Gothic 3 - Unofficial Community Patch v1.5

I have 2GB of RAM and Gothic 3 has never crashed on me.

It seems that 1.5 is the last patch that the community is doing by themselves. The next one will be a joint effort between them and Spellbound. Maybe there's a chance that the fighting system and AI could get addressed after all.

I'm still not holding my breath either.

And you didn't set the Page file above 0 either? Hmmm... Maybe you're playing on lower settings them me or something. Mine seems to eat up memory when you save, and not give it back, so eventually it ends up running out.

I am really interested in trying these and hope they continue for at least as long as the Bloodlines patches. :)

I am still sort of pessimistic, since this publisher isn't known for smart/profitable decisions, which in turn help build a strong community support.
A perfect example is how the publisher seemed to have lost their wallet when PB had a patch started if not ready, but then suddenly found their wallet when they hired a new developer to work in the Original Property and World in place of PB.

Well, 2GB of ram still not enough for it to play for more then 30 mins. And I don't want to increase the Page File cause the game lags when it goes to the HD. Went to newegg instead, bought another 2 Gigs of the same ram. Man ram fell in price since spring. I bought the same two sticks for like 300ish in spring, they're 90 now with immediate $10 discount and another $35 mail in rebate. So its price is effectively 45 bucks.

I assume you are running Vista then ?
How does the game perform with Vista + 4 GB ?

As for XP + 2GB I had constant (every ~30 mins) crashes too untill I used
HiddenX's LAA fix...

I assume you are running Vista then ?
How does the game perform with Vista + 4 GB ?

As for XP + 2GB I had constant (every ~30 mins) crashes too untill I used
HiddenX's LAA fix...

No, I'm running XP. I'll try the fix, I guess. But if i'm going to let it use more then 3GB then I need to have those 3GB, I'll have to wait until those chips arrive.

Well, 2GB of ram still not enough for it to play for more then 30 mins. And I don't want to increase the Page File cause the game lags when it goes to the HD. Went to newegg instead, bought another 2 Gigs of the same ram. Man ram fell in price since spring. I bought the same two sticks for like 300ish in spring, they're 90 now with immediate $10 discount and another $35 mail in rebate. So its price is effectively 45 bucks.

I'm afraid it's not just the lack of RAM. Hmm, I'm getting acceptable performance with medium settings (I temporary lower the settings for liberation battles) at 800x600 on a 2GB rig with a not all that new graphics card. I'm not crash-free, but the crashes seen with 1.12 are only of two types, one where the game seems to load new data and hangs the PC completely, and one (only happened in Nordmar) where the ground ahead of me suddenly becomes transparent followed by a crash to desktop (and a corrupted save if I tried saving after the transparent ground showed up). I also had savegame crashes (out of memory? after saving) with some prior versions, and some crashes that seemed related to spell effects.

Btw, I think you will have to change some settings in XP to use more than 2GB.

Btw, I think you will have to change some settings in XP to use more than 2GB.

You need the " /3GB /userva=2800 " switches in your Boot.ini ...

Also you need the binaries of the game with the LAA flag set (That is what hiddenX's fix is about). I think you should try it out too (In your case it will
take the extra ram from the pafefile if you dont have more than 2GB, it may
slow down for a bit but it won't crash when it tries to allocate ram to load
new textures in example).

I dont think this fix impaired performance in my rig (I dont know if my 2xWD
raptors in raid 0 work significantly in my favour here). It most definetely reduced
crashes drastically I can say that for sure...

I'm not sure the LAA fix would be of any real benefit to me with that kind of tradeoff. Crashes are pretty rare with 1.12 (something like once every 10-20h of real time), but slowdowns will be there all the time.

Crashes are pretty rare with 1.12 (something like once every 10-20h of real time), but slowdowns will be there all the time.

You certainly dont need it then. I wasnt so lucky with 1.12 like I posted earlier.
Still the slowdowns should only be apparent only after the game (for some
reason) tries to allocate above the 2 GB mark. If that happens for any reason
then the game will crash, period, if you have the problem but not the fix,
so slowdowns are not an issue per se (Its clear this problem doesnt happen
to everyone judging from yours and JDR13's reports)...

It's been a while since I installed G3, but I think I used HiddenX's fix. Regardless, I never once had the game crash on me. Not once. Period. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Or it could have something to do with the fact that I never get to play more than 2 hours at a time?

It's been a while since I installed G3, but I think I used HiddenX's fix. Regardless, I never once had the game crash on me. Not once. Period. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Or it could have something to do with the fact that I never get to play more than 2 hours at a time?

Probably. When I used to let it use the Pagefile and play as though I had 4 gigs it would still run short, but after like 6 hours straight.

Back
Top Bottom