaps I missed it on your Kickstarter page, but I'm not sure this was explicitly addressed: Will there be a "sandbox" mode, not a scripted campaign, in which a single human player competes against multiple AI opponents?

I saw where you guys mentioned procidurally generated maps with parameters set by the plqyer. This leads me to believe the answer is yes, but I'm slowly learning not to make assumptions in this area. For example, I bought Omerta, ostensibly a strategy title, after seeing a video with a "sandbox" button in the main menu. As it turns out, that button is a straight-up lie. :p

As a strategy developer, I imagine you have noticed the trend away from writing AI. Want to play against someone? We'll give you a multiplayer mode publishers tell us everyone wants and simply must have in every game. Well, personally, I hate multiplayer and would like to shove the publishers' (or developers') easier alternative down their throats. Sadly, it seems to me, decent AI in single player is quickly going the way of the dodo, but it's just this kind of rare bird I'd be glad to support.

Last edited:
Capt. Huggy Face
You are right, the game will represent you a Worlds on different planes of existence where other players (AI) will compete with you to gain control over them.
So more less it can be called sandbox, however it won't be so easy.

We are planning to include Multiplayer at some point, just because we know how fun can be play with human. However we want to make the AI good enough to give you hard times often.

Doesnt look bad, ill have to keep an eye on this one

I'm kinda disappointed in the comments, I thought you peeps were the hardcore types that don't care about graphics. They look sufficient. We're talking about a deep strategy game here. Then again, I'm the type of gamer that think's for instance Gothic's graphics are good enough.

Last edited:
Today we have released some of our progresses on the World Map, a subject which a lot of people have mentioned on those days. That's the thing:

WoM_pre_alpha_map_13_11_04_004.png

WoM_pre_alpha_map_13_11_04_003.png

Yep, we have to keep working on water, but this is progressing a lot! BTW, you can see all the other official updates here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts

oh god that looks horrible!
Where's all the advanced bitmap vortex lighting?

Who cares about the gameplay, we need realistic water!

By the way, for those who have been a bit disapointed by Fallen Enchantress, you should give a look at its upcoming expansion, FE : Legendary Heroes. The beta is already on Steam and I've been playing it for a week or two... Even if it's still Beta, it already feels more polished than the original Fallen Enchantress.

xSamhainx

We are hardcore gamers, and the gameplay is the core of the game for us.
But we can not underestimate the part of gamers who are more onto graphic.
This will for sure doesn't harm those who don't care how the game looks like, but can increase the game popularity among others, thus allow us to make more not-simple games

And here is a very short gameplay video we have just made.

Click here to watch a video!

Back
Top Bottom