Risen 2 The Air Temple DLC - NA release

How is it integrated into the main game? If you've finished it, do you go back to an earlier save or something?

How is it integrated into the main game? If you've finished it, do you go back to an earlier save or something?

Its on Antigua where you find captain crow. You explore the island and come across your old druid friend from risen. He explains why he is here gives you a fetch and kill quest. You finish them he then joins your crew. From there you go to an island with more kill and fetch quests again.

After finishing the island you visit all 6 islands with each having a fetch and kill quest. When finished you have a conversation with him. That's all there is to it. Oh and you gain a few items.

Since I've replayed the game and finished it twice, the TempleAir DLC by words of many players seems very short, plus I'm not in NA but in Europe, I guess I won't buy it. At least not now. I'll wait a few months for a better price as I didn't delete my savegames.

I'll probably wait till it goes on sale and grab it before my next playthrough. I've never liked reloading old saves to play DLC.

I thought about replaying right away but then decided I'm going wait awhile and do a full Risen 1+2 run, probably right after playing Gothic 1-3.

Some people were claiming 20 minutes for the Temple of Air which is slightly exaggerated but you can quite easily finish the DLC in about an hour and if you play it thoroughly (explorer-style and not using quest markers) then it may be around the two hour mark until you finish the entire DLC, i.e. the Isle of Storms plus hunting down the critters and items on the other islands.
If I had to buy it separately I wouldn't pay a single penny more than $4.99 for it - at the very most.
It really sucks as separate content. If you just do it on the side while playing through the main game anyway it's OK but if you play the DLC isolated then you're most likely going to be quite disappointed. The content is just plain weak.

So perhaps ok for people doing a second playthrough for the 'other' side? And to see it with a more mobile hero and less mobile trees :)

So perhaps ok for people doing a second playthrough for the 'other' side?
Maybe if you don´t mind the money, but I´d say one could make a case for the game actually being worse with the DLC´s content in.
I´ve played through it before it got patched out and positive things I could say about it would be:
a) it utilizes a major character from the first game (he stays on the ship after the quest is over, but you can´t use him as a companion)
b) there´s a fairly meaty dialogue in the beginning that also partially concerns the events in the first game
Risen 2 is really light on ties with the first game so both of the above points adding a bit more sense of continuity between the titles is a good thing.
c) fairly nice weather effects on the added island
d) the added temple is, maybe besides the fire temple, the only somewhat puzzle-y one (though it doesn´t introduce any new elements)
Both of the above are really minor positives.

Other than these, it´s all crap.
The new island is entirely linear and with an exception of one pretty insignificant NPC encounter it´s all just tedious hack´n´slash against one new monster type + few short inane dialogue interceptions in between.
The rest of the quest is also just hack´n´slash, aka kill 18 of these here, kill 5 of these here, etc.
The quest also doesn´t really fit with the rest of the game.

It´s nice to have one more character from the first game in the sequel, but unfortunately the quest he comes with couldn´t be much worse really.
Of all the bigger quest arcs in the game this one is by far the worst and its current price is hilarious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom