Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really like bringing over the vapidity of social media here either :) But I'm probably in the minority.

...how about an option to turn it off completely on the user's end? Feasible or too much work?

I don't really like bringing over the vapidity of social media here either :) But I'm probably in the minority.

…how about an option to turn it off completely on the user's end? Feasible or too much work?
Not a bad idea Drithius.;)

Though the like option has nothing to do with social media as every site I visit for news in the past ten years had an option to up-vote, or down-vote.

It wasn't until Facebook took the term it suddenly changed.

It's still vapid and speaks to the ever diminishing attention span of society. If you like a post (or agree with it), then make the effort to reply in full - not some half-assed click of a button.

Anyway, that line of thought/argument really goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Just to say... I hate this new feature.
Won't use it. Will wait if till vBulletin adds disabling it in user profile.

Disabling it won't happen as I don't think we will move to any of the newer vBulletin versions (if those versions would have that ability at all). I also don't know of a hack that allows individual users to disable this option for this hack.

I don't see the problem really, if you don't like it don't use it. There are also those who do like it as an easy way to agree with a post without posting 'I agree' or something similar. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be used.
As to the comparison to Facebook likes: beside it being the same word, I think that comparison fails in many more ways than it is correct.

How about a simple "+1" as shorthand for "thumbs up"?

Yeah, it's like Google, but at least it's more abstract and general than "like", and should have some meaning for us spreadsheet RPG'ers. I'd keep the thumb icon though, it feels natural.

That said, maybe we could disable the stats on the right side? Personally I could live without those.

The bigger offender is the "Liked X times in Y Posts". It speaks nothing to the current post and is all about some senseless e-peen competition.

Yeah, it's like Google, but at least it's more abstract and general than "like", and should have some meaning for us spreadsheet RPG'ers. I'd keep the thumb icon though, it feels natural.

That said, maybe we could disable the stats on the right side? Personally I could live without those.

I can live without the stats as I also think its a useless feature. So I support your idea Arhu, and look I even wrote a reply instead of a thumbs up.:thumbsup:

The bigger offender is the "Liked X times in Y Posts". It speaks nothing to the current post and is all about some senseless e-peen competition.
Indeed, that's what I thought as well.

I'm a mathematician and I like stats of any kind...

Statistics are a precise and logical method for stating a half truth inaccurately … I love it ;)

Attachments

• boyfriend.jpg
    boyfriend.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
Yes, that's right up there with the 3 types of lies!! :)

Timed posting is annoying.

On and off, I am on the process of writing a lengthy reply but when I submit it, I have to re log in order to do so and my text is lost.

Consequently, I don't bother with that reply and go on with something else.

Is there a way that the time allowed to complete a post be modified?

Thanks.

A simple suggestion: Use notepad or a word processor first to write replies before posting. Should negate the time issue.

You actually mention two separate things.

The session duration is set to 20 minutes at the moment. If you are inactive during that period of timet your session expires. This is also used for the Who's online at the front page. It needs to be set at something. A very long time is not practical as the "who's online" will be incorrect and quite large.
An expired session requires you to login again, which can be automatic.

If you need to manually login again, you either don't allow cookies and/or you haven't enabled the automatic login option. If you do both, you will be automatically logged into the forums.

Note: I reduced the social overload of the appreciation button so that hopefully even grumpy people can utilize it without fear. :p

I like +1 much better than "like", but why don't we just use a small
post_thanks.png
icon instead? Should of course be slightly modified (e.g. in greyscale) for distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom