Things you don't need to know...

Heh. I remember back in '79, just after the release of "The Wall". I was in a 2nd hand record shop when a 14ish boy came in. He wanted to sell an album. In the corner of my eye I noticed a couple of cows. I looked at the boy and said "You only played this record once?". He said yes. And that's how I got myself a practically new "Atom Heart Mother" at half the price.

Poor boy. I'm pretty sure said wall was his first Pink Floyd, and then he discovered "Wow, this great band has released a LOT of records"….

pibbur who thinks that some of you actually appreciate knowing this.

According to Wikipedia, "Q.U.B.E., an indie puzzle video game, was developed by Toxic Games without having a single programmer on its team".

I didn't need to know that! I hate'em! Because of this I will NEVER buy said game!

says pibbur who is a programmer and who didn't bother to check the validity of this piece of unwanted information. HAH!

The Cape Verdean spiny lobster Palinurus charlestoni is for some reason named after a French fishing boat. According to rumours the Americans call it Palinurus libertatis.

In Roman mythology, Palinurus is the name of the somewhat unlucky helmsman of a ship belonging to Aeneas as described in "The Iliad" by Vergil. AFAIK, the genus Palinurus didn't get it's name from him, but derives in stead from Paliurus, a thorn bush. Seems reasonable as said lobsters are kind of spiny.

Palinurus belongs to the family Palinuridae. A couple of other genera in that familiy got their names as permutations of "Palinurus". Thus we have "Panulirus", "Linuparus" and "Nuparilus".

The name of the butterfly "Papilio palinurus" derives from the helmsman.

Says Pibburus pibburi who is named after a Norwegian email address.

Horatio Nelson died 21 October 1805 during the battle of Trafalgar. To preserve his body on the return trip to England, his body was put in a cask filled with brandy. At Gibraltar the body was transferred to a lead-lined coffin filled with spirits of wine. All according to Wikipedia.

According to Emerson Kent.com, History for the relaxed historian
WORLD HISTORY FOR THE RELAXED HISTORIAN
"nobody inquired into the final whereabouts of the first fill (the brandy).

pibbur says "cheers"!

I think it was Alexander The Great who was transferred to his burial place while being covered by honey.
I have read that some argue that this might be a hint towards anti-bacteria or so abilities of honey.
But you don't need to know that as well. ;)

If exposed to atmospheric martian dust, solar panels are obscured at a rate of 0.28% per day.

pibbur who is glad that the floor of his den is not made of solar panels

I have comitted a crime, and a terrible one. My oldest who knows a LOT about Latin and Antiquity hates me.

In my little story about the spiny lobster, I told you that Palinurus was a "helmsman of a ship belonging to Aeneas as described in "The Iliad" by Vergil", which is a blatant lie.

It is true that Palinurus was a helmsman employed by Aenas.

But:
1. Vergil didn't write the Iliad. Homer did. (Actually I knew that, but for some reason .... )
2. Palinurus is not a character in the Iliad, but in the Aeneid. (Which as it happens was written by Vergil).

You may not need to know this, but my daughter (accompanied by as yet unspecific but still severe threats) made it clear to me that I had to tell you.

pibbur who hopes he got it right this time. And that she won't tell my wife.

Wikipedia has, can't understand why, some reference to the Ten Commandments of Dog Ownership. I choose to ignore them, they're boring, I won't even post the link.

In stead I give you the 10 commandments of the cat. It doesn't matter if you think you need to know about them or not. If you have a cat, you KNOW them:

1. You shall worship no other than Me, not human, not dog, not other Cat. You shall not bow down to them or beg of them; you may lick them, provided they taste good, and rub them, provided they feed you in a timely manner.
  2. Do not call Me the Great Kitty, for it offends Me and I bite.
  3. Observe the Sabbath hours of each day, at random intervals. Never adhere to a schedule, but sleep through most of every day and raise hell every night.
  4. For six days you shall expect and demand that humans labor and do work for thee. On the seventh day, you shall do the same, for you are not going anywhere just because of some stupid human writing on a calendar. Remember that in ancient times you were kept on a leash like a dog, and that the Lord your C-t gave you teeth and claws and attitude; therefore the Lord commands you to rule your feeders 24-7.
  5. Honor thy Mother, for she fed you and licked you and dragged you from room to room by your neck. Honor thy Father if you know who he is.
  6. You shall not murder thy fellow Cat, but rather rough him up severely if he encroaches on your turf. Kill anything else you want.
  7. Thou shalt not be monogamous, for it is confining.
  8. Neither shall you respect the property of thy feeders, but destroy any and all of it that turns their attention from their proper worship of you.
  9. Neither shall you inform on your fellow Cats if they also destroy your feeders property, but instead rough them up severely for trying to take over your turf.
  10. Whatever your neighbor has, you shall covet. Covet his mate, his pillow, his food, his feeders, rats, his mice, and his spiders and flies. Steal them if you can. Try not to get roughed up too much.

On the page where I found these, there's also a reference to The 10 kitty commandments. I've NEVER heard of a cat obeying thos.

pibbur who aknowledges that cats are small furry animals which probably won't stay gathered in a cave for very long.

I don't own a cat, but for some reason the neighborhood kitties love my house - perhaps because I don't own a cat? Anyway the cheeky little fuzz balls curl up on the heating ducts under house and crush them flat, which makes me cold unhappy.

pibbur - you seem to have close ties to the cat community. Could you please explain to me why I'm being victimised like this?

In general, a cat will expand it's area of interest to all nearby regions not occupied by a cat. You don't have a cat, so any neighbour cat will invade terrory which appears to be yours. The only possible way of avoid being invaded by a cat is to get yourself a cat. Which you should have done in the first place.

pibbur who probably shouldn't mention that many cats detest the smell of the skin of the common orange.

@hurls: That was hilarious!

In general, a cat will expand it's area of interest to all nearby regions not occupied by a cat. You don't have a cat, so any neighbour cat will invade terrory which appears to be yours. The only possible way of avoid being invaded by a cat is to get yourself a cat. Which you should have done in the first place.

pibbur who probably shouldn't mention that many cats detest the smell of the skin of the common orange.

@hurls: That was hilarious!

Glad you liked it. In terms of things you don't need to know it was a super bowl ad with probably the first known accompanying web-game for advertising. There are several others in series, if you PM me I have them all as .avi/.mpg.

You don't need to know that in the Archives of the Edison company a sound document consisting of the voice of German politician Bismarck was found.
Here in Germany this is a great thing !

Emilius (pictured) and his sons Priam and Plenipotentiary were all winners of the Derby Stakes when they were three years old? I assume we're talking about horses here, even if their names are somewhat ... trivial.

These are more realistic: Smith and Jones: Horce racing results

Simply pibbur

In Tokyo aka Edo one Ronin did not seppuku. Since this happened exactly 309 years ago, it's also mentioned on the TYDNTK thread.

pibbur who is a bitt dizzy since everything in this hotel is roundish.

After his victory in 1802, Tyrant was described by a contemporary sports writer as "one of the worst horses that ever won a Derby"

pibbur who finds this more interesting than superbowl and therefore realizes he should post about superbowl here.

Don't forget the Cricket!! Some people wouldn't want to know that Australia beat India. :)

Back
Top Bottom