Divine Divinity - Remastered Version Under Way

I wish more game companies would do this with their older titles; it's a really good idea. I loved the original Divinity, I'm sure I'll buy this. I thought it was polished on delivery, and can't really think of anything that bothered me when I was playing it. I guess like somebody else said, widescreen 1920x1200 would be nice.

coop multiplayer!

As for the resolutions, you could just change the config file and put whatever you wanted anyway.

Divine Divinity is one of the few non-Black Isle games that pulled off the RPG formula almost perfectly, but I found the spikes spell to be completely broken. I finished the entire game with pretty much that spell alone.

Nah, FREEZE was the winner for me. Stopped the enemies and you could whittle them away at your leisure!! :)

Hell Spikes didn't freeze the opponents, but halted their movement, and did area damage that passed all resistances, which made it very easy to hit with, both single targets and groups, and you never needed another spell. The broken aspect of it is that there was no delay between click+damage, which means that as long as you had mana potions, all you needed was a quick finger. I remember that "Harm" in Arcanum was equally broken.

I want to see this classic on gog.

Ditto. I'd like to replay it before Div 2 so some tweaking/prettification would be great.

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I asked about an estimated release date. I have the original retail boxed version, and was planning on playing it soon.

Personally, my feeling tells me very much it will be on GOG ...

Personally, my feeling tells me very much it will be on GOG …

I hope so - the more I think about it the more I am against them screwing with anyof the core stuff about this classic.

I mean, think about it - why didn't many folks get that far in: the first dungeon. Why not just eliminate that for mass appeal?

I don't know ... Yes, in principle you are right, but i don't know whether they are actually able to do it ?

He sais something about "the code", which means i fear there might be less than i want (and i basically want all of the blocked areas and stuff to be restored ! ;) )

I don't want *anything* removed ... I was saying 'hey, why not make a fundamental change' as a ridiculous suggestion. Sort of tearing out the entire end.

Hmm, since I don't remember whether there was something like that in the game or not, the only thing that would be great if it can be included is probably a key that high-lights objects like containers and levers (the second one especially) something like the Tab key in later Infinity titles.

Started a new game this weekend.

First off, that starting dungeon didn't take me anywhere as long as it did the first time. You just can't expect to go through it without making a few trips back to town to heal and buy potions and also without venturing outside the town a bit and killing some Orcs to level before finishing the dungeon. There are also a few difficult encounters that you can just avoid and some optional areas in the dungeon that aren't necessary to finish it.

Secondly, I love this game. It really has a good mix of Diablo-type dungeon crawling, open ended adventuring, humor, flexible class system, good writing, goofy-but-not-in-an-irritating-way voice acting, great music, decent U.I. and a HUMONGOUS open world that feels real.

I guess if I had my way the game would be a little less Diablo - maybe remove 15 to 20% of the enemies in certain areas (maybe… i kinda like that the world is so populated in a way since it makes the whole "invasion" theme seem a bit more realistic as opposed to Oblivion's). Still, there's an awful lot of combat which can get a bit tiresome.

This is hard game to find, at least at a reasonable price. You'd think a copy could be had for around $10 in some bargain bin, but not so. I've been tempted to pickup a used copy off ebay but even those are overpriced. It's good to hear that they are going to give the game some love. I don't think GOG would have gone out of its way to get the game, considering how low the Wish List vote count is.

As for that first dungeon - they shouldn't remove it, perhaps just decrease the number of encounters in it or make them a bit easier.

As I said, the first time through I thought it was ridiculously long but playing it a second time (originally played it about 1.5 years ago, never finished the game though) the dungeon didn't seem that long. Still a bit difficult but not overly so (nothing like the road to Arnika!!!).

I think the most difficult part of that dungeon is the lack of heal potions at the start of the game (or if you look at it another way, the amount of damage enemies do right at the start) - like I said above, you can't go straight through, you need to backtrack and make several trips back to town and that makes the dungeon seem longer than it is.

This is not a huge complaint, but if you ask what I would change, here it is:

If I could change one thing about Divine Divinity would be to make it so that the first dungeon is explored a bit later in the game. Let a newly created character wonder around the surface for a while before sending them underground.

I didn't like how Oblivion starts you out underground either. I don't know why so many RPGs out there want you to start out underground. After I install a brand new RPG on my machine I'm always so excited to see what the outside world looks like but typically I'm forced into some underground romp first. Of course this perspective of mine isn't directed to underground only games such as Ultima Underworld or the more recent Arx Fatalis.

If I could change one thing about Divine Divinity would be to make it so that the first dungeon is explored a bit later in the game. Let a newly created character wonder around the surface for a while before sending them underground.

Nothing prevents you from wandering around the surface. You CAN leave the town and kill Orcs outside the gate and even make your way to the next town.

Back
Top Bottom