RPGs to Rule the World @ Edge

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Online takes a look at upcoming AAA RPGs in their RPGs to Rule the World article. From the "western RPG" category, they have a brief blurb on Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol and Sonic, and then "Action RPGs" sees Fable II, Sacred and Argonauts covered. A sample:
2. Dragon Age: Origins
PC
EA/BioWare
TBA 2009
RPG stalwarts repulsed by BioWare’s action-oriented turns in Mass Effect have been waiting forever for Dragon Age: Origins. It’s been seen as a return to the developer’s “good old days” when Baldur’s Gate tickled players for hundreds of hours. Of course, this is entirely BioWare’s intention—this is, after all, an M-rated dark fantasy for adult gamers, and if you like you can play the whole game with the camera situated in classic Infinity Engine isometric. Of course there are many concessions to modernity as well, so it should be extremely competitive—it’ll do a million worldwide if it releases in all the European languages simultaneously.
More information.

I can understand Fallout 3, Dragon Age and Alpha Protocol but SONIC. Direct quote about Sonic But if BioWare’s handheld division can actually pull this off, it will also draw the curiosity of older Sega and BioWare fans alike, yielding perhaps around a half million in sales and a surprising new turn for the aging hedgehog.

I'm a huge Bioware fan I loved everything they've done. I liked the RTwP games they've done even though I would of prefered TB but I seriously doubt that this Sonic handheld will pull in older Bioware fans. If they made if for the PC then maybe I might buy it if the reviews were ok, but a NDS game there is no way I'm getting it. I would have to buy a NDS in the first place and I already have a PSP that has more RPG games. This is not GTA or even Gods of War and I don't see how they can even hope to pull in older Bioware fans like myself. I may be wrong but a half a million seems like a whole heck of a lot of sales for any handheld portable.

If I recall correctly, the Nintendo DS is the most prevalent console in the world...

Just googled it and this article claims Nintendo has sold over 77 million DS consoles. So... I'd have to say half a million sales for a game by a "AAA" developer is an easy goal.

Actually they have more rpgs now for the DS I think...

If I recall correctly, the Nintendo DS is the most prevalent console in the world...

Nah. It's still behind Gameboy Advance (81 million), PS1 (102 million (shipped)), GB/GB Color (118 million) and PS2 (140 million)

So... I'd have to say half a million sales for a game by a "AAA" developer is an easy goal.

Pretty easy. The top-selling games are the likes of Nintendogs (19 million), Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (15 million) and new Super Mario Bros (14 million)

It won't reach that, but consider that Final Fantasy III (a port from the 1990 game) sold 2 million copies: 1 million in Japan, half a million in both Europe and NA.

The only problem might be limited market penetration in Japan, but Sonic's face will take care of a part of that.

Actually they have more rpgs now for the DS I think...
The DS has WAY WAY WAY more NATIVE RPGs that the PSP, but even if you include GBA RPGs and all the emulators possible plus RPGs available for those(OLD systems as the DS is assininely CPU weak) it doesn't match the PSP plus custom firmware (or $600 dongle) AND old PSX RPGs... plus ALL of the systems that it can emulate, up to just about the N64(no RPGs of note there though).

The DS has WAY WAY WAY more NATIVE RPGs that the PSP, but even if you include GBA RPGs and all the emulators possible plus RPGs available for those(OLD systems as the DS is assininely CPU weak) it doesn't match the PSP plus custom firmware (or $600 dongle) AND old PSX RPGs... plus ALL of the systems that it can emulate, up to just about the N64(no RPGs of note there though).

You know that the typical owner of a mobile gaming console does not care or even know about modding a console or playing emulated games on?

Accept the facts: Sony dropped the ball on the PSP and now it is a wonderswan 2.0 machine for the freaks. It's a chore to even buy one in a store here in Germany, while DS packages are sold in dozens.

IF Sony would've been true to their promises (Gran Tourismo anyone?) they would've easily been a force majeur in the mobile gaming market, but they also underestimated the power of Doc Kawashima :)

Back
Top Bottom