Space Rangers HD - 1C Announces Space Rangers HD: A War Apart

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
In a time where Kickstarter is reviving beloved classics, 1C is doing it the old fashioned way with the announcement of that they are currently developing Space Rangers HD: A War Apart.
The game will offer a new storyline from a pirate's point of view as well as upgrading the graphics, new upgrades for spaceships, side quests, goals, promotions, planetary battles, text quests and hyperspace engagements. In addition to the new subplot the 'HD' overhaul will display resolutions up to 1920x1200, support multi-core processors, Windows 7 as well as other technical improvements.
You can find out more about the game at its homepage.
Here is the official announcement:
MOSCOW, Russia — April 18, 2012 — Leading Eastern and Central European publisher, 1C Company, is proud to announce the development of Space Rangers HD: A War Apart. The legendary series returns, in full HD glory, and with new material offering a pirate’s point of view with new storyline. This new title remasters the universe of Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators and Space Rangers 2: Reboot and allows players to revisit those games or take part in a thrilling new story.

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart takes place in 3300AD. Our galaxy is invaded by the Dominators, combat robots that come under the influence of an alien technology. The player finds themselves in a living, breathing world where they can engage multiple activities: fight in space and hyperspace, buy and sell goods, accomplish government missions, liberate planets from the Dominators in 3D RTS battles and complete text adventures leading to unique plot twists and rewards. The game ending is not set and players may find a victory of either side at the end. Everything depends on the actions taken in this developing world where anybody can live the life of a pirate as well as that of a hero.

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart features a dynamic game world where the balance of power between the Dominators and the Coalition can shift at any minute and can be tipped to either side by player actions. A wise criminal will wait before plundering the Coalition if it is losing the war. Additionally, the game has been updated including new upgrades for spaceships, new planetary battles, text quests and hyperspace engagements available to pirates and law abiding rangers. This enhanced edition brings full widescreen support up to 1920x1200 complete with updated graphics and interface. Subtle improvements like the ability to play hyperspace battles outside of the story mode help to provide the unique experience for which Space Rangers was revered.
More information.

I wonder if they are colecting more money to have for SR 3 or just they are milking the franchise. Great game series if no one tried them.

Milk away, just give me more Space Rangers.

Actually I never thought I'd see another Space Rangers revamped or otherwise. Good to see 1C has an interest in continuing this franchise.

I would have preferred a Space Rangers 3, but yeah, more space rangers is still good. Rise of the Dominators was a ton of fun.

Well, looks like my backlog just got one item bigger well ahead of time---can't imagine this not doing well if they put the proper work into it.

News most excellent. Now to erase this info from my brain so it won't tickle my impatience.

Never played this, but always have been interested. No wide-screen and aging graphics were two things holding me back, so this is interesting!

Also, PLEASE (pretty please, with sugar on top, etc) proof-read the English text and correct typos/re-translate as necessary.

I liked SR2, good game.

The text puzzles and ships and inventory and trading were all great.

I didn't really care for the combat though, the turn-based normal combat didn't feel responsive enough, I didn't feel like my decisions really affected combat enough to be fun. And the hyperspace combat felt like a chore to me. I just remember the end boss was in hyperspace combat but scaled faster than you did or I took too long or something goofy and he totally whipped my butt time and time again. Never did beat the darn game because of the end boss.

However unlike most reviewers I enjoyed the RTS portions. They were a great way to earn money? reputation? levels? ...something. I remember thinking I was pretty good at them and they kind of felt like cheating based on whatever they did for you after you won one.

Great game series if no one tried them.

I recently purchased a 1C game collection that contains all the Space Rangers games released so far. I was thinking of giving them a try.

I remember not being very impressed with the demo for SR2 when I tried it a few years ago, but all the positive comments I've seen have me thinking about giving it another chance. I'm guessing there's no point in playing SR1 now (or is there?) so I'll probably go straight to SR2.

What's the difference between SR2 and SR2: Reboot? Is Reboot an enhanced version of SR2 or some kind of expansion?

If I'm not wrong SR2 Reboot is SR2 + Expansion.
So you only have to play SR2 Reboot.

I bought last year in a retail sale, and was thinking in giving it a chance, thanks to a lot of positive comments from players, that I've been reading all through the years.

Reboot is an expansion to the world. Basically more stuff.

A word of warning to anyone interested in playing Space Rangers 2 for the first time. The planaterary battles are horrible. I've heard some people enjoyed them, but not me. Too simplistic and takes far too long to complete.

On the other hand the text adventures are superb. Loved everyone of them.

Luckily you can turn off Planatary battles if you want to and it will never give you another quest to do them. Same with text adventures. If you don't like them then when they offer them to you in the questline just choose "NEVER SHOW ME THIS AGAIN!!!"

Space Rangers 2:

Features

-Explore the awe-inspiring galaxy which evolves as you progress
-Visit strange new worlds and engage in perilous missions
-Fly the galaxy fighting in turn-based mode and trade your way to glory
-Conquer the planets winning 3D RTS battles on their surface
-Build & customize giant war robots and challenge The Dominators
-Exciting character development
-Amazing old-school text quests

SR2: Reboot expansion addional content:

-5 new text quests
-27 new maps for planetary and 10 for hyperspace battles
-New unique equipment and hull designs, including three super spaceships
-New game modes: step-by-step progress through text quests and planetary battles
-Expanded interface of ship’s hold and information center
-More than 50 new governmental tasks of different types
-Galaxy search system improved

Steam's Space Rangers 2 Reboot page

I recently purchased a 1C game collection that contains all the Space Rangers games released so far. I was thinking of giving them a try.

I remember not being very impressed with the demo for SR2 when I tried it a few years ago, but all the positive comments I've seen have me thinking about giving it another chance. I'm guessing there's no point in playing SR1 now (or is there?) so I'll probably go straight to SR2.

Oh yeah I know what you mean. The demo turned me off to the game and I only ended up buying it because it was in a value bundle too. The demo is not a good representation of the game - but the quality of the translation is still pretty bad. The gameplay itself does get better than the demo would have suggested though. As skaven has suggested, the combat still isn't great but the customization is interesting and the text - the better translated parts of it - is actually quite interesting.

What's the difference between SR2 and SR2: Reboot? Is Reboot an enhanced version of SR2 or some kind of expansion?

SR2:Reboot is a major patch+expansion content. It was a free upgrade in the Russian market (I think) and sold as a stand-alone re-release+expansion in a lot of others. Its more important for the fixes than it is for the additional content - for me at least. The additional content is not trivial though either.

As skaven has suggested, the combat still isn't great but the customization is interesting and the text - the better translated parts of it - is actually quite interesting.

I liked the space battles and even the hyperspace combat. It's just those planetary battles with the walking robots that I hated. I do the first and maybe the second one to get a quick cash infusion, but after the second one I don't do any more. It normally takes a good hour or so to finish one of those battles. It's just not worth it.

SR2:Reboot is a major patch+expansion content. It was a free upgrade in the Russian market (I think) and sold as a stand-alone re-release+expansion in a lot of others. Its more important for the fixes than it is for the additional content - for me at least. The additional content is not trivial though either.

Does the extra content take place after SR2 or is it integrated into it?

I liked the space battles and even the hyperspace combat. It's just those planetary battles with the walking robots that I hated. I do the first and maybe the second one to get a quick cash infusion, but after the second one I don't do any more. It normally takes a good hour or so to finish one of those battles. It's just not worth it.

Sorry yeah I meant the ground battles. The space battles are definitely less of a slog.

Does the extra content take place after SR2 or is it integrated into it?

It adds stuff to the original - there isn't something like a follow-on adventure like Throne of Bhaal I don't think. I just got it a few days ago though; guess I'm really just saying if you already have the bundle it's worth giving a second look.

It adds stuff to the original - there isn't something like a follow-on adventure like Throne of Bhaal I don't think. I just got it a few days ago though; guess I'm really just saying if you already have the bundle it's worth giving a second look.

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering because Dominators and Reboot are packaged separately in the bundle I have, but based on what you said, I guess there's no reason to play vanilla SR2.

No reason to play SR2. Just play reboot, it's the original plus all the new stuff added. The search mechanism in the game is vastly improved. I know a simple search engine doesn't sound like a big thing, but in this game where you are looking for the best prices/newest equipment it makes a big difference.

Reboot is an expansion to the world. Basically more stuff.

A word of warning to anyone interested in playing Space Rangers 2 for the first time. The planaterary battles are horrible. I've heard some people enjoyed them, but not me. Too simplistic and takes far too long to complete.
I always though that ditching RTS battles and replacing them with some UFO-like turn based tactical combat could have turn Space Rangers 2 in an almost perfect game.

Still, it's a criminally overlooked masterpiece, anyway.

All sumarized up quite well, I quite didn't liked rts battles the first play through, second time starting to play expansion I tried to do them all since first time I was not thinking and using all the limited resources. And I started to play from the second game and I am glad that I did since I think the first game does not have text quests and I really liked the one where you where in Labyrinth.

Back
Top Bottom