The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Continuing on the late-era Coltrane, I've been listening to Stellar Regions ... one of his last recordings, and some interesting stuff.

My older son is really into System of a Down and was sharing that with us tonight, earlier our younger son had some Muse on while we were cleaning.

Wow ... can't believe it has been over a year since I posted about listening to Dolphy.

I've been listening today to Jimmy Guiffre's later 'Freefall'. More great stuff.

Wow ... can't believe it has been over a year since I posted about listening to Dolphy.

Dolphy rulez! Out There is my second favourite by him.

As for today, Boredoms it is.

Super æ (1998) and Vision Creation Newsun (1999) by this band from Japan are true gems in the noise/ambient/tribal/whatever niche. What really separates these two albums from the most of other noise related stuff is the fact that they´re actually uplifting.
Abrassive meditative psychedelic joy, I´d say :).

Super You
Abrassive but playful and often downward hilarious. Pretty cool video too.

[zutto]
Meditative.

[circle]
Tribal psychedelic ride. Even in this shortened version, this track is absolute killer.
It has rather crazy video too and I highly recommend to listen at least to this one, those 50 drums shouldn´t be missed :).

I just found out about Vocaloid, a software that allows you to synthesize singing by just typing in lyrics and melody. Pretty amazing. Some songs sound very realistic. Here are some examples I've been listening too for a while:

Prima -- Lacrimosa - S. Amaté - Requiem, classic

Miriam -- Thingymajigtus (Lyrics) Sounds ... medieval? I think I've heard a song like this before, though I don't remember where.

Miku Hatsune -- Mononoke Hime, you'll recognize the song if you've watched the movie

Miku Hatsune -- Yukkuri Shiteitte ne!!, random, weird and catchy hard rock (?).

Haha, I´ve been meddling with Vocaloid around 2 years ago, but getting something decent out of it was an essence of tedium.

As for what I´m listening to:
Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines EP (2006)

A pretty unique band from France. I´d describe their style as shoegaze black metal, haha. Unlike in other black metal acts, Amesoeurs´ harsh vocals come off as, well, really touching, and raw sound doen´t clash with generally mellow melodies. Third song is mellow entirely, with female vox.
You might give it a try too, dteowner, at least the third one.

Whole EP:

Bonheur Amputé

Ruines Humaines

Faiblesse Des Sens

Last edited:
Excellent band. What cd(s) are you spinning? Generally, their work is divided into two eras, the earlier "Blue Bell Knoll" sound and the later "Heaven or Las Vegas" sound. The earlier one is a little more experimental. I prefer the smoother stuff of later days. Such as:
"Fotzepolitic" by Cocteau Twins

Well, it's actually just their best off album, that I'm listening to: "Stars and Topsoil". I borrowed that CD from the library alongside a BBC live album and the album "Treasure". I borrowed all they had with Cocteau Twins.
I agree that there is a distinct difference between their songs. You can clearly hear their "early" and "late" stuff. I prefer songs like "Sugar Hiccup", "Pearly-dewdrops' Drops", Aikea Guinea" and "Orange Appled". It's all just single material, but the point is that you can hear their shoegazer connection more in those songs contrary to their latter songs.

As I found myself at a Corvus Corax concert last night (you *might* know them as they contributed to the Gothic 3 soundtrack) and enjoyed it immensly. So I dug out all my CC CDs... here's a snippet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jrTRgGWcpE

@HX: Oh, but I saw them before with *nearly* the same program last year, and I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. Must have been the ****ing cold air last year (it was an open air performance), but I just couldn't get into the mood back then. I've always enjoyed the their side project Tanzwut, though. Loved the gigs... and this CC gig was just as great :).

And now for something completely different... ;)

Pretty Britpop for today. These gents put up some old tunes on their site.
"Nearer Than Heaven" by Delays

Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi del Presente (1977), or more precisely, 2004 reissue Dell'Universo Assente. The only release by this unique artist.

Haunting, thoughtful, fragile and beautiful. Hard to describe, really.
Melancholic impressionism, maybe.

Primo quadro della conoscenza

I'm a bit confused, but it looks like Tearwave has pulled off a name change. I'm trying to find out what's up with that, but the "new" band has a couple tunes up which I assume were targetted for the 3rd Tearwave release. I think they're excellent.
"Observing the Empty" by Makaras Pen
(gets uber-cool around 1:50, IMO)

Since I was listening to The Wind Chimes by Mike Oldfield earlier this day, I cannot get it out of my head ... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom