Matt Chat - Albion Retrospective Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Matt Barton takes a look back at Albion the classic CRPG from Blue Byte in this new Mat Chat video. I have to admit I almost forgot about this game.

This week's episode is a retrospective of "Albion," a 1995/6 CRPG from Blue Byte. Originally intended for the Amiga AGA platform, Albion is a forward-thinking RPG classic, with turn-based combat, an epic sci-fi storyline, and adventure-game style puzzles.
More information.

Didn't expect that one to pop up.
Albion was a really awesome game for that time. Especially loved the atmosphere.

I never finished Albion, but I thought it was a really good game, and it's one I'd like to replay someday. The way it transitioned back and forth between isometric and first-person was pretty cool for back then.

I'm surprised it hasn't popped up on GOG yet.

Never completed the game myself either but I still consider it to be one of the most memorable CRPG experience from the 90s. An original setting with a rich background, a very neat realisation and the unique touch from Blue Bytes make this gem one of the most underrated games of the genre.

That is a game I'd like to see remade one day.

I'd much rather see Amberworlds some day, the final entry in the Amber trilogy that never was ...

But Albion was great too. :)

I'd finished this game if it had some deeper mechanics. Right now, I only played through the very first stages.

One of the games I never finished due to a hard drive crash. But it was such a memorable play experience. I think the game tended to drag in the middle and when my rig crashed, there was no sense of exigency to reinstall and finish up. I've been waiting for GOG to pick it up but so far nothing. But thanks for linking to this Retro vid. To this very day I can still hear the very unique music to that game in my head.

You can get it out there as abandon ware....and just use dosbox...

Albion is one of my all time favourites. Highly recommended.

@Myrthos
PS: We need an entry in our game database for Albion.

Some people say the story of the movie Avatar was stolen in parts from Albion...

I started and finished this about two years ago. I agree it was a deep game with a very rich gameworld, but it definitely dragged after a while and was a chore to finish - so much so that I'm not sure I understand it's classic status - maybe lots of people didn't finish it. The first person engine in Albion was unbelievably awful - very clunky and with very bad graphics.

Actually, Albion was one of my first CRPGs. I loved the setting, story and exploration was really interesting and I think it has a good balance of combat, puzzles and exploration. My only complaint, the final stage was too diffficult, imho, or I didn't get the clue. But I think Albion was one of the games that convinced me to play CRPGs.

Albion is one of my all time favourites. Highly recommended.

@Myrthos
PS: We need an entry in our game database for Albion.

We don't have one? Pick out a similar game and modify the DB details for Albion. Then send it to me.

Back
Top Bottom