Gothic Brand New to Gothic. Questions on Class/Character Build for Gothic 1

The control scheme is easy for me -> I managed to get myself used to it. Btw, you can skip dialogue -> I think it's either the right mouse button, the enter button or the space bar.
In Gothic2 the action key isn't together with the forward button, so you can be sure that it will be easier for you to play.

Stick with it, trust me. You will be cheating yourself out of a great experience if you give up on it that easily.

I actually really liked the controls once I got used to them.

Try a gamepad. ;)

The "action key" is also the left mouse button, and LMB + forward does almost everything - and most of it much faster than an intuitive game which requires 5 mouse clicks to do the same. Example: KotOR.
A nice detail is that you have 4 combat options when you have the LMB pressed. Block, swing left, swing right, attack with a step forward. The difficult combat early on is part of the design. Your character has to formally learn how to hold a sword.

Gothic 2 has both a cleaned up version of the Gothic controls and a simpler one which maps standard attacks to the mouse.

Gothic's controls were very intuitive after maybe 20 minutes of getting used to them and very involving. Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy, to name another title with an unusual control scheme, took some getting used to as well, but it dragged you even more into the game.

IIRC I only had to change the controls to my good old ESDF-layout I use in FPS games (don't remember what the defaults were), the rest sort of just fell into place.

Don't fret. Try to find out how stuff works (see Gorath's post), use it a couple times and don't think to much about it. Left mouse button plus one of the direction keys to do almost everything. Skipping dialogue: yeah, it's possible, don't remember how exactly either. RMB or RMB+LMB or something.

I'll keep experimenting with it and try to get comfortable. I'm kinda tempted to skip to Gothic 2, but if these games are as good as people say, then I'd like to experience them properly, in order.

Persevere with it if you can, it's certainly worth it to experience the choices and consequences of the first and second chapter especially. Having said that, I only played the first game after playing the second the one time - it was so enjoyable that I went and purchased Gothic II Gold just to play the expansion, which was even better.

Seeing how the factions develop from your choices and wandering the world of gothic is simply alot of fun, the controls will become completely secondary after awhile. I hadn't had that much fun exploration wise since my time with Morrowind.

Mmm don't remember alt tab not working, but I don't remember that I wanted to use it ever while playing G1.

The controls are hard at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, you will love it, don't give up on such a great game yet

Remember, you can also customize the keyboard commands through the options menu.

I'll keep experimenting with it and try to get comfortable. I'm kinda tempted to skip to Gothic 2, but if these games are as good as people say, then I'd like to experience them properly, in order.

Yeah you definitely want to play Gothic 1 first, the games compliment each other nicely when played in order. It's also a lot of fun in the sequel when you encounter people and places that you recognize from the first game.

yeah a pitty they messed that up in G3, your old friends where nothing more then beastfodder there :(

I gave this another try yesterday, enjoing it much more now. I read the manual before loading up the game this time. I really like how my charcter is really just a nobody who just got thrown into the colony. I can't even consistently beat scavengers and molerats. I tried fighting a wolf and got one-shotted, lol. Then I was walking around the outside part of old camp, and guard comes up to me offers protection, and takes the 1 ore that I have on me in exchange. I really felt helpless, cuz I knew there was no way I could fight him.

It's a very different experience to wading through hordes of weak monsters. Each fight survived feels like an achievement, and I expect that I will experiene a real sense of progression once I get more powerful.

Hehehe you are bitten by the gorhic bug :)
Have fun and enjoy, don't forget G2 after it.
You can skip G3 and just go to risen after that :p

Yep, I've got it all planned out. Will play Gothic 1 through, then get 2 from GoG (which is where I got 1). In the meantime I will preorder Risen from Europe (as it doesnt look like the censors in this country will allow it to be sold at retail here). Then Alpha Protocol near the end of October, and Dragon Age in November!

So much RPG goodness, and that's not even considering Venetica!

that will be my planning too, but without Gothic. At least if I can afford a better rig :p

I read the manual before loading up the game this time.
Does it have poem? Polish version does but I never knew if it's in every language version or this is a little bonus for polish fans ;)

Back
Top Bottom